Life is short.....

glorydaz

i'm offended by those emoticons

Perhaps it's the order in which they are presented. :think:

But, if you use your words, and phrase it just right, you can still offend but not be punished.

It's a puzzle that only a few have mastered. :sigh:

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
The only line is between common sense and nonsense.
We all feel and think that way. The truth, the facts, are independent of how we think or feel. What is the saying, something like, "Facts don't care about your feelings /emotions /opinions?" Something like that.

How do we treat those who are wrong?

How did the Apostles deal with them? They rained down fire and brimstone upon them, rhetorically, and since they were specially gifted with the Spirit of truth, we know that those warnings and prophecies and predictions were true.

Are we to mimic them? Are we of the same type of person /office in the Body of Christ? If anybody is, the Apostles themselves would have indicated it, and I believe that they have, they instituted the office of Bishop. Now, if you disagree with me, then I have reason to think that you're defying common sense. You're arguing for nonsense. But to you, it's the exact opposite, you think that I'm the enemy of common sense and the champion of nonsense.

How are we to engage each other, given this circumstance?

This is what I was trying to get at in my post. The line between constructive challenging and being a pill is definite, even if it is hard to discern. You have a right your view, I have a right to mine, and since we disagree, how do we deal with each other?

I feel like it's a given that we'll never tire of trying to persuade each other that our view is correct, and that the others' view is incorrect, even though we have a right to be wrong. I try to use the concept of respect, and that respect is concerned with primarily recognizing, affirming, and protecting our rights. We don't have a right to have nobody disagree with us, that's a phony right, fake news. But we have a right to be treated with respect.

How do we navigate this tempestuous sea?

glorydaz

How do we treat those who are wrong?

Wrong in actions or wrong in doctrine?

I was speaking of those who are jerks (if I dare use that term).

But, for someone like you, wanting to discuss doctrine, then we would discuss it like adults, of course. :)

How did the Apostles deal with them? They rained down fire and brimstone upon them, rhetorically, and since they were specially gifted with the Spirit of truth, we know that those warnings and prophecies and predictions were true.

Are we to mimic them? Are we of the same type of person /office in the Body of Christ? If anybody is, the Apostles themselves would have indicated it, and I believe that they have, they instituted the office of Bishop.

I believe you're confusing the role of the Apostles with that of believers in the assembly.

How do we navigate this tempestuous sea?

Out in the world, we do unto others as they do to us. Poke them back when they poke you. Otherwise, you might as well take your ball and go home.

But, in matters of doctrine, we should be always searching for truth, and be careful of getting stuck in the same old rut we've always been in.