12. Atl
13. Gia
14. Det
15. SF
16. Arz

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
For an 11-1 team the Rams' +121 point differential is kind of weak, no?
Sign of the rules altered, pinball times we're living in.

To put that into perspective the 2007 16-0 Patriots had a +315 point differential which is the NFL record. That 2007 Patriots team was amazing, arguably the greatest team in NFL history.
Not sure they'd make my top five, all-time, but a really solid team to be sure.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Rather generous to Green Bay I'd say being they just fired their coach
It's more about the state of the teams below them.

Carolina just lost its pressure valve and Cam is hurt. Washington doesn't have a qb. TB is up and down so much they qualify as a ferris wheel. Atlanta has talent to spare, but can't pull it together (coaching change coming). The Giants' best qb is a wr. Detroit gave up weeks ago, SF (see: Washington, Giants and TB, depending). Arizona would only be competitive in a conference that consisted of it and Oakland.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Everyone needs one of those. New England didn't get it when they were on fire and they collapsed in the SB against a Giants team they should have beaten.
For an 11-1 team the Rams' +121 point differential is kind of weak, no? To put that into perspective the 2007 16-0 Patriots had a +315 point differential which is the NFL record. That 2007 Patriots team was amazing, arguably the greatest team in NFL history.
Yesterday's Pats loss was shocking. But in perspective, we Bostonians have endured far worse, the 2007 NFL season's championship game, with that Giants miracle catch, is just one example.
The old great Bears team got a surprise from Miami in route to their eventual win and it helped.

That Saints team can beat anyone on a given Sunday, but the Rams are going to be the obstacle.
I don't think so.
I'm just not ready to believe in their qb yet. He wasn't this before the coaching change, so either he's been coached into his potential or he's a system product, which means if someone can kink that he won't transcend the game plan. Time will tell.
The coach is too young too.
NE smells vulnerable and the Steelers would be the perfect team to expose that powerfully, BUT the Pats have been in their heads for a while and there's just something Jeckyll and Hyde about this team that won't let me trust them. If not now, never.
Looks like Ben's going to be questionable for the game due to rib injury? That's not going to help them.
They're less frightening without their star rb, but still dangerous. Maybe the ultimate puncher's chance team.
Their chances got better yesterday, but they still need to win their first playoff game, and that's the looming challenge for them going forward.
The Chargers are the most complete team on the AFC side of it. And don't sleep on Baltimore. They're a wild card. I think Houston has made their case, but I think SD is a better version of that.
The Chargers are excellent. They've got a monkey on their back wrt the playoffs also though. Time will tell, and that time is rapidly approaching.
I'm close to believing that. They have talent. When the defense plays up to it and they run the ball they can play against most of the teams in their conference. I don't believe they will beat the Rams or the Saints on the road though.
They're a disciplined, mentally tough team, and they look even stronger this year (at this point) than they ever did two seasons ago. They've got the QB imo, and that's saying a lot.
Possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.
I don't bet sports, but if the odds looked favorable I might think about making a small bet on them to be the NFC's representative.
Home field is going to mean more than usual for both conferences this year.
Yeah obviously at least Baltimore and NE win their games yesterday, if they played them at home. Two recent cases in point.

drbrumley

Doc's Power Rating week ending 12/11/18

1. New Orleans (11-2) +164
2. L.A. Rams (11-2) +112
3. New England (9-4) +71
4. Kansas City (11-2) +120
5. Houston (9-4) +64
6. Chicago (9-4) +112
7. Dallas (8-5) +30
8. L.A. Chargers (10-3) +96
9. Tennessee (7-6) -3
10. Indianapolis (7-6) +49
11. Miami (7-6) (-55)
12. Pittsburgh (7-5-1) +61
13. Baltimore (7-6) +80
14. Seattle (8-5) +74
15. Carolina (6-7) -8
16. Denver (6-7) +8
17. N.Y. Giants (5-8) -24
18. Washington (6-7) -48
19. Philadelphia (6-7) -14
20. Detroit (5-8) -48
21. Tampa Bay (5-8) -51
22. Cincinnati (5-8) -90
23. Cleveland (5-7-1) -40
24. Green Bay (5-7-1) +8
25. Minnesota (6-6-1) -9
26. Jacksonville (4-9) -61
27. Atlanta (4-9) -51
28. N.Y. Jets (4-9) -60
29. Buffalo (4-9) -119
30. Oakland (3-10) -144
31. San Francisco (3-10) -75
32. Arizona (3-10) -149

