Sports Talk 2018: Lebron to Brady and Everything in Between

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think both KD and the team needed the object lesson if you're going to have a chance to keep him.

The problem now, is that KD's value has gone up tremendously since it has been shown that the Warriors cannot beat Toronto without him. When Golden State beat Houston and Portland without KD, signing him didn't seem like a must for Golden State. Now it's a must.

KD was going to get big $ before the injury. Now he's going to get even bigger $$.

Golden State also has to give Klay Thompson a deal, because he too will be a free agent at the end of this year.

I don't see how Golden State can pay Klay & KD the free agent money they could get elsewhere. Especially while paying Curry $35 million a year.

The Berean

What I'm saying is that if he isn't ready he shouldn't risk injury. It is and has been Curry's team. And the attitude of the rest of the team seemed to boil down to, "We can win it without him, in fact we're happy about how we're playing," etc. before this series. I thought it signaled the reasons KD would likely be in NY after the season.

Now I think they realize something important and in a way they didn't before. Without KD they're a great team that can be beaten. With KD they're nearly unbeatable in a series. I think both KD and the team needed the object lesson if you're going to have a chance to keep him. I don't think GS will win the series without KD in form and playing real minutes, none of which seem likely at this point.
Legends are formed through adversity. I'm sure Willis Reed risked further injury when he returned for game 7 against the Lakers. But he knew the Knicks needed him and his return inspired his team to victory. If KD wants to leave the Warriors because he wants to be "Da Man" on his own team, doesn't that imply they he needs to lead his team, even through pain, and at least try to play? For all this talk about today' players being superior where is the toughness and leadership to have a Willie Reed moment, or Michael Jordan playing with the flu, or Hakeem the Dream playing through Ramadan (no food or water), or Isiah Thomas scoring 25 points in one quarter with an injured ankle to beat the Lakers?

Last edited:

The Berean

The problem now, is that KD's value has gone up tremendously since it has been shown that the Warriors cannot beat Toronto without him. When Golden State beat Houston and Portland without KD, signing him didn't seem like a must for Golden State. Now it's a must.

KD was going to get big $ before the injury. Now he's going to get even bigger $$.

Golden State also has to give Klay Thompson a deal, because he too will be a free agent at the end of this year.

I don't see how Golden State can pay Klay & KD the free agent money they could get elsewhere. Especially while paying Curry $35 million a year.

The Warriors can offer more money to Klay and KD than any other team. Whether team ownership wants to actually try to do that is another matter. But if KD wants to maximize his next contract that will only come from the Warriors.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

It's going to be problematic, but this is the best window they've had for KD being seen among the Warrior's faithful (and, I think, a few teammates) as having the value he always possessed. And that impact could be what he needed all along.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Legends are formed through adversity.
Marino's weren't. Montana's? What's Brady's adversity? We admire it to be sure. It's a meaningful trophy to have on the shelf, but we can and do crown giants who don't appear to face much more than opponents on the court. Russell, Chamberlain, Magic (it wasn't aids or playing after it that elevated him). Bird, maybe, though his back came after Larry Legend had his reputation. I can understand wanting KD to play. I can understand KD wanting to play, but if there's any chance of something serious coming from it, he shouldn't.

I'm sure Willis Reed risked further injury when he returned for game 7 against the Lakers.
Very different era, estimation, and situation for fan and player. KD has been undervalued by fans and teammates alike, and understandably so given he came to the team he couldn't beat. And this one seemed almost happy to be playing free of having to make concessions for his play when he went down, before the real challenge for them, the real adversity hit them squarely. They aren't so happy now.

But he knew the Knicks needed him and his return inspired his team to victory. If KD wants to leave the Warriors because he wants to be "Da Man" on his own team, doesn't that imply they he needs to lead his team, even through pain, and at least try to play.
I think his role as the determiner is pretty hard to miss. I suspect a lot of people who said, "Yeah, he makes us impossible, but we're great without him," are rethinking that and his value in a league where there are serious up and comers and some important free agents waiting for the chance to exploit any weakness and shift a balance of power.

For all this talk about today' players being superior where is the toughness and leadership to have a Willie Reed moment, or Michael Jordan playing with the flu, or Hakeem the Dream playing through Ramadan (no food or water), or Isiah Thomas scoring 25 points in one quarter with an injured ankle to beat the Lakers?
It's one path, but guarding your health, letting the faithful really understand how it is without you, then coming back and blasting a team in four or five next year would do what I think KD needs to have done for him to feel and for the GS fans to cement a different understanding in place. After that, his ridiculous basketball gifts will provide all the legacy he needs.

