Derailment thread for any and all derailments

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I know, right? I thought it was funny, and somewhat accurate, and next thing you know, I've got three grouchy rightists claiming I hate my country. :chuckle:
There used to be maps like this in popular restaurants when I was a kid, though the premise was a view from the Southern perspective.

Here's one from the NY vantage:

View attachment 26877

And this:
View attachment 26878

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I know, right? I thought it was funny, and somewhat accurate, and next thing you know, I've got three grouchy rightists claiming I hate my country. :chuckle:

Actually, chrys asked you a simple question, which you could have answered simply

Instead, you avoided it :think:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Actually, chrys asked you a simple question, which you could have answered simply

Instead, you avoided it :think:

He asked a stupid question. You butted in, he thanked you for butting in, ffreeloader said "whoa, a chance to dump a bowl of wet cornflakes on anna" and away we went... obviously none of us have anything better to do on a Wednesday in August...

Gary K

Banned
You wouldn't admit you saw one even if you did, so I'll put this here for your general disbelief:

I happen to love my state, while those of your general political persuasion frequently hope it'll fall into the ocean.
As usual, you're wrong on both counts.

1. I don't want California to drop into the ocean, although I wouldn't mind if it's corrupt ruling politicians did. It would be a big improvement for the state. The state itself has some very beautiful country, at least in northern California and the Sierra Nevadas. I'm not a real big fan of deserts so SoCal isn't one of my favorite places although I admit to never having been there. It might be, only I don't care for dry country. I like forests, mountains, and sparse populations. SoCal doesn't have much, if any, of that.

2. I still don't think you've said anything positive about the US as there is no context to your supposedly positive comment. Who knows if what you find positive is actually positive? If you actually have said something positive I have no problem saying you have. I just have never seen you post anything but negatives.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
As usual, you're wrong on both counts.

As usual, you put a personal gloss on things.

I didn't say YOU wanted California to drop into the ocean, since I don't know if you've said that or not. I said "those of your general political persuasion." Who have said it - a lot.

1. I don't want California to drop into the ocean, although I wouldn't mind if it's corrupt ruling politicians did. It would be a big improvement for the state. The state itself has some very beautiful country, at least in northern California and the Sierra Nevadas. I'm not a real big fan of deserts so SoCal isn't one of my favorite places although I admit to never having been there. It might be, only I don't care for dry country. I like forests, mountains, and sparse populations. SoCal doesn't have much, if any, of that.

2. I still don't think you've said anything positive about the US as there is no context to your supposedly positive comment. Who knows if what you find positive is actually positive? If you actually have said something positive I have no problem saying you have. I just have never seen you post anything but negatives.

Actually SoCal has quite a lot of sparsely-populated area and wide open spaces, all you have to do is drive far enough inland. It's true we don't have a lot of green except for a few short weeks in the spring and it's exhilarating, because I do love green, but this is home. And I love it when it's dry, when it drops to single-digit humidity in the fall and the sky is clear as glass, it's like all the pieces fall into place for a little while at least.

For the record, I love this country. That's all. I don't owe you or chrys or anyone else more than that. Take it or leave it. Apart from that, it's impossible to talk politics without talking negatives, there's an ideological battle going on that isn't new, it isn't funny, and it's far from over. If I wanted to comb through all the political posts here I'd find everyone with negatives, they're just different negatives.

Gary K

Banned
As usual, you put a personal gloss on things.

I didn't say YOU wanted California to drop into the ocean, since I don't know if you've said that or not. I said "those of your general political persuasion." Who have said it - a lot.

Actually SoCal has quite a lot of sparsely-populated area and wide open spaces, all you have to do is drive far enough inland. It's true we don't have a lot of green except for a few short weeks in the spring and it's exhilarating, because I do love green, but this is home. And I love it when it's dry, when it drops to single-digit humidity in the fall and the sky is clear as glass, it's like all the pieces fall into place for a little while at least.

For the record, I love this country. That's all. I don't owe you or chrys or anyone else more than that. Take it or leave it. Apart from that, it's impossible to talk politics without talking negatives, there's an ideological battle going on that isn't new, it isn't funny, and it's far from over. If I wanted to comb through all the political posts here I'd find everyone with negatives, they're just different negatives.

You didn't say I wanted California to drop into the ocean?
while those of your general political persuasion frequently hope it'll fall into the ocean.
Those of "my" general political persuasion" doesn't include me? I'm not a part of that group? You make me laugh with your feeble attempts at mind games.

I also have very little doubt that the vast majority of those of "my political persuasion" want the physical state of California to disappear into the ocean. They, like me, would love to see the corrupt leadership of California disappear into the ocean, but the state itself? Not a chance.

You can have all the hot and dry you can get. I'll stay a long ways away from the hot. I can't, and never have been able, to handle the heat. I was born and bred for cold weather country.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You didn't say I wanted California to drop into the ocean? Those of "my" general political persuasion" doesn't include me? I'm not a part of that group? You make me laugh with your feeble attempts at mind games.

The words are clear, until you read into them what you want to see.

I also have very little doubt that the vast majority of those of "my political persuasion" want the physical state of California to disappear into the ocean. They, like me, would love to see the corrupt leadership of California disappear into the ocean, but the state itself? Not a chance.

Just because you haven't seen them say it doesn't mean they haven't. I've seen it said many, many times over the years.

You can have all the hot and dry you can get. I'll stay a long ways away from the hot. I can't, and never have been able, to handle the heat. I was born and bred for cold weather country.

I don't like hot and dry, just dry. Humidity in the teens or single-digits, with clear mild days and clear chilly nights. Perfection for a day or two at a time, in the late fall.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Come up north in the winter when it's well below zero - you'll get all the dry you can handle. :)

Gary K

Banned
Come up north in the winter when it's well below zero - you'll get all the dry you can handle. :)

I've lived in the north all my life. Not Alaska north, but near the Canadian border north. The year I was born it was so cold the sap in the trees was freezing and splitting living trees wide open. I was told it was like cannons going off at night. It also snowed from a clear blue sky as whatever moisture was in the air froze and fell out of suspension. Of times I can remember, it got down to 65 below zero for a week or so when I was a kid and we were living in Drummond, Montana.

I love it when the sun is shining and the temperature is low enough the snow crunches under your boots. I could take six months of that and six months of tough sledding every year.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
you were catholic and republican and it seems you have rejected both
your 'america beautiful' was awful
so
I asked if you don't like it
you didn't answer
so
my assuming the worst is reasonable

It was a humorous weather map. Why did you make it into something terrible? Serious question.

No, I'm not a Republican anymore.

Yes, I'm still technically a Catholic, although not a very good one at the moment as I've told you before, so you didn't really need to ask the question, did you? We've been here before. But considering you believe in reincarnation while still calling yourself Catholic, I guess I'm probably as Catholic as you are.