Quotations of the day

FineLinen

"What I believe is so magnificent, so glorious, that it is beyond finite comprehension. To believe that the universe was created by a purposeful, benign Creator is one thing. To believe that this Creator took on human vesture, accepted death and mortality, was tempted, betrayed, broken, and all for love of us, defies reason. It is so wild that it terrifies some Christians who try to dogmatize their fear by lashing out at other Christians, because tidy Christianity with all answers given is easier than one which reaches out to the wild wonder of God's love, a love we don't even have to earn." -Madeleine L'Engle-

FineLinen

Martin-Luther-Quote-Salvation-outside-Ourselves-300x300.jpg

FineLinen

"If the Divine spark in the soul cannot be destroyed, then we need despair of no sinner... Since God created men to have fellowship with Himself, they cannot for ever be separated from Him... After long wandering, and by devious paths, sinful man will at last return to Him in whose Image he was created; for this is his final destiny." -Sadhu Sundar Singh-

FineLinen

Quotes by Clarence Jordon=

"The measure of a Christian is not in the height of his grasp but in the depth of his love”

“Faith is not belief in spite of evidence but a life in scorn of the consequences.”

“God is not a celestial prison warden jangling the keys on a bunch of lifers--he's a shepherd seeking for sheep, a woman searching for coins, a father waiting for his son.”

“Even though people about us choose the path of hate and violence and warfare and greed and prejudice, we who are Christ's body must throw off these poisons and let love permeate and cleanse every tissue and cell. Nor are we to allow ourselves to become easily discouraged when love is not always obviously successful or pleasant. Love never quits, even when an enemy has hit you on the right cheek and you have turned the other, and he's also hit that.”

“Fear is the polio of the soul which prevents our walking by faith.”

FineLinen

"Only in love can I find you, my God. In love the gates of my soul spring open, allowing me to breathe a new air of freedom and forget my own petty self. In love my whole being streams forth out of the rigid confines of narrowness and anxious self-assertion, which make me a prisoner of my own poverty emptiness. In love all the powers of my soul flow out toward you, wanting never more to return, but to lose themselves completely in you, since by your love you are the inmost center of my heart, closer to me than I am to myself." -Karl Rahner-

"The chief thing that separates us from God is the thought that we are separated from God. If we get rid of that thought, our troubles will be greatly reduced. We fail to believe that we are always with God and that God is part of every reality. The present moment, every object we see, our inmost nature, is rooted in God. But we hesitate to believe this until personal experience gives us the confidence to believe it. This involves the gradual development of intimacy with God. God speaks to us through each other as well as from within. The interior experience of God's presence activates our capacity to perceive God in everything else--in people, in events, in nature." ~ Thomas Keating

Last edited:

FineLinen

"I will have nothing to do with a God who cares only occasionally. I need a God who is with us always, everywhere, in the deepest depths as well as the highest heights. It is when things go wrong, when good things do not happen, when our prayers seem to have been lost, that God is most present. We do not need the sheltering wings when things go smoothly. We are closest to God in the darkness, stumbling along blindly." -Madeleine L'Engle-

FineLinen

quote-open-your-eyes-and-the-whole-world-is-full-of-god-jakob-bohme-83-61-33.jpg

"Everything we see in nature is manifested truth; only we are not able to recognize it unless truth is manifest within ourselves." -Jakob Bohme-

FineLinen

“People think of faith as being something that you don't really believe, a device in helping you believe simply it. Of course that is quite wrong. As Pascal says, faith is a gift of God. It is different from the proof of it. It is the kind of faith God himself places in the heart, of which the proof is often the instrument...He says of it, too, that it is the heart which is aware of God, and not -reason. That is what faith is: God perceived by the heart, not be reason.” - Malcolm Muggeridge-

FineLinen

"Everything we see in nature is manifested truth; only we are not able to recognize it unless truth is manifest within ourselves." -Jakob Bohme-

FineLinen

"The initial experience of justification by faith is not the process of being made the righteousness of God in Him." -D.E.L. Johnson-

Nanja

The story of the penitent thief has sometimes been considered the most surprising, the most suggestive, the most instructive incident in all the Gospel narrative. ... In the salvation of one of the thieves, theology finds one of its finest demonstrations. Sacrementalism was refuted, for the thief was saved without recourse to baptism, the Lord's Supper, church, ceremony, or good works. The dogma of purgatory was refuted, for this vile sinner was instantly transformed into a saint and made fit for paradise apart from his personal expiation of a single sin. The teaching of universalism was refuted, for only one was saved of all who might have been saved. Jesus did not say, "Today shall ye be with me in paradise," but "Today shalt thou be with me in paradise." The notion of soul-sleep was refuted, for the clear implication of the entire incident is that the redeemed thief would be in conscious fellowship with his Saviour in paradise even while his body disintegrated in some grave. Too, it is doubtful whether any other gospel incident presents the plan of salvation more clearly or simply.

Dr. Charles R. Erdman

FineLinen

“Every happening, great and small, is a parable whereby God speaks to us, and the art of life is to get the message.” - Malcolm Muggeridge-

“People do not believe lies because they have to, but because they want to." - Malcolm Muggeridge-

“All new news is old news happening to new people” - Malcolm Muggeridge-

FineLinen

"Thunder in the desert!
Prepare God’s arrival!
Make the road smooth and straight!
Every ditch will be filled in,
Every bump smoothed out,
The detours straightened out,
All the ruts paved over.
Everyone will be there to see
The parade of God’s salvation.” -Eugene H. Peterson-

FineLinen

adce5d266d09b6730172a8d0ad4b84ba.jpg

“The deeper we grow in the Spirit of Jesus Christ, the poorer we become - the more we realize that everything in life is a gift. The tenor of our lives becomes one of humble and joyful thanksgiving. Awareness of our poverty and ineptitude causes us to rejoice in the gift of being called out of darkness into wondrous light and translated into the kingdom of God's beloved Son.” -Brennan Manning-