Now if he comes back and can't play well enough to help them win it all, he's admired for the effort, but it doesn't add to the value everyone he needs to see it have seen. It might even diminish the appreciation of what's been established in a tough series by his absence. And if he's injured it could diminish him in more ways than reputation.

I hope he's healed enough to play. I hope he can rally them to a game seven. But how likely is that? Three in a row with a weakened roster, weakened himself? I can't fault him and don't believe it would hurt him to stand down.

The Berean

Only KD know how his leg feels. It's his decision to play or not as it should be. Even if he isn't 100% just by being in the game will force the Raptors to change their defensive scheme. Right now they are literally swarming Steph. The Raptors can't do that if KD is in the game unless they plan to just give KD open 3-pointers and layups. No, the Raptos have to respect KD and put some defenders on him. That will open up Steph to do his thing.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Only KD know how his leg feels. It's his decision to play or not as it should be. Even if he isn't 100% just by being in the game will force the Raptors to change their defensive scheme. Right now they are literally swarming Steph. The Raptors can't do that if KD is in the game unless they plan to just give KD open 3-pointers and layups. No, the Raptos have to respect KD and put some defenders on him. That will open up Steph to do his thing.

Looks like KD is going to play tonight.

Even if he's 70%, he will be better than most of the guys on the court.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The following players from the Raptors and Warriors will be free agents very soon:

Kevin Durant
Kawhi Leonard
Klay Thompson
DeMarcus Cousins
Marc Gasol

Those 5 would make a good team. In fact, if all 5 were on the same team, I would consider that team the favorite for next year.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What's Brady's adversity?

He was a very average college QB who was drafted with the 199th pick, in the sixth round, of the NFL draft. No one really expected much from him.

Scout Joel Buchsbaum’s report on Tom Brady prior to the 2000 draft:

“Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the ‘99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can’t drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral.”

The Berean

He was a very average college QB who was drafted with the 199th pick, in the sixth round, of the NFL draft. No one really expected much from him.

Scout Joel Buchsbaum’s report on Tom Brady prior to the 2000 draft:

“Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the ‘99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can’t drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral.”
Brady wasn't average in performance at Michigan. It's was the scouts' erroneous views that Brady lacked the physical tools to play in the NFL. And this is why teams are still foolish for putting way too much emphasis on pure athleticism and "measurables". It's not like Brady played for a division III school in North Dakota. He played for Michigan. He played against the biggest schools with the strongest football programs. And he excelled. And that counted for nothing I guess.

This is great documentary.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Brady wasn't average in performance at Michigan.

That's debatable. If he was good at Michigan, he wouldn't have gone in the 6th round. He would have went much earlier.

Remember Kevin Durant at the NBA combine?

KD couldn't bench press 185 pounds even one time. He had the 3rd worst vertical leap, fourth worst sprint time, worst lane drill, and came in dead last at the combine in drills.

The Berean

That's debatable. If he was good at Michigan, he wouldn't have gone in the 6th round. He would have went much earlier.
He played great in the big games. He threw 4 TDs in the Orange Bowl against Alabama. Brady was 20-5 as a starter. He had several other high profile come back wins. The reason he was drafted late is because NFL scouts are so incredibly biased and hold onto archaic stereotypes of what an NFL QB should look like. This guy reviews Brady's college games and gave this scouting report in 2017.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/nfl-patriots-tom-brady-draft-college-michigan-scouting-report

Here’s one of the pre-draft scouting report on Brady following his combine performance…

Poor build
Skinny
Lacks great physical stature and strength
Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush
Lacks a really strong arm
Can’t drive the ball downfield
Does not throw a really tight spiral
System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib
Gets knocked down easily

Half the comments on there have nothing to do with the quarterback position. The other half can easily be refuted with the clips I showed above.

Gets knocked down easily? Who cares? Lacks a really strong arm? That’s a weird way of saying he has an OK arm. It’s not that scouts couldn’t have seen Brady coming; they just didn’t want to see it because of their own preconceived notions of what a quarterback should look like.

Remember Kevin Durant at the NBA combine?

KD couldn't bench press 185 pounds even one time. He had the 3rd worst vertical leap, fourth worst sprint time, worst lane drill, and came in dead last at the combine in drills.
Yet, KD was the #2 overall pick in the 2007 draft. NBA scouts were smart to know that bench pressing and vertical leap are not important traits for a guy who is 6'11" and has elite basketball skills.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Brady wasn't average in performance at Michigan. It's was the scouts' erroneous views that Brady lacked the physical tools to play in the NFL.
He just looked a bit average on that count. So did Peyton. Even though he was more highly prized I recall the ESPN talking heads saying he was the most pro ready, but with limited upside.

