Sports Talk 2018: Lebron to Brady and Everything in Between

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Warriors win again to take a 3-0 lead against the Trailblazers. the Warriors played incredible team ball.
The only problem you're going to have is in the finals, if KD can't make it back meaningfully. You can win it all without him, but it's far from the lock you have with him...meanwhile, my Celtics...no, it's too painful at present. We'll talk about whether or not subtraction might be addition there at another time.

I also noted the chants of MVP for Curry at the foul line that might not have been the best thing for Durant to hear as he considers whether to continue with GS. Without KD they're the best team in the NBA, with a few teams chasing. With KD they're invincible.

The Berean

And just like that the warriors swept the Trailblazers 4-0. Both Steph and Draymond had triple doubles, the first time in playoff history that teammates had a triple double. Now the Warriors have nine days of rest before the NBA Finals. Game 1 will either be in Milwaukee or Toronto.

The Berean

They're officially the Becket of the Western Conference...with Houston and others wondering, "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome pest?"

A near Dream Team status with Durant, they're still the best team running without him. Maybe they're the Patriots of the NBA.
Interesting that you mentioned the Patriots. The Warriors have their own Tom Brady of sorts in Draymond Green. Like Tom Brady, Draymond was lightly regarded coming out of college even though he was a great college player, just like Brady was great at Michigan. Both were lightly regarded coming out of college because they were viewed as having limited athleticism and very low upside. This just shows that pro sports teams place way too much emphasis on pure athleticism and "measurables" and not enough on personality, desire, and drive.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Interesting that you mentioned the Patriots. The Warriors have their own Tom Brady of sorts in Draymond Green. Like Tom Brady, Draymond was lightly regarded coming out of college even though he was a great college player, just like Brady was great at Michigan.
Both were lightly regarded coming out of college because they were viewed as having limited athleticism and very low upside. This just shows that pro sports teams place way too much emphasis on pure athleticism and "measurables" and not enough on personality, desire, and drive.
And how often have we seen guys with amazing measurables turn out to be nothing more than workout warriors?

I keep hearing people saying the pack is gaining on GS and that the window is closing...but while I do expect KD to go elsewhere, where will that be enough without him repeating the thing that likely will move him out of your locker room? I like him to try New York, where he can be the man and maybe add a piece or two to take a hard run at the East or more.

I think your guys could be New England like favorites for a few more years. They've proven they can win without KD, and without his cap hit they could pick up a lesser light in an interesting free agent year, maybe a bit more help on the bench and keep that core. Why wouldn't someone who isn't a superstar but is an impact player not want to enter the GS orbit?

As a long suffering Celtics fan I can't (sadly) think of a good reason.

Oh, I think the Bucks are going to give you some trouble, but I'm not on Barkley's "Can't beat them without KD" side of things.

The Berean

And how often have we seen guys with amazing measurables turn out to be nothing more than workout warriors?

I keep hearing people saying the pack is gaining on GS and that the window is closing...but while I do expect KD to go elsewhere, where will that be enough without him repeating the thing that likely will move him out of your locker room? I like him to try New York, where he can be the man and maybe add a piece or two to take a hard run at the East or more.

I think your guys could be New England like favorites for a few more years. They've proven they can win without KD, and without his cap hit they could pick up a lesser light in an interesting free agent year, maybe a bit more help on the bench and keep that core. Why wouldn't someone who isn't a superstar but is an impact player not want to enter the GS orbit?

As a long suffering Celtics fan I can't (sadly) think of a good reason.

Oh, I think the Bucks are going to give you some trouble, but I'm not on Barkley's "Can't beat them without KD" side of things.

If KD leaves the Warriors that opens up cap space to sign other players. There are quite a few elite free agents this offseason.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If KD leaves the Warriors that opens up cap space to sign other players. There are quite a few elite free agents this offseason.
Sure. It will take a KD to Houston AND lesser moves to Houston to make me reconsider. I don't see the Lakers being able to attract. I think the East is still too thin at the top and that it's unlikely. Your guys aren't old yet, can make improvements, and are better than anyone else even without KD. So where KD lands and where a certain Raptor lands will be the difference maker in terms of IF there is a legitimate challenger to GS OR it's just another year of waiting to see how much better they are than everyone else.

Gary K

Banned
The Warriors win again to take a 3-0 lead against the Trailblazers. the Warriors played incredible team ball.

That series loss by the Trail Blazers was on them, not because of the Warriors. The Blazers played only one complete game and that was game 4. That went to overtime and they had their chance to win that one which shows they were, when they played both halves of games, very competitive with the Warriors. The rest of the series was just a giveaway. Game 1 the Blazers didn't come close to playing even one complete quarter. Games 2 and 3 they gave away the second halves of both games. They stopped doing what got them the leads in the first halves of both games. I don't know why they went mental in the conference finals but they did.

The Blazers had done that all year, in stretches of games. Then they would turn it around and play together and play well again. In other words it was their bugaboo all season long. It just happened to pop up again in the series with the Warriors. The Blazers had played well for a month or so, and then just lapsed into playing lousy ball during the conference finals.

