AMR No Longer With Us

Nang

TOL Subscriber
AMR taught me how to do links
I will always remember that
Please don't hold it against him
We never got along
He was not happy with us Romans
Did anyone else know that he was a Jesuit priest?

I am unaware he ever took the vows of RC priesthood due to publicly confessed & personal issues re:celibacy. He studied courses about Roman Catholicism under a Jesuit professor at a Santa Clara community college.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Why would you come into this thread to say that?

You should rethink it and try again. This is a notice of the passing of a friend.
You do know of course that "Just sayin" was like his trademark line? And that therefore my post was actually a plain homage to him, especially in using one of his two famed smilies? :plain:

How about you rethink it. How about you rethink everything.

Pest.

Idolater

Nobody does :p

Just sayin'
I liked AMR. 'Still do. It was certainly sad to hear of his passing from the earth. We disagreed in theology, which is just par, for this particular course.

And I know that nobody here likes Me. Least of all the mods, the other users, and probably anybody else who drops in or swings by.

It's good to have this publicly published record of his thoughts and his interactions with competing views and arguments, for anyone now or in the future, for as long as TOL is available, to examine and to learn from. It's the same for all the others who we've lost, like Psalmist, like Angel, like others.

We're an anonymous internet discussion board, so it's our words that either rise or fall, on their own, and not because of whoever writes those words. AMR's words are quality words, even if you disagree, there's a lot of work in his words.

I don't know how someone can take me being plain and ordinary about AMR not liking me, as somehow 'vandalizing' his memory. There was no intent to do that on my part. It's creepy that others are pretending that they can see into my heart.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How about I don't recall asking your opinion about how to post on TOL.
No one asks for anyone's opinion about how to post on TOL. It never stops anyone from doing it anyway.

I think AMR found that amusing, for the most part. And then a lot of it got old for him.

My post was about him, manifestly. I used a catch phrase of his, and one of his two vaunted smilies.
I get it. Just an initial reaction because of the "me" part. Like showing up to a wake to tell people you weren't friends...but I can see now that there was regard in your intent.

I'm just a little touchy when it comes to Patrick. He and red/AB were my first friends here and he went out of his way, repeatedly, to offer me aid and comfort, guidance, and the occasional OK. Forget I said anything about it.

Would it possible for someone to post a local obituary of Patrick? I never knew AMR's real name until I read it in this thread. I'd like to know more about Patrick and his life.
On obituaries, I haven't been able to find more than the cursory funeral home bit. I'm not sure if there was a local paper in his Arizona community, but I'm looking.

Idolater

No one asks for anyone's opinion about how to post on TOL. It never stops anyone from doing it anyway.

I think AMR found that amusing, for the most part. And then a lot of it got old for him.

I get it. Just an initial reaction because of the "me" part. Like showing up to a wake to tell people you weren't friends...but I can see now that there was regard in your intent.

I'm just a little touchy when it comes to Patrick. He and red/AB were my first friends here and he went out of his way, repeatedly, to offer me aid and comfort, guidance, and the occasional OK. Forget I said anything about it.
I'm sorry. I hope that you now see that I did nothing but honor him in my post. I can't apologize for not doing anything wrong, but I am sorry that it seemed disrespectful to you. I respected AMR even while disagreeing with him, and if I could converse him now I know exactly the argument tack that I'd take with him, and given his current situation it'd go a lot like, "Told you so." That's a joke, that's inside in as much as he was Excatholic, and I argued with him that his Anticatholicism was incorrect---and now he knows.

He had strong mentor relationships with many on TOL, which I couldn't ever partake in because I disagreed with his theology, having been down the same theological road as him before, spying the hard cases, realizing all those were solved /didn't exist in Catholicism, and wondering what kept him from seeing the same thing, especially him being Excatholic, and a studied one at that (a Jesuit). I think he handled them reasonably, from what I saw publicly.
...On obituaries, I haven't been able to find more than the cursory funeral home bit. I'm not sure if there was a local paper in his Arizona community, but I'm looking.
He's still alive, conscious right now, and if he's been purified /purged he can read these posts I'm sure, even watch us as we type them. If Catholicism's correct. Which I believe it is, and I know that he does now too. We have eternity to catch up with him, an eternity with every other Christian, each. There's no such thing as a "head start" in eternity.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend /mentor. I know that he is in a better place. My faith has all the saints cheering us on, rooting for us, for all of us sheep as we do our best to follow our Shepherd. He is right now cheering you on, it's possible, if he's refined to purest gold by now, but assuredly every saint in heaven is definitely cheering us all on right now. We're on the 'big screen.' This is what it's all about.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Wow! Patrick was such a learned and accomplished man. I'm sad I never got to know him on a more personal level. When he found out I was a mechanical engineer he exclaimed, "Oh so you are a metal bender?!" That made me laugh all the time.
It's not like we won't see him again...