Sports Talk 2018: Lebron to Brady and Everything in Between

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The fact of the matter is that if the 49ers had to play two of their Super Bowl games against the 70's Steelers they might have lost those two games.
See, that's not really a fact. It's a speculation dressed as one. It's no more or less determinative of anything than, "What if someone shot him in the leg on that last drive?"

And if they did lose those games Montana would not be considered the best quarterback of all time.
Again, not necessarily. Wins and loses can be contextualized depending on the play at position.

As great as Peyton was, no one really credits him with the second ring the way they do, say, Elway's last. And no one really counts Marino's one and done as a commentary on his greatness.

So it could be said that Montana just won the luck of the draw.
You play the teams there are to play. The rest is fan fiction.

Jerry Shugart

See, that's not really a fact. It's a speculation dressed as one.

So are you saying that if the 49ers played the 70s Steelers in two Super Bowls it is impossible that they could have lost to the Steelers both times? I doubt if you would say that it would be impossible.

So if the 49ers would have lost to the Steelers in two Super Bowls quarterbacked by Montana would you still say that Montana was the best quarterback of all time?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So are you saying that if the 49ers played the 70s Steelers in two Super Bowls it is impossible that they could have lost to the Steelers both times? I doubt if you would say that it would be impossible.
You could ask me if it's possible that the Niners would have won both. Same sort of response to either. And the same value.

So if the 49ers would have lost to the Steelers in two Super Bowls quarterbacked by Montana would you still say that Montana was the best quarterback of all time?
"...for me to think the same about Joe he'd have to play as well as he did when he won and still lose.

The only time the losing quarterback didn't play poorly both played exceptionally. And that happened once in Montana's era, five times in the rules altered modern era, where it's just plain easier to put up numbers and good looking stats in a game...which is why almost half the starting qbs last year had a season average rating over 100."

Jerry Shugart

"...for me to think the same about Joe he'd have to play as well as he did when he won and still lose.

By your own words Staubach played an excellent game against the Steelers in a Super Bowl but still the Boys lost.

Again, if the 49ers plated the 70s Steelers in two Super Bowls and lost them both would you still argue that Montana is the best quarterback in the history of the NFL?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
By your own words Staubach played an excellent game against the Steelers in a Super Bowl but still the Boys lost.
I noted that. It was the only such game in that pre modern, rules change driven pinball machine of an NFL. Bradshaw had an even greater game that day.

Again, if the 49ers plated the 70s Steelers in two Super Bowls and lost them both would you still argue that Montana is the best quarterback in the history of the NFL?
You can ask the same question as many times as it pleases you, but I've given you the answer I mean to and the reasons for it. :cheers:

Meantime, I've been looking at the king of 4th quarter comebacks, Peyton Manning. He's still 8 ahead of Brady despite Tom playing a year beyond him already...I was thinking about that when it struck me that I was looking at part of the rebuttal to the foolish notion of Manning as "the greatest regular season quarterback." A backhanded compliment/insult meant to focus attention to the difference between regular season wins and success that seemed to end in the post season.

My normal argument was to note that his actual position stats were better than post season Golden Boy Brady, at least until the last couple of broken years dragged them a little lower. Of course the answer by most was the old confusion of team accomplishments with individual play.

But thinking of both of those things...during the time they hung this around his neck he was having to routinely make a lesser team look better than they were. He did that by leading last quarter charges that ended in totals which led to people mistaking the value of his supporting cast more often than not, a thing only pointedly demonstrated during his year off due to catastrophic injury, when that supporting cast won all of 2 games.