The Berean

That series loss by the Trail Blazers was on them, not because of the Warriors. The Blazers played only one complete game and that was game 4. That went to overtime and they had their chance to win that one which shows they were, when they played both halves of games, very competitive with the Warriors. The rest of the series was just a giveaway. Game 1 the Blazers didn't come close to playing even one complete quarter. Games 2 and 3 they gave away the second halves of both games. They stopped doing what got them the leads in the first halves of both games. I don't know why they went mental in the conference finals but they did.

The Blazers had done that all year, in stretches of games. Then they would turn it around and play together and play well again. In other words it was their bugaboo all season long. It just happened to pop up again in the series with the Warriors. The Blazers had played well for a month or so, and then just lapsed into playing lousy ball during the conference finals.

The same can be said about the Warriors not playing complete games either. The fact is that the Warriors SWEPT the series against the Trailblazers. The Blazers won zero games. The Warriors are simply the superior team and they proved it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So...will it be a broom, or will Toronto get one early with KD out and their guys in rhythm?

I can't see it going six.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So...will it be a broom, or will Toronto get one early with KD out and their guys in rhythm?

This will be the first year Golden State doesn't have home court advantage. They had the advantage the last four years.

Toronto beat Golden State both times they played each other this year.

The Berean

This will be the first year Golden State doesn't have home court advantage. They had the advantage the last four years.
Since 2015 the Warriors are 30-15 W-L on the road in the playoffs, The Warriors have played one series where they didn't have the home court advantage, the 2018 Western Conference Finals vs the Rockets. They won that series.

I don't think those games have much bearing on the Finals. Those games were in late November and early December of 2018. The first game was in Toronto and the Warriors lost in overtime as they played without Steph Curry. The second game the Warriors were just flat the entire game other than KD. Steph only made 3/12 shots. The Warriors were coming off four straight wins by an average of 17 points. The Warriors lost by 20 to Toronto.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Regular season just doesn't mean much to GS...and Kawhi looked drained and/or hurt at the last of the Bucks series.

Can you really see them beating GS four out of seven? I'm leaning 5 tops. If it goes 6 KD is likely back and that's all, folks. But I don't really believe they'll need him for this one.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Regular season just doesn't mean much to GS...and Kawhi looked drained and/or hurt at the last of the Bucks series.

Leonard is on fire right now.

27 year olds don't get drained.

Can you really see them beating GS four out of seven?

I didn't see them beating Milwaukee 4 straight after being down 0-2.....so, who knows.

I'm leaning 5 tops.

As a neutral fan, I'm hoping for 7 games.

If it goes 6 KD is likely back and that's all, folks. But I don't really believe they'll need him for this one.

They won 73 games in a season without KD, they can easily win 4 games without him, not to mention they are 6-0 since he got injured.

Klay Thompson was snubbed from the All-NBA team, if he uses that as motivation, and Curry is Curry, they won't need KD to win.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Leonard is on fire right now.

27 year olds don't get drained.
He's not beating anyone though. Kawhi has to be Kawhi, because this coaching staff won't be fooled like the Bucks were late.

I didn't see them beating Milwaukee 4 straight after being down 0-2.....so, who knows.
I thought the Bucks would win in 7, but Toronto had a better game plan and exposed the weakness of the Bucks big man.

As a neutral fan, I'm hoping for 7 games.
I'm a Celtic fan, but this feels like New England all over again. Inevitable.

They won 73 games in a season without KD
And had nearly a double digit margin of victory to boot. But that was a few years ago. They didn't break 60 this year. Or last year. It's tighter now.

they can easily win 4 games without him, not to mention they are 6-0 since he got injured.

Klay Thompson was snubbed from the All-NBA team, if he uses that as motivation, and Curry is Curry, they won't need KD to win.
If Toronto can pick up two games against Steph and company they'll need KD. No one has enough defense to cover GS when he's playing. Not in a series. You have to give KD one on one and that won't work. Or you double and the shooters kill you from outside. GS without KD is the best team in the league. With him it's like a mini-dream team.

Gary K

Banned
The same can be said about the Warriors not playing complete games either. The fact is that the Warriors SWEPT the series against the Trailblazers. The Blazers won zero games. The Warriors are simply the superior team and they proved it.

I'll agree the Warriors played far more consistently in the series. And their experience showed. But, the Blazers gave away that series. It was their own mental mistakes that doomed them. The regular season was a 2-2 tie and pretty accurately reflects the equality of the two teams. And they both won on each other's home court. But the Blazers went fishing and Warriors went to the finals.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

So, they got one early. Could be the best possible news for GS, long term. I think they need KD to stay if they want to seriously extend the streak and if they cruised without him at this stage I'd say it's a given he's gone, because that's not the narrative his ego needs. If they struggle, lose, or need him late it's better for them as it will change that narrative and increase the likelihood of resigning him and settling him in a way he obviously (and with help from some dunderheaded fans--and at least one teammate) hasn't been.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
KD is out for game 2.

If Toronto wins game 2, things get real interesting.

Toronto is now 3-0 against Golden State this year.
Like they say, it's not a series until someone loses at home.

Lose by 9 away with your best player on the bench and one of the opponents guys playing out of his mind isn't something to rend garments about.