Quotations of the day

FineLinen

"Our task as image-bearing, God-loving, Christ-shaped, Spirit-filled Christians, following Christ and shaping our world, is to announce redemption to a world that has discovered its fallenness, to announce healing to a world that has discovered its brokenness, to proclaim love and trust to a world that knows only exploitation, fear and suspicion" -N.T. Wright-

FineLinen

“Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time.” -Oswald Chambers-

FineLinen

“The time for universal praise is sure to come some day. Let us begin to do our part now.” -Hannah W. Smith-

FineLinen

"When we begin to glimpse the reality of God, the natural reaction is to worship him. Not to have that reaction is a fairly sure sign that we haven't yet really understood who he is or what he's done." -N. T. Wright

TrumpTrainCA

BANNED
Banned
"Christianity is not a religion. Christianity is the proclamation of the end of religion, not of a new religion, or even of the best of all religions. If the cross is the sign of anything, it's the sign that God has gone out of the religion business and solved all of the world's problems without requiring a single human being to do a single religious thing. What the cross is actually a sign of is the fact that religion can't do a thing about the world's problems - that it never did work and it never will." -Robert Farrar Capon-

Unfortunately, Mr. Capon does not seem to have a clue about what he speaks of.

TrumpTrainCA

BANNED
Banned
quote-who-gives-you-the-day-will-give-you-also-the-things-necessary-for-the-day-gregory-of-nyssa-81-21-99.jpg

FineLinen

I found this quote attributed to him: "I am and I am not a universalist."

If he really did say that, that's all I need to know about him.

“I am and I am not a universalist.

“I am one if you are talking about what God in Christ has done to save the world. The Lamb of God has not taken away the sins of some — of only the good, or the cooperative, or the select few who can manage to get their act together and die as perfect peaches. He has taken away the sins of the world — of every last being in it — and he has dropped them down the black hole of Jesus’ death. On the cross, he has shut up forever on the subject of guilt: ‘There is therefore now no condemnation. . . .’ All human beings, at all times and places, are home free whether they know it or not, feel it or not, believe it or not.

“But I am not a universalist if you are talking about what people may do about accepting that happy-go-lucky gift of God’s grace. I take with utter seriousness everything that Jesus had to say about hell, including the eternal torment that such a foolish non-acceptance of his already-given acceptance must entail. All theologians who hold Scripture to be the Word of God must inevitably include in their work a tractate on hell. But I will not — because Jesus did not — locate hell outside the realm of grace. Grace is forever sovereign, even in Jesus’ parables of judgment. No one is ever kicked out at the end of those parables who wasn’t included in at the beginning.”

– Robert Farrar Capon, Between Noon and Three: Romance, Law, and the Outrage of Grace

FineLinen

“Let the improvement of yourself keep you so busy that you have no time to criticize others.”-- Roy T. Bennett

FineLinen

"In the Christian story God descends to reascend. He comes down;.... down to the very roots and sea-bed of the Nature He has created. But He goes down to come up again and bring the whole ruined world up with Him." -C.S. Lewis-

FineLinen

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world." -Arthur Schopenhauer-

"Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude." -Arthur Schopenhauer-

FineLinen

"The kingdom of heaven is not come even when God's will is our law; it is fully come when God's will is our will." -George MacDonald-

"The world...is full of resurrections... Every night that folds us up in darkness is a death; and those of you that have been out early, and have seen the first of the dawn, will know it - the day rises out of the night like a being that has burst its tomb and escaped into life."

FineLinen

...Nothing can be lost that is not first owned. Just as a parent is compelled by civil law to be responsible for his family and his property, so the Creator --by His own divine law--in compelled to take care of the children He has created. And that means not only caring for the good children, but for the bad ones and lost ones as well. So the word lost came to be for Mrs. Smith (Hannah W. Smith), a term of greatest comfort. If a person is a "lost sinner" it only means that he is temporarily separated from the Good Shepherd who owns him. The Shepherd is bound by all duties of ownership to go after all those who are lost until they are found. -Catherine Marshall-

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
"Miracles not contrary to nature. They are only contrary to our understanding of nature."

"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men like unto angels."

St. Augustine

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men."
St. Francis of Assisi