Here's the list of seasons, with total wins followed by how many of them were pulled out of his helmet late:

1998: 3-13 record, 1 comeback
1999: 13-4 record, 7 comebacks, or they could have as easily been 6-11
2000: 10-6 record, 3 comebacks, or they could have as easily been 7-9
2001: 6-10 record, 0 comebacks. They were as bad as they looked.
2002: 10-6 record, 5 comebacks, or they could have as easily been 5-11
2003: 12-4 record, 4 comebacks, or they could have as easily been 8-8
2004: 12-4 record, 4 comebacks, or they could have as easily been 8-8
2005: 14-2 record, 1 comeback, or they could have as easily been 13-2, a great year.
2006: 12-4 record, 3 comebacks, or they could have as easily been 9-7, and they won a SB.
2007: 13-3 record, 2 comebacks, or they could have as easily been 11-5
2008: 12-4 record, 7 comebacks, or they could have as easily been 5-11
2009: 14-2 record, 7 comebacks, or they could have as easily been 7-9
2010: 10-6 record, 2 comebacks, or they could have as easily been 8-8

In other words, without him leading the team to 4th quarter victories you're looking at a mediocre team, with the exception of a three year stretch when Dungy gave him a solid defense. They won a SB in that stretch. In the worst 2 years they couldn't even manage to rally. During the rest of his days at Indy he had to lead his team to an average of 5 comebacks each year. Or they averaged 11 wins with comebacks. Without them Indy was a team averaging 7.5 wins a season.

To put it in perspective, Brady has had to come up with 2.5 of those each season, on average. And during that stretch they've averaged about 12.5 wins. Meaning that during Brady's entire career he played with teams that on average would have won 10 games each year, even without the comebacks.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
the 70's Steelers

It's kinda neat seeing a Cowboy's fan make post after post after post about how great the 70's Steelers were.......LOL

If it makes you feel any better, I thought those Cowboys of the 90's were a great team, and would have won even more Super Bowls had Jimmy Johnson not been fired.

Jerry Shugart

It's kinda neat seeing a Cowboy's fan make post after post after post about how great the 70's Steelers were.......LOL

If it makes you feel any better, I thought those Cowboys of the 90's were a great team, and would have won even more Super Bowls had Jimmy Johnson not been fired.

Both the Cowboys and Steelers had great teams during the 70's. And perhaps a dropped pass by tight end Jackie Smith in one of the Super Bowls lead to the Boys losing that Super Bowl. If Dallas would have won one of the two Super bowls between the two they would have been the team of the 70s instead of the Steelers.

That would mean that the Boys would have been the only team who was the team of two different decades--the 70s and the 90s! But the 70s Steelers were a great, great team! I doubt if any team has as many Hall of Famers as the Steelers team who beat the Boys in two Super Bowls.

Jerry Shugart

You can ask the same question as many times as it pleases you, but I've given you the answer I mean to and the reasons for it.

You didn't answer my question but only evaded answering it. And the reason is obvious--if the 49ers had gone 2-2 in their Super Bowls under Montana you wouldn't say that Montana was the best quarterback in NFL history.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You didn't answer my question but only evaded answering it.
Sometimes you just have to accept the other fellow's response, Jerry.

And the reason is obvious
It should be. I literally told you why I don't entertain what might have beens when the aim is negatively self-serving. It's as easy to ask what if they'd met and beaten those 70s Steelers. The answer is still found in how they played.

Like I said, sometimes you have a great game and still lose. It's a team sport. Sometimes you have a poor game and win (see: Peyton's last SB).

if the 49ers had gone 2-2 in their Super Bowls under Montana you wouldn't say that Montana was the best quarterback in NFL history.
No, that's just you serving yourself because I won't. And you're wrong. I don't fault Staubach for having a great game and losing to Bradshaw, who had an even better one. It doesn't diminish his play for me. Staubach's poor play in Super Bowl 10 does impact his overall reputation, but not the loss to Bradshaw and the Steelers in 13.

If both games had looked like 13 I'd have said Staubach just couldn't overcome the better team, despite more than doing his part. Marino's poor play in his only SB is a mark against him, without the balance that, say, Elway's earlier poor showings got with later and better ones.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Well they got the one that was really just running out what Jimmy had set up. But if he'd remained I think they might have gotten to four under him and we'd be looking at them in the same general sense that we do Bradshaw's Steelers and Montana's Niners, though I don't believe any team has been as talented in a stretch as Bradshaw's Steelers. I'm not sure if there's another dynasty that could come out better in a series head to head.

