Sports Talk 2018: Lebron to Brady and Everything in Between

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Brady turned 41. More importantly, even the 2001 Seattle Mariners, who won 116 regular season games, didn't win the World Series that season. The Red Sox are only on pace for 112-113 right now.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Brady turned 41.
It's a question of when the wheels come off now, not when...though seeing someone capable of playing into their 40s isn't without precedent of late. More, given the rules changes to promote longevity at the position, the state of medicine, and the year round maintenance athletes understand is a necessary part of their industry, I won't be surprised if the average exit of great ones doesn't look more like Brady's in the future, which means any number of records that once fell begrudgingly may begin to flip with more regularity, at least until that average settles into it.

Idolater

It's a question of when the wheels come off now, not [if]
A thing not in dispute.
...though seeing someone capable of playing into their 40s isn't without precedent of late.
I'm thinking Favre and Testaverde. Favre's wheels definitely had come off, and Testaverde . . . I never saw his wheels in the first place. :D
More, given the rules changes to promote longevity at the position, the state of medicine, and the year round maintenance athletes understand is a necessary part of their industry, I won't be surprised if the average exit of great ones doesn't look more like Brady's in the future, which means any number of records that once fell begrudgingly may begin to flip with more regularity, at least until that average settles into it.
In which case, if you're right (and that isn't granted), then Brady'll be seen as a pioneer.

Legend.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A thing not in dispute.
Excellent.

I'm thinking Favre and Testaverde.
And Moon. He had one good year after 40 for the Seahawks.

Favre's wheels definitely had come off,
No, he had his best year after turning 40, but then the Saints gave him that one shot too many in the playoffs and it broke him, the way Peyton was broken the second time. But before that he was amazing. That's the worry with Brady. At his age he's one injury away from that wall.

and Testaverde . . . I never saw his wheels in the first place. :D
Vinny could ball. But he was streaky. He had two of his best statistical years coming in as relief after he turned 40.

Doug Flutie was effective that way after he hit 40.

In which case, if you're right (and that isn't granted)
Not sure what you mean there. The rules and medicine aren't a subjective evaluation. The rules have been altered since the 90s to protect the offensive skill positions and medicine and nutrition continue to become a more integral part of the athlete's life, especially at that position. So I won't be surprised or awed by a number of the best being effective at a point previously thought to be beyond reach.

In much the same way I wasn't surprised or overawed by seeing a number of people join Marino in the 5k plus yds per season category.

then Brady'll be seen as a pioneer.
No (see: Favre) for the great play after 40 bit, but he could be the standard bearer for longevity if he passes Favre with three solid years still under center. And I think, absent that injury no one can see coming, he should do it.

Best system qb of all time and an all-time great. Even more impressive is his sustained level of play, approaching taking the Jabar mantle away from Favre...unless Brees does it. Depends on the fickle finger of fate. :D

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Looks like Gruden means to continue to jettison players for draft picks and a fresh start in route to Las Vegas. Amari Cooper is apparently up for grabs. There are rumors that Carr might well be too. So for those who were wondering at his letting their defensive star go a couple of weeks ago, seems that was just the spearhead of the rebuilding process.

Idolater

'Looks like---it's still just the fifth inning---Milwaukee is going to force game seven in the NLCS. So Boston still doesn't know which beat up, worn out National League team they're going to beat---I mean play!---in the World Series. Word on the street is that the Red Sox are the plain favorites whomever it is, and it's difficult to disagree with that, but anything can happen.

The Berean

I know it's early but the Golden State Warriors are looking really good. Can they make a run at 74 wins this season? :idunno:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My Golden State Warriors won on opening night and the LA Lakers lost. Life is good.

Be glad you don't live in Dallas right now.

Every one of their sports teams is in last place, or near last place.

Your Warriors will definitely not have to worry about the Mavericks this year.

beloved57

TH

My starting 5 using the modern system:
One guard - Magic, with Stockton as his backup
Two guard - Michael, with Oscar as his backup
Three guard - LeBron, with Larry as his backup
Four guard - Duncan, with Malone as his backup
Five - Olajuwon, with Jabar as his backup

Mine woud be

Point-Magic/Clyde backup
Shooting G- Big O/ AI
Small F-Lebron/ MichaelJ
Power F Bill Russell/ Sir Charles
Pivot Wilt/Oneal

Idolater

'Looks like---it's still just the fifth inning---Milwaukee is going to force game seven in the NLCS. So Boston still doesn't know which beat up, worn out National League team they're going to beat---I mean play!---in the World Series. Word on the street is that the Red Sox are the plain favorites whomever it is, and it's difficult to disagree with that, but anything can happen.
But anything did not happen, and the Red Sox won the title in five games.