Turns out one of the things noted, "system style quarterback," was spot on. They simply couldn't have foreseen that he'd end up in the perfect system for him. A marriage made in New England. :)

The Berean

He just looked a bit average on that count. So did Peyton. Even though he was more highly prized I recall the ESPN talking heads saying he was the most pro ready, but with limited upside.

Turns out one of the things noted, "system style quarterback," was spot on. They simply couldn't have foreseen that he'd end up in the perfect system for him. A marriage made in New England. :)

If Brady is a system QB then so was Joe Montana. LoL.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If Brady is a system QB then so was Joe Montana. LoL.
Well, Bill took Brady's team to 11 wins when Tom went down for a year, and made every backup who got serious playing time look like the next big thing, much to the eventual embarrassment of the teams who bought into the impression. I think Bill has a system and a genius for coaching and adjusting that does for his team what great athletes can do in terms of raising their level of play and efficiency.

As for Joe, well, Joe beat his old team with future Hall of Fame qb Steve Young while playing for the Chiefs. Even in his broken down state he was amazing. Afterward, Young said he guessed he still had a lesson to learn from "the master." And he played and won differently with different supporting casts while he was with the Niners.

Tom and Joe are a lot alike actually, only Joe played much better on the biggest stage. Better than anyone ever had before or has since, in sum.

Great game by your Warriors tonight, but I was sorry KD tried to do what his body clearly wasn't prepared for. It helped them win tonight and prolong the series, but it will take extraordinary will and even better play by the support if they're going to take it to seven.

The Berean

Well, Bill took Brady's team to 11 wins when Tom went down for a year, and made every backup who got serious playing time look like the next big thing, much to the eventual embarrassment of the teams who bought into the impression. I think Bill has a system and a genius for coaching and adjusting that does for his team what great athletes can do in terms of raising their level of play and efficiency.
All this applies to Joe Montana. Joe Montana was a system QB. He played in what is probably the most famous system in NFL history, The West Coast Offense. Steve DeBerg played in the West Coast Offense in 1979. This was Bill Walsh's first year as 49ers head coach and DeBerg's second year in the NFL. DeBerg led the NFL in pass completions and pass attempts. Steve Young was a terrible QB in Tampa. He comes to the 49ers and the West Coast Offense turns Young into a Hall of Famer. Elvis Grbac put up way better numbers as a 49er than he did playing anywhere else.

But my larger point is what is wrong with being a system QB? You seem to use it as a pejorative. In a sense every NFL QB is a system QB. Weren't Dan Fouts and Dan Marino also system QB's? Both put up incredible passing numbers in their era. Marino's record 5,084 passing yards in 1984 stood as the NFL record for 27 years until the NFL gutted their rules to make passing far easier.

As for Joe, well, Joe beat his old team with future Hall of Fame QB Steve Young while playing for the Chiefs. Even in his broken down state he was amazing. Afterward, Young said he guessed he still had a lesson to learn from "the master." And he played and won differently with different supporting casts while he was with the Niners.
This doesn't prove that Joe wasn't a system QB. The Chiefs implemented a variant of the West Coast Offense.

Tom and Joe are a lot alike actually, only Joe played much better on the biggest stage. Better than anyone ever had before or has since, in sum.
Joe often played great in the postseason but not always. Joe was terrible in 1987 losing to the Wild Card Vikings at home. Joe was so bad that he was benched at half time. Then there's the 49-3 thrashing Joe and 49ers took from the Giants in 1986. But in Super Bowl play Joe was the best. No doubt about that.

Great game by your Warriors tonight, but I was sorry KD tried to do what his body clearly wasn't prepared for. It helped them win tonight and prolong the series, but it will take extraordinary will and even better play by the support if they're going to take it to seven.

Terrible, terrible injury for KD. :-( We'll have to see how bad the injury is.

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Back to the NBA

Looks like Town Heretic was correct. No way should KD have played and risked worsening his injury. This injury may keep KD out a year. Had he not played, he would have got big $ in free agency. Now, not so likely.

Toronto had the ball in Leonard's hands, with the chance to win the championship, and he passed the ball........Jordan never would have done that.

IMO, Golden State will win it. They will be the only team to blow a 3-1 lead, and only team to come back from a 3-1 deficit in the finals......kinda like Virginia losing as a #1 seed in the first round, then winning it the next year.

The Berean

Back to the NBA

Looks like Town Heretic was correct. No way should KD have played and risked worsening his injury. This injury may keep KD out a year. Had he not played, he would have got big $ in free agency. Now, not so likely.

Toronto had the ball in Leonard's hands, with the chance to win the championship, and he passed the ball........Jordan never would have done that.

Ummm...