And before Jerry jumps on that, I have less concern about any Cowboys team against that Niners group...though the Niners weren't really like either the Steelers or Cowboys. They didn't really have the one main group with a tight cluster. It came in two waves for them. And Joe could have gotten one for the thumb if Young hadn't been his backup. Ah, well.

Jerry Shugart

Staubach's poor play in Super Bowl 10 does impact his overall reputation, but not the loss to Bradshaw and the Steelers in 13.

I doubt if Montana would have played any better than Staubach, considering the fact that he was under extreme pressure all game long from the vaulted Steeler's Steel Curtain. In fact, he was sacked seven times in that game. And his last interception was a result of a Hail Mary pass which had little chance of being completed since the Steelers had so many players in their defensive backfield guarding against such a pass.

If anyone's reputation suffered in that game it was not Staubach's but instead the offensive line. Besides that, Dallas' team wasn't that strong that year as they were the first wild card team to play in the Super Bowl.

I don't believe any team has been as talented in a stretch as Bradshaw's Steelers. I'm not sure if there's another dynasty that could come out better in a series head to head.

The '92 Boys were as good as any team in NFL history and they would have been the greatest dynasty in NFL history except for the fact that the NFL brought in Free-Agency the next year and the Boys started losing some of their best players.

But the Boys have the highest winning percentage in total games and regular season games of any team in the NFL!

And winning is the name of the game!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And winning is the name of the game!

Your Boys were in 14 of first 26 NFC Championship Games, but haven't been to any of the last 23 NFC Championship Games

You better hope Ezekiel Elliot ends his holdout, or it's very quickly going to be 24 NFC Championship Games without your Boys.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
"You're the best. They should rename this place Staubach stadium" - former President Lyndon Johnson to Roger Staubach after the 1971 NFC Championship Game.

Neither Bradshaw, Montana, or Brady ever recieved such accolades from a US President.

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
AFC/NFC Championship Game droughts:

30 - Bengals
27 - Redskins & Lions
26 - Browns & Dolphins
25 - Bills
23 - Cowboys
17 - Texans
16 - Raiders, Titans, and Buccaneers
11 - Chargers
8 - Jets & Bears
7 - Giants
6 - Ravens
5 - 49'ers
4 - Colts & Seahawks
3 - Broncos, Cardinals, Panthers
2 - Steelers, Falcons, Packers
1 - Vikings, Eagles, Jaguars
0 - Patriots, Chiefs, Saints, Rams

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"You're the best. They should rename this place Staubach stadium" - former President Lyndon Johnson to Roger Staubach after the 1971 NFC Championship Game.

Neither Bradshaw, Montana, or Brady ever recieved such accolades from a US President.
You left out an itty bitty qualification. Johnson was from Texas.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I doubt if Montana would have played any better than Staubach
Who knows? I'd say probably, because Montana was a better quarterback, especially under pressure, but that's a hard team to play against. It comes down to styles and how they match up. A couple of those Montana teams were defensive monsters too, so maybe Bradshaw would be watching Deon high kick into the end zone. :idunno:

The '92 Boys were as good as any team in NFL history
Now this interests me.

Let's look at some opinions on that that aren't from ancient Greeks. Top 5 teams of all time (plus where your pick ranks)

USA Today Top 100 Teams
1. 85 Bears
2. 84 Niners
3. 62 Packers
4. 89 49ers
5. 72 Dolphins
21. 71 Cowboys
23. 92 Cowboys

ESPN Top 10
1. 85 Bears
2. 72 Dolphins
3. 62 Packers
4. 91 Redskins
5. 99 Rams
6. 80 Niners
10. 71 Cowboys

NFL.com Top 10

1. 89 Niners
2. 78 Steelers
3. 07 Pats
4. 72 Dolphins
5. 62 Packers
6. 85 Bears
7. 98 Broncos
8. 05 Pats
9. 68 Colts
10. 92 Cowboys

I'm going to have to think for a bit for my top 5.