drbrumley

San Diego @ Kansas City KC -3.5

The Los Angeles Chargers have chased the Kansas City Chiefs all year since losing the season-opening game between the rivals. On Thursday night, they get the chance to catch the AFC West leaders when the teams meet at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.

The Chiefs (11-2) lead the Chargers (10-3) by one game in the division. Both teams are also vying for the best record in the AFC with three games to go. The Chargers have a commanding lead in the AFC wild-card race.

Doc's Take: I'm taking the Chargers.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
San Diego @ Kansas City KC -3.5

The Los Angeles Chargers have chased the Kansas City Chiefs all year since losing the season-opening game between the rivals. On Thursday night, they get the chance to catch the AFC West leaders when the teams meet at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.

The Chiefs (11-2) lead the Chargers (10-3) by one game in the division. Both teams are also vying for the best record in the AFC with three games to go. The Chargers have a commanding lead in the AFC wild-card race.

Doc's Take: I'm taking the Chargers.
I took KC. Here was my look:

Game tonight.

Chargers @ KC (3.5)

Finally, we get to see if the Bolts are as good as they look on paper. If they're going to advance to the SB they'll probably have to manage a win on the road against KC or a lesser AFC powerhouse. SD (I know) has the best overall balance of any team in the league, but how will it translate in a tough road game?

They lost to KC at home by 10 early in the season. Then they lost to the Rams by 13 in a road game, eeked out a 1 pt win at Ten in week 7 before the bye week and a following, impressive 8 point win against the Seahawks in Seattle. They beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh late on a fg then let a headless Bengals play them relatively close last week in their own park.

I want to believe in the Bolts, but I'm still not sure that I do.

Meanwhile, Mahomes looks more and more like a young version of GB's signal caller with a better supporting cast and coaching. Their win against a tough Baltimore team gave me a better sense of them as a team. The defense is a liability, but seems to find a way to play just well enough to give the puncher a chance.

I'm taking KC in a shootout. I haven't had time to crunch numbers, but the line looks coverable. I'm thinking 34-30-ish.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Doc's Power Rating week ending 12/11/18

1. New Orleans (11-2) +164
2. L.A. Rams (11-2) +112
3. New England (9-4) +71
4. Kansas City (11-2) +120
5. Houston (9-4) +64
6. Chicago (9-4) +112
7. Dallas (8-5) +30
8. L.A. Chargers (10-3) +96
9. Tennessee (7-6) -3
10. Indianapolis (7-6) +49
I have it, going into tonight's game:

1. NO
2. KC
3. Rams
4. Chi
5. Chargers
6. Bal
7. NE
8. Sea
9. Hou
10 Pit

11. Miami (7-6) (-55)
12. Pittsburgh (7-5-1) +61
13. Baltimore (7-6) +80
14. Seattle (8-5) +74
15. Carolina (6-7) -8
16. Denver (6-7) +8
17. N.Y. Giants (5-8) -24
18. Washington (6-7) -48
19. Philadelphia (6-7) -14
20. Detroit (5-8) -48
11. Ind
12. Dal
13. GB
14. Den
15. Ten
16. Car
17. Min
18. Phi
19.Cle
20. Gia

21. Tampa Bay (5-8) -51
22. Cincinnati (5-8) -90
23. Cleveland (5-7-1) -40
24. Green Bay (5-7-1) +8
25. Minnesota (6-6-1) -9
26. Jacksonville (4-9) -61
27. Atlanta (4-9) -51
28. N.Y. Jets (4-9) -60
29. Buffalo (4-9) -119
30. Oakland (3-10) -144
31. San Francisco (3-10) -75
32. Arizona (3-10) -149
21. Atl
22. Mia
23. Cin
24. TB
25. Det
24. Was
26. Cin
27. Jets
28. Jac
29. SF
30. Buf
31. Oak
32. Arz

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I want to believe in the Bolts, but I'm still not sure that I do.
Now you'd think last night might have settled my unease...but it didn't. In fact, it underscored it on both sides of the contest.

KC was, very late in the game, late in the 4th quarter, in a position to win the game handily. The Chargers had squandered opportunity early in the game. It was going to end a bit more one sided than I thought.

What happened? A couple of things that probably worried most of us who have taken a liking to KC and its ridiculously talented qb. First, the defense that needs pieces began to collapse. The team accustomed to losing late began to look like itself. Second, the offense faltered as the Chargers sparked. The absence of Hunt, of making tough yardage and hitting the odd big carry showed up against a balanced and aggressive defense.

So the Bolts showed me both why I lack confidence in them moving into the playoffs and why we have to take them seriously as a dark horse, while the Chiefs demonstrated that sometimes principle comes at a cost, and demonstrating that maybe, maybe they aren't quite ready yet.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Playoff Picture

AFC East

New England

Why? No team in a very long time has had the record of post season success as the Pats, with different teams and different strengths. Great coaching and one of the best to ever lead an offense. The defense gives up yards, but it's 11th in terms of pts allowed, which is good enough to help the offense. That offense? 7th passing yds and 15th rushing. 6th in pts scored. That's a balanced team.

Long run? One of their weakest defenses in memory against the pass. They won't have home field advantage and this year they just haven't been good enough on the road.

Remaining schedule: @ Pit, then home against the Bills and Jets.

Projected: 10-6

AFC West

Kansas City

Why? Despite a loss at home to the Chargers, they have the advantage if they hold serve.

Why not? Without Hunt they simply don't have the balance they need. Their defensive secondary isn't great and that's key if you can't slow it down when you need to. They're 28th in pts allowed, meaning they can't afford a misfire that's likely with a yearling under center.

Remaining schedule: @ Sea, which is a coin toss, then at home against Oakland.

Projected: 13-3

Chargers

Why? As I've said for a very long time, they have the best balance overall of any team in their conference. They're 4th in offensive production and 8th in pts allowed. They have a coach with a gunslinger attitude and a qb to match the impulse. Fearless.

Why not? Same thing. That coach/qb combo can light you up, grind out a win, or throw one away on a gamble. In the playoffs that's a problem. Also, they're injury riddled, adding another to the list in thier win against KC.

Remaining schedule: Bal at home then a road trip to Den.

Projected: 13-3

One of these teams will win home field advantage along with the division championship, likely as not. Both have tough games on the road, but KC has a creampuff ending while the Chargers have to face two very tough teams. Well, one tough one at home and one tough environment on the road.

AFC North

Baltimore

Why? Defensive dominance and enough offense to get it done. Baltimore is 13th in terms of offensive pt production. A strong middlin offense is more than a great defense needs to be competitive with anyone. And that defense? NFL best in pts allowed. 3rd best against the pass and 4th against the run.

Why not? If you have 2 qbs you don't have a qb. Flacco has never lived up to his potential, post SB win, but he's solid, which should be more than enough to give him the job this year of finishing. The next guy, the young guy, is all sorts of good with promise aplenty, but he doesn't secure the ball. He's a turnover machine waiting to happen any given gameday. If they ride him through the playoffs it will cost them.

Remaining schedule: Home against Cleveland and TB, with a tough road game against the Bolts in the middle.

Projected: 9-7

Pittsburgh

Why? Top 5 offense. 16th defensively.

Why not? A tough closing schedule and a lack of defensive dominance should spell disaster. Mostly this is about injury and Bell's absence. If he was in the lineup this team could be as good as any in the AFC. His absence makes the difference. It might see them missing a division crown and even a spot in the playoffs.

Remaining schedule: home against NE, on the road against the Saints, then homecoming with Cin.

Projected: 8-7-1

AFC South

Houston

Why? They just keep improving. The defense has been relatively healthy and Watson is returning to pre-injury form. 12th in pts scored, with an emphasis on the run (3rd). While they're an unimpressive 17th in passing yardage, Watson makes those yards count. He's averaging over 100 rating at his position

Why not? History. They haven't established a sense of a team that can perform in the playoffs. They lack the gravitas of a winning tradition. It can matter. The Indy game has to have shaken their confidence, as they'd averaged nearly a buck fifty in rushing going into it and had a team not exactly known for its defense shutting them down.

Remaining schedule: They have the Jets and Jac at home and a tough road trip to Philly.

Projected: 10-6

Indianapolis

Why? Luck is all the way back. Likely the comeback player of the year. 8th best scoring offense is largely his doing, with the Colts at 6th in passing yd production. Indy's defense is 15th in pts allowed, a solid and surprisingly so turn out for a team that hasn't been known for having much of one since the days of Dungy. Better still, they're 8th against the pass.

Why not? They're not very good at rushing the ball and they have a brutal closing schedule.

Remaining schedule:
Dal is coming, then the Giants, before they go on the road to face Ten.

Projected: 9-7, possibly 10-6...I really don't know. They could win against Ten. They aren't likely to beat Dallas. The Giants are a wild card of sorts lately.

Tennessee

Why? An up and down team that can surprise you when you aren't expecting it.

Why not? I think they likely lose 2 of their last 3 and that puts them out of the playoff picture.

Remaining schedule: at the Gia, then at home against Was and Indy.

Projected: 8-8, maybe 9-7

drbrumley

Tonight's games

Houston @ N.Y. Jets (HOU -7)

The Houston Texans finally saw their nine-game winning streak come to an end with last weekend's home loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

Still, the Texans (9-4) remain in control of their own destiny with three games left to play. Houston has a chance to wrap up the AFC South title with a win at the New York Jets on Saturday afternoon -- and a little help. It currently holds a two-game lead over Indianapolis and Tennessee in the division.
The Texans remain in the mix for the No. 2 seed and a first-round bye in the AFC playoffs, but head coach Bill O'Brien is more concerned with getting his players focused on the Jets due to a shorter week of preparation.

Doc's Take: I'm taking Houston to cover the 7.

Cleveland @ Denver (DEN -2.5)

The Denver Broncos and Cleveland Browns are both clinging to long-shot playoff hopes in a crowded AFC postseason picture.

The Browns have to win out to have a remote chance of reaching the playoffs for the first time since 2002, but they will have to conquer a major nemesis when they visit the Broncos on Saturday night.

Doc's Take: Taking Denver and the 2.5

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Tonight's games

Houston @ N.Y. Jets (HOU -7)

The Houston Texans finally saw their nine-game winning streak come to an end with last weekend's home loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

Still, the Texans (9-4) remain in control of their own destiny with three games left to play. Houston has a chance to wrap up the AFC South title with a win at the New York Jets on Saturday afternoon -- and a little help. It currently holds a two-game lead over Indianapolis and Tennessee in the division.
The Texans remain in the mix for the No. 2 seed and a first-round bye in the AFC playoffs, but head coach Bill O'Brien is more concerned with getting his players focused on the Jets due to a shorter week of preparation.

Doc's Take: I'm taking Houston to cover the 7.

Cleveland @ Denver (DEN -2.5)

The Denver Broncos and Cleveland Browns are both clinging to long-shot playoff hopes in a crowded AFC postseason picture.

The Browns have to win out to have a remote chance of reaching the playoffs for the first time since 2002, but they will have to conquer a major nemesis when they visit the Broncos on Saturday night.

Doc's Take: Taking Denver and the 2.5
I like both of your picks. I was surprised by the Bolts/Chiefs game...well, surprised inside the last minute or so. Ridiculous.

Houston 26, Jets 17

Cle 16, Den 24

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
1-1 and a push Sigh. Cleveland no longer in the gutter...Good for them.
And Denver still needs a quarterback...