It took LA a full 18 innings just to claim their one victory in the series.

And on the 'cliff' watch of Tom Brady, among NFL passers with many attempts, he is 13th right now in passer rating, just behind #12 Aaron Rodgers. Cliff? No, not unless you also think Rodgers is falling off a cliff (he's definitely not). Concerning? Too soon to tell. There seems to be a lot of inflation in this year's passer ratings so far, with the top 11 QBs all coming in with over 100 ratings.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Point-Magic/Clyde backup
Magic I get, but Drexler didn't have the handle of Pasty, or even Nash, so I'm guessing it's more of a PG less second string with an emphasis on scoring over defense.

Shooting G- Big O/ AI
Small F-Lebron/ MichaelJ
You can't start Michael at forward. He's too small in his prime and too slow past it. Oscar is great, of course, but you can't start anyone at shooting guard who isn't named Jordan. Best combination of offense and defense at any position in the history of the game.

AI is too small. In a field of all-time greats he'd be problematic at the point and impossible anywhere else, though he was a terrific player.

Power F Bill Russell/ Sir Charles
Russell and Duncan are essentially the same guy, so I can't quibble. Love Charles too. Good selections.

Pivot Wilt/Oneal
Not as crazy about these, but only because of FT and team chemistry. Jabar is the ultimate team player and had a more complete game than anyone. Olajuwon was my pick because he had a similar ability to play outside his position and play great team ball. He was one of the "baby Jordans" people talked about in the day.

beloved57

Th

Magic I get, but Drexler didn't have the handle of Pasty, or even Nash, so I'm guessing it's more of a PG less second string with an emphasis on scoring over defense.

I mean Clyde Walt Frazier!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

The Berean

Not as crazy about these, but only because of FT and team chemistry. Jabar is the ultimate team player and had a more complete game than anyone. Olajuwon was my pick because he had a similar ability to play outside his position and play great team ball. He was one of the "baby Jordans" people talked about in the day.
Kareem was AMAZING in his prime. Kareen's prime is forgotten. The early to mid 1970's NBA is mostly forgotten. It's sandwiched between the high scoring and Celtics dominated 1960's and the Magic/Bird 1980's era when the NBA really took off on TV. The Kareem of the 1970's is probably the greatest player in NBA history. He could do it all. He was still great in the 1980's of course but not on the same level as the 1970's Kareem.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Kareem was AMAZING in his prime. Kareen's prime is forgotten. The early to mid 1970's NBA is mostly forgotten. It's sandwiched between the high scoring and Celtics dominated 1960's and the Magic/Bird 1980's era when the NBA really took off on TV. The Kareem of the 1970's is probably the greatest player in NBA history. He could do it all. He was still great in the 1980's of course but not on the same level as the 1970's Kareem.
Love Kareem and I'd probably be inclined to start him more days than not. I was thinking of how "The Dream" would fit with everyone else's game. I'm not sure he wouldn't be a better all around with the group I have starting, but from a pure quality at the position starting point you can't do better. No real weaknesses in his game.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Looks more and more like KD isn't entirely comfortable with Golden State. I was wondering if it would be a problem over the long haul, his coming to and joining in the winning that was happening without him, even if he was inarguably key in the lasted spate of it.

I wonder if he'll consider helping to reframe a classic in LA. If you think about it the idea makes sense. He's proven that he can fit in comfortably with other superstars and he'd be a necessary ingredient in restoring the dynastic luster of the Laker franchise. That should appeal. It would involve struggle with GS, but KD and LeBron, along with the talent on hand, maybe another free agent to bolster and he'd be ground floor.

That would have to feel better. It's a thought anyway. I hope he entertains it.

The Berean

Where are people getting this idea that KD wants to leave the Warriors? He has not made any public statement to such an affect. He may leave or he may not. Even if he does leave he is not going to the Lakers. The Lakers can be irrelevant for the next decade for all I care.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Where are people getting this idea that KD wants to leave the Warriors?
From his lack of declaration on the point of desiring to remain, and from thinking about what there is for him to gain by leaving, personally speaking, as I set out in my last.

He has not made any public statement to such an affect.
\
Part of the problem.

He may leave or he may not. Even if he does leave he is not going to the Lakers.
I don't know. I could see the attraction. I'm a Celtics guy, but if I was KD that's where I'd go if I wanted to build my own championship or co-found one. To be part of the rebirth of one of the most storied franchises? That's a draw. To beat the team you were seen as a valuable if mercenary addition to, one that didn't need you to win and proved it? That might be golden.

The Lakers can be irrelevant for the next decade for all I care.
That I believe. :)