Quotations of the day

FineLinen

1463754970-the-only-thing-worse-than-being-blind-is-having-sight-and-no-vision.jpg

FineLinen

“When we learn to read the story of Jesus and see it as the story of the love of God, doing for us what we could not do for ourselves – that insight produces, again and again, a sense of astonished gratitude which is very near the heart of authentic Christian experience.” -N.T. Wright-

“The Bible is the story of two gardens: Eden and Gethsemane. In the first, Adam took a fall. In the second, Jesus took a stand. In the first, God sought Adam. In the second, Jesus sought God. In Eden, Adam hid from God. In Gethsemane, Jesus emerged from the tomb. In Eden, Satan led Adam to a tree that led to his death. From Gethsemane, Jesus went to a tree that led to our life.” -Max Lucado-

christian-quotes-4.jpg

FineLinen

"God must be accomplishing a design invariable and without the shadow of turning, the design to save every one of us everlastingly." –Florence Nightingale-

iu

FineLinen

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." -Helen Keller-

“Most people are not really free. They are confined by the niche in the world that they carve out for themselves. They limit themselves to fewer possibilities by the narrowness of their vision.” - V.S. Naipaul-

FineLinen

“Man can certainly flee from God, but he cannot escape Him… He may let go of God, but God does not let go of him.” -Karl Barth-

"God will always be with us. The mere fact that it takes place at all, that God stands before man as his Lord, that man’s existence can become his confrontation with God’s command, always means that God does not will to be without us, but, no matter who and what we may be, to be with us, that He Himself is always ‘God with us,’ Emmanuel.” — Karl Barth

FineLinen

“The measure of a Christian is not in the height of his grasp but in the depth of his love” - Clarence Jordan-

“Faith is not belief in spite of evidence but a life in scorn of the consequences.” -Clarence Jordan-

FineLinen

“When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die.” - Deitrich Bonhoeffer-

God did not direct His call to Isaiah— Isaiah overheard God saying, ". . . who will go for Us?"

The call of God is not just for a select few but for everyone. Whether I hear God’s call or not depends on the condition of my ears, and exactly what I hear depends upon my spiritual attitude.” - Oswald Chambers-

FineLinen

“Jesus's resurrection is the beginning of God's new project not to snatch people away from earth to heaven but to colonize earth with the life of heaven. That, after all, is what the Lord's Prayer is about.” - N.T. Wright-

“Made for spirituality, we wallow in introspection. Made for joy, we settle for pleasure. Made for justice, we clamor for vengeance. Made for relationship, we insist on our own way. Made for beauty, we are satisfied with sentiment. But new creation has already begun. The sun has begun to rise. Christians are called to leave behind, in the tomb of Jesus Christ, all that belongs to the brokenness and incompleteness of the present world ... That, quite simply, is what it means to be Christian: to follow Jesus Christ into the new world, God's new world, which he has thrown open before us.” - N.T. Wright.-

iu

FineLinen

"How glorious the splendor of a human heart that trusts that it is loved!" - Brennan Manning-

"The gospel is absurd and the life of Jesus is meaningless unless we believe that He lived, died, and rose again with but one purpose in mind: to make brand-new creation. Not to make people with better morals but to create a community of prophets and professional lovers, men and women who would surrender to the mystery of the fire of the Spirit that burns within, who would live in ever greater fidelity to the omnipresent Word of God, who would enter into the center of it all, the very heart and mystery of Christ, into the center of the flame that consumes, purifies, and sets everything aglow with peace, joy, boldness, and extravagant, furious love. This, my friend, is what it really means to be a Christian." -Brennan Manning-

iu

FineLinen

"Often we don’t see the majesty of God’s design because we’re caught up in the mediocrity of our own designs.” - Craig D. Lounsbrough-

"If you have reached limits in your understanding of the exceeding love, grace and glory of God be patient. Our limits are met with His exceedingly above." -David E. Johnson-

“Once I finally understand the immensity of my own impoverishment, I am finally in a position to see the enormity of God’s majesty.” - Craig D. Lounsbrough-

FineLinen

“Whether it's a Christian or a non-Christian, there's nothing like suffering to show us how small, needy, and not in control we are. Suffering has a way of sobering us up to the realization that we can't make it on our own, that we need help, that we're broken.” - Tullian Tchividjian-

“Where there is love, it is Jesus that will surely triumph.” - Richard Wurmbrand-

iu

Last edited:

