On Consent

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
story on the cbc this morning:

The Student Federation of the University of Ottawa is launching an investigation into a dare-filled pub crawl after an exposé published by the school’s student newspaper – but not all students agree it was dangerous.

The article was published in La Rotonde and written by news editor Yasmine Mehdi, who went undercover at the invite-only event on Oct. 7.

The event involves a challenge to complete dares for points, including ordering a plate of nachos or giving a piggyback ride. A number of the dares were more sexual, involving genital piercings, bodily fluids and sex between participants.

Mehdi described the night as sex-filled and alcohol-fueled, attended by around 120 student association representatives. The story includes an interview with one woman who said her team laughed at her when she refused a sexual dare.

The Science Students' Association, which organized the event, released a statement describing it as ”ill-conceived” and “wrong” and said it will be cancelled.

Three former participants, who spoke to Metro but did not want to be identified, said they had a much different experience at the event. All three said they personally had fun and weren’t pressured into sexual dares.

One, who participated in 2007, said he believes that rape culture is a serious issue but said the risk at the Vet’s Tour is no different than other pub crawls or student events.

“To me, the moral outrage with it is sort of like showing up a nude beach and being disgusted that there are naked people there,” he said.

“Rape culture is absolutely a real thing that I have experienced elsewhere, but I did not experience it on Vet's Tour,” said a different former student, who participated in 2008.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa...-students-defend-controversial-vets-tour.html

brief summary - students agreed to participate in this "pub crawl" knowing that it involved sex

students signed consent form agreeing to participate

students drank a whole bunch and engaged in sex

guest on call-in show made claim that consent can't be given when inebriated

question for the peanut gallery: if consent has already been given while sober, can consent be rescinded when inebriated?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
my wife and often enjoyed a bottle of wine or two before enjoying other things :idunno:

Arthur Brain

my wife and often enjoyed a bottle of wine or two before enjoying other things :idunno:

Who's 'Often'?

Maybe you should put the bottle down yourself dude.

:AMR:

Otherwise, as has already been stated, no means no whether sober, drunk, covered in marmalade, wearing a traffic cone etc etc.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
It's sad that a person can pretty much assume the subject just by seeing the mere word 'consent', or the subject coming to mind every time the word is stated. It means that the subject has run itself beyond it's bare rims and is now cratering the earth, all due to people continuing to entertain this never-ceasing victim complex of unprincipled females.

Yes, women have been consenting to sex while inebriated and then waking up in the morning and filing charges. By their own damn admission, which is the crazy part, because they assume that morons will either support them or that they won't go challenged.

Arthur Brain

It's sