Sports Talk 2018: Lebron to Brady and Everything in Between

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Point taken.

However, I still think Leonard should have taken the shot. He made the magical shot to win Game 7 against Philly, and they didn't need a 3-pointer, they were only down by 1. Lowry taking a deep 3 wasn't the best option IMO.

The Berean

The Warriors dynasty has truly ended tonight. First KD is gone for a year. The Warriors lose the NBA Finals. And now the news is that Klay Thompson has a torn ACL. He'll miss most of next season as well. :cry:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Warriors dynasty has truly ended tonight. First KD is gone for a year. The Warriors lose the NBA Finals. And now the news is that Klay Thompson has a torn ACL. He'll miss most of next season as well. :cry:
You guys were just snake bit this year. And you still went toe to toe with a very good team. Then, when Klay went down and you saw Curry sitting there on the floor, watching, understanding that the moment wasn't going to come, that they were going to leave the last of the floor to the enemy.

It wasn't fair, but then, neither was signing KD to begin with...it happens. The basketball gods are frequently cruel. Ask almost everyone who didn't play for the Bulls during Jordan's run.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

It doesn't look good for the Warriors next year.

Not only will they not have KD and Klay for most of the year, they have to pay both of them also.

Anthony Davis and Kawahi Leonard are free agents.........

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Numbers of players projected to play during the 2019 NFL season who,

-played in the 2001 NFL season: 1
-played in 13 conference championships: 1
-played in 9 SBs: 1

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Numbers of players projected to play during the 2019 NFL season who,

-played in the 2001 NFL season: 1
-played in 13 conference championships: 1
-played in 9 SBs: 1
I wonder if this is the season where he hits the wall early instead of late. Brees was falling off late as well.

A year to keep an eye on them, to be sure, for a couple of reasons.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It doesn't look good for the Warriors next year.

Not only will they not have KD and Klay for most of the year, they have to pay both of them also.

Anthony Davis and Kawahi Leonard are free agents.........
A lot of people think the win makes Kawahi more likely to stay where he's adored, but I think he's a realist and understands that trophy was partly a reflection of an unbelievable bad streak of luck for GS. Next year? He'll need a lot more help. Will he get that in Toronto? Or will he have to take his talents elsewhere?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think the Anthony Davis trade will turn out terrible for the Lakers.

The Lakers have given away their young talent and lottery pick.

Davis gets hurt too much, and Lebron is too old.

This reminds me so much of the Herschel Walker trade.

The Pelicans will have 5 lottery picks on their team, all 23 years old, or younger:

Lonzo Ball #2 overall pick, Brandon Ingram #2 overall pick, Zion Williamson #1 overall pick, Jahlil Okafor #3 overall pick, and this years #4 overall pick.

The Berean

I think it is between Ryan and Koufax...

The best ever? Neither. The top pitchers of all time are generally considered to be Walter Johnson, Greg Maddux, Tom Seaver, Randy Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Roger Clemens, Lefty Grove, and Steve Carlton.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
The best ever? Neither. The top pitchers of all time are generally considered to be Walter Johnson, Greg Maddux, Tom Seaver, Randy Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Roger Clemens, Lefty Grove, and Steve Carlton.
I was only suggesting that Ryan's might be the best Arm ever, not that he is the best pitcher ever.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think the Anthony Davis trade will turn out terrible for the Lakers.
Hard to see how.

The Lakers have given away their young talent and lottery pick.
They weren't likely to have great lottery picks with James, who had the Lakers moving into the playoffs before he was injured. There won't be many decent lottery picks with LeBron on your roster. This year was a fluke in that regard, though exactly what player excites you with the 4th pick? It's a thin draft in terms of star power.

Davis gets hurt too much, and Lebron is too old.
Davis is well enough often enough to be considered a top five talent now. LeBron isn't old. Until he was sidelined and with a much inferior cast, allowing other teams to go after him more than normal, he was posting a good year, hitting or exceeding most of his career averages. With the help AD gives them down low he may be primed for a career year and the two together will open up serious space for shooters, which is really the next get for LA.