FineLinen

"When I trust deeply that today God is truly with me and holds me safe in a divine embrace, guiding every one of my steps I can let go of my anxious need to know how tomorrow will look, or what will happen next month or next year. I can be fully where I am and pay attention to the many signs of God's love within me and around me." -Henri Nouwen-

iu

Last edited:

FineLinen

“Christian ethics is not a matter of discovering what's going on in the world and getting in tune with it. It isn't a matter of doing things to earn God's favor. It is not about trying to obey dusty rulebooks from long ago or far away. It is about practicing, in the present, the tunes we shall sing in God's new world.” - N.T. Wright-

iu

FineLinen

“Because salvation is by grace through faith, I believe that among the countless number of people standing in front of the throne and in front of the Lamb, dressed in white robes and holding palms in their hands (see Revelation 7:9), I shall see the prostitute from the Kit-Kat Ranch in Carson City, Nevada, who tearfully told me that she could find no other employment to support her two-year-old son. I shall see the woman who had an abortion and is haunted by guilt and remorse but did the best she could faced with grueling alternatives; the businessman besieged with debt who sold his integrity in a series of desperate transactions; the insecure clergyman addicted to being liked, who never challenged his people from the pulpit and longed for unconditional love; the sexually abused teen molested by his father and now selling his body on the street, who, as he falls asleep each night after his last 'trick', whispers the name of the unknown God he learned about in Sunday school.

'But how?' we ask.

Then the voice says, 'They have washed their robes and have made them white in the blood of the Lamb.'

There they are. There *we* are - the multitude who so wanted to be faithful, who at times got defeated, soiled by life, and bested by trials, wearing the bloodied garments of life's tribulations, but through it all clung to faith.

My friends, if this is not good news to you, you have never understood the gospel of grace.” - Brennan Manning-

FineLinen

"There comes a time in every life when hope seems hopeless! Under the surface of every life are great trials and distress that push us out of our limits into His limitless." -David E. Johnson-

hope-of-peace-hands-on-the-sunlight-background-stock-images_csp8054485.jpg

FineLinen

"What happened on that day (of Easter) became, was and remained the centre around which everything else moves. For everything lasts its time, but the love of God - which was at work and was expressed in the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead - lasts forever. Because this event took place, there is no reason to despair, and even when we read the newspaper with all its confusing and frightening news, there is every reason to hope." -Karl Barth-

"Faith is not an art. Faith is not an achievement. Faith is not a good work of which some may boast while others can excuse themselves with a shrug of the shoulders for not being capable of it. It is a decisive insight of faith itself that all of us are incapable of faith in ourselves, whether we think of its preparation, beginning, continuation, or completion." -Karl Barth-

Last edited:

FineLinen

"Christian hope does not promise successful days to the rich and the strong, but resurrection and life to those who must exist in the shadows of death. Success is no name of God. Righteousness is." -Jürgen Moltmann-

"That is why faith, wherever it develops into hope, causes not rest but unrest, not patience but impatience. It does not calm the unquiet heart, but is itself this unquiet heart in man. Those who hope in Christ can no longer put up with reality as it is, but begin to suffer under it, to contradict it. Peace with God means conflict with the world, for the goad of the promised future stabs inexorably into the flesh of every unfulfilled present." -Jürgen Moltmann-

iu

FineLinen

"There is room for hope in his death. The chief priests who instigated Judas were worse men than himself, and if mercy was extended to those, the wretched penitent traitor did not die out of the reach of the yearning of its bowels. And I contend, further, that there is no positive evidence of the final damnation of Judas in the sacred text. I would not set up, knowingly, any plea against the claims of justice; and God forbid that a sinner should be found capable of pleading against the cries of mercy on behalf of a fellow culprit. Reader, learn from thy Lord this lesson: ' Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy'." -Dr. Adam Clarke-

“Have you heard of the most evil things done by people in their lifetime? They have coveted men's wives, killed hundreds of Christians and sold their best friend's life away for just a few coins. Isn't it interesting that they were God's chosen in the Bible? ---Saul, Judas & King David” - Shannon L. Alder-

FineLinen

"Being born anew is not a one time experience. The word 'being' is in the present continuous tense. Every time an awakening from His Presence transpires, it requires a new faith to step into it. The old parameters are eclipsed with new of unparelled dimensions." David E. Johnson-