The Berean

Back to the NBA

Word is now KD might exercise his player option for next season at $31 million. In essence the Warriors would be paying KD to rehab all next season. LOL.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
All this applies to Joe Montana. Joe Montana was a system QB. He played in what is probably the most famous system in NFL history, The West Coast Offense.
Unlike Tom, he won with a second team, performing well enough to beat a loaded Niners team he'd left even after he was, by any objective examination, about physically done. And while the Chiefs played a similar style of offense, the "West Coast" offense was more approach than it was defined by particular plays. And all of football is either run, pass short, or deep and what emphasis you place on what particular.

Steve DeBerg played in the West Coast Offense in 1979. This was Bill Walsh's first year as 49ers head coach and DeBerg's second year in the NFL. DeBerg led the NFL in pass completions and pass attempts.
DeBerg never had a qb rating higher than 73 with the Niners and threw more ints than tds with them, which is part of the reason he wasn't there very long. He had some talent and one really good year, late in his career.

Nothing like the success that Brady's backups have had in Bill's system.

Steve Young was a terrible QB in Tampa.
He looked like many rookie qbs in his first truncated year. In sum, his first two years saw him playing just a couple of more games than one full regular season. And Manning was awful in his first 16 starts. Favre was bad enough early that Atlanta moved him without any real regret.

It happens early for some. It takes maturation, games under center. Or it did before enough rules were changed that playing the position became much easier, as it did for Peyton, Tom, and that generation of qb, which is why Marino's long wait as the singular member of the 5k club suddenly found him in a modern crowd.

He comes to the 49ers and the West Coast Offense turns Young into a Hall of Famer.
It was more about being given real time under center and particular tailoring to his strengths when Montana was down for long stretches over two years. He had uncommon skills. in 88 he subbed for double digit games and showed something, though his overall performance was of a really good backup with flashes, mostly regarding his legs and the impact of that mobility. The next year he was still under center for 11 games, with the offense tinkered to maximize his impact and, unsurprisingly, he realized a lot of his potential.

Elvis Grbac put up way better numbers as a 49er than he did playing anywhere else.
A little misleading. He started a grand total of 9 games in 3 years for SF. Hard to say what a guy has with that limited a sampling. In 95 he started 4 games and threw 8 tds against 5 picks. The next year he started 5 and regressed, with 8 tds against 10 picks. Over time and with more games he did better, but even in the similar Chiefs offense he never really took off, spent most of his career looking like the decent backup that he was.

But my larger point is what is wrong with being a system QB?
Nothing at all, but it contextualizes the level of play and accomplishments, just as understanding rules changes will.

You seem to use it as a pejorative. In a sense every NFL QB is a system QB.
I think teams and systems impact how we see qbs, unless they have the opportunity to shine in multiple locals, which rarely happens, or they do as well with different team mates. Montana managed both. Warner did it. Peyton too, though both Kurt and Manning played in easier eras than Joe.

Weren't Dan Fouts and Dan Marino also system QB's?
If by system, with Dan, you mean the gave him the ball and said find a way. Fouts would be more of a fit for that, though he was largely overrated, gaining most of his reputation in three great years.

Both put up incredible passing numbers in their era. Marino's record 5,084 passing yards in 1984 stood as the NFL record for 27 years until the NFL gutted their rules to make passing far easier.
Yep. He and Joe played when the sort of performances they managed were much harder to come by. It's one reason why I rate them higher and an tougher on the qbs that followed.

This doesn't prove that Joe wasn't a system QB. The Chiefs implemented a variant of the West Coast Offense.
Well, football isn't dramatically different in any system, unless you're the Bears. :D With Tom I look at him riding the team to the first ring, a-la Big Ben. He won and got to the first three by fgs. I think he was overrated early, though he grew into one of the best I've ever seen by the time he was in his prime. Amazing to watch.

I think the real advantage Tom had that Marino almost never did, top ten defenses and a coach that would hamper the other team, adjust as well as anyone I've seen on the fly, and give his qb the chance to win with solid play. Because almost without exception, that's when Brady and company won their rings and how.

Joe often played great in the postseason but not always. Joe was terrible in 1987 losing to the Wild Card Vikings at home. Joe was so bad that he was benched at half time. Then there's the 49-3 thrashing Joe and 49ers took from the Giants in 1986. But in Super Bowl play Joe was the best. No doubt about that.
Yeah. Every qb has a few of those. Peyton and Brady, despite the rules change, had a few stinkers. But on the biggest stage, and I know we're agreeing, it's Joe. To me, that's why he's the GOAT. Though I'll say this about Tom, I've never seen anyone do it that well for that long. He's the Jabbar of the NFL.

Terrible, terrible injury for KD. :-( We'll have to see how bad the injury is.
It was my concern, but for what it's worth I think it may have made the team a different animal. I can't see your guys winning out, but I'm rooting for them.