This reminds me so much of the Herschel Walker trade.
This is nothing like the Walker trade.

The Pelicans will have 5 lottery picks on their team, all 23 years old, or younger:
The Pelicans got a good deal out of this too, but an unproven one with a few injury concerns of their own. This may be a trade where everyone wins...or it could go south for both teams, but the latter doesn't seem likely to me. It's hard to see the Lakers coming out on the short side. They've got at least two great years in LeBron, followed by two or three where he's still a very, very good player who can kill you in spots, like Jabbar did late. In the meantime they have AD, who is entering his prime and is dominant. That will draw talent to them.

Lonzo Ball #2 overall pick, Brandon Ingram #2 overall pick, Zion Williamson #1 overall pick, Jahlil Okafor #3 overall pick, and this years #4 overall pick.
Ball is hurt, but if he snaps back he'll be a distributing asset. We don't know what Zion will or won't be. And this years' 4 is as likely to be traded as used by New Orleans.

The Berean

By NBA standards LeBron is old. He turns 35 in December. Plus, he's been in the NBA since age 18. He has already played more playoff minutes ever and has by far the most mintues played through age 34. This past season LeBron suffered his first major injury. LeBron has reached the age where he'll start missing more and more games with these nagging injuries. LeBron is still great, obviously, but he is definitely in decline. His defense is declining more than his offense so far. But LeBron can't cover the smaller quick forwards anymore. Going forward LeBron will get a little bit worse every season. LeBron has mentioned several times that he wants to play long enough to play with his son, LeBron Jr. But Jr is only 14 years and is probably five years away from being a position to enter the NBA.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
By NBA standards LeBron is old.
But there was nothing like him by NBA standards at his peak, so even a decline has him likely atop things next year with more time off than he's known in ages.

tHe turns 35 in December. Plus, he's been in the NBA since age 18. He has already played more playoff minutes ever and has by far the most mintues played through age 34. This past season LeBron suffered his first major injury. LeBron has reached the age where he'll start missing more and more games with these nagging injuries. LeBron is still great, obviously, but he is definitely in decline. His defense is declining more than his offense so far. But LeBron can't cover the smaller quick forwards anymore. Going forward LeBron will get a little bit worse every season. LeBron has mentioned several times that he wants to play long enough to play with his son, LeBron Jr. But Jr is only 14 years and is probably five years away from being a position to enter the NBA.
Again, his numbers don't agree with the notion of an appreciable decline and those numbers came with him getting more attention last year than he did with more able and mature team in Cleveland. AD will help extend his career and its efficacy even more. As for defense, he's at the age where he shouldn't be tasked with covering the way he did in his mid to late 20s, but you'll have to show me who it is you believe is getting his goat when it comes to covering his man. And the injury was his first to set him down for that long, but I wouldn't call it serious. The Lakers kept him on the bench when it was smarter to do it, a lesson your Warriors could have learned a bit earlier in the day.

But let's say LeBron gets a little worse over the next two seasons. He'll still be in the top three to five next year and likely the year after. Beyond that, let him play Jabbar, and be a difference maker to AD's shift into the primary role. If the Lakers make the right acquisitions they could win a couple of more rings before this is done. Possibly more, depending on the rate of James' decline, AD's health and who comes on for the fun.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
By NBA standards LeBron is old. He turns 35 in December.

LeBron is done, and so are the Lakers.

The Laker's franchise is currently a circus.

From 1949 to 2013 (65 seasons) the Lakers missed the playoffs a total of 5 times, and went to the NBA Finals 31 times. Counting this season, the Lakers have missed the playoffs the last 6 seasons in a row.

The entire Laker organization is nothing of what it used to be. Signing Lebron was a desperation move by the Lakers, and now the Anthony Davis trade is an even bigger desperation move by the Lakers.

As someone who hates the Lakers, I'm enjoying every minute of their demise from what they used to be.