Mia @ Min (6.5)

Oak @ Cin (2.5)

TB @ Bal (7.5)

Dal @ Ind (2.5)

Det @ Buf (2.5)

GB @ Chi (5.5)

Ten @ Gia (2.5)

Was @ Jac (6.5)

Arz @ Atl (8.5)

Sea (5.5) @ SF

NE (1.5) @ Pittsburgh

Phi @ Rams (9.5)

NO (6.5) @ Car

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So, a 10-6 week, which is pretty good, considering.

The Bad:

I can't say I was terribly surprised by NO stumbling on offense on the road again. Three consecutive aways that began with a streaking Cowboys team. And Brees isn't quite Brees outside of a dome. Great opportunity for the defense to mature, and it managed it.

I was surprised by Philly. How funny would it be if Foles did it again and left town as a two time back up winner of SBs before finding a team, say, New York, to call home?

Seattle losing to SF on the road was both surprising and disappointing. They aren't as ready to make post season noise as I'd thought.

I took a flyer on GB keeping it close and that didn't work out. Should have, but didn't.

Denver losing at home to Cleveland...either the Browns are getting better, faster than I thought they would or Denver just still needs a qb. Or both.

The KC loss took a historic defensive collapse and mostly showed us that this team isn't exactly what it was with Hunt rushing to take pressure off a young and potential MVP qb.

The Good:

Calling the Colts upset of that Dallas MO was rewarding.

The equally mild Ten over Gia was another salve for what ailed me.

Why other people thought Jacksonville would beat Washington I'll never know, let alone by 7.

Taking the Steelers to do what they haven't been able to, beat the Pats when it mattered, felt good.

And the win total was satisfying after I went dead even last week (shudders). Looking forward to week 16. :D

drbrumley

Doc's Power Ranking for week 16

1. New Orleans 12-2 167
2. L.A. Rams 11-3 105
3. New England 9-5 64
4. Kansas City 11-3 119
5. L.A. Chargers 11-3 97
6. Houston 10-4 71
7. Chicago 10-4 119
8. Tennessee 8-6 14
9. Indianapolis 8-6 72
10. Pittsburgh 8-5-1 68
11. Dallas 8-6 7
12. Baltimore 8-6 88
13. Philadelphia 7-7 -7
14. Miami 7-7 -79
15. Seattle 8-6 71
16. Carolina 6-8 -11
17. Denver 6-8 7
18. Washington 7-7 -45
19. Cleveland 6-7-1 -39
20. Cincinnati 6-8 -76
21. N.Y. Giants 5-9 -41
22. Minnesota 7-6-1 15
23. Detroit 5-9 -49
24. Tampa Bay 5-9 -59
25. Green Bay 5-8-1 1
26. Atlanta 5-9 -25
27. Buffalo 5-9 -118
28. Jacksonville 4-10 -64
29. N.Y. Jets 4-10 -67
30. San Francisco 4-10 -72
31. Oakland 3-11 -158
32. Arizona 3-11 -175

drbrumley

Redskins at Titans Tennessee
Ravens at Chargers L.A. Chargers
Bengals at Browns Cleveland
Buccaneers at Cowboys Dallas
Vikings at Lions Minnesota
Bills at Patriots New England
Packers at Jets Green Bay
Texans at Eagles Houston
Falcons at Panthers Carolina
Giants at Colts Indianapolis
Jaguars at Dolphins Jacksonville
Rams at Cardinals L.A. Rams
Bears at 49ers Chicago
Steelers at Saints New Orleans
Chiefs at Seahawks Kansas City
Broncos at Raiders Denver

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Redskins at Titans Tennessee
Ravens at Chargers L.A. Chargers
Bengals at Browns Cleveland
Buccaneers at Cowboys Dallas
Vikings at Lions Minnesota
Bills at Patriots New England
Packers at Jets Green Bay
Texans at Eagles Houston
Falcons at Panthers Carolina
Giants at Colts Indianapolis
Jaguars at Dolphins Jacksonville
Rams at Cardinals L.A. Rams
Bears at 49ers Chicago
Steelers at Saints New Orleans
Chiefs at Seahawks Kansas City
Broncos at Raiders Denver
You going to pick the games?

Also, you're overrating the Pats. They're awful on the road and they'll be on the road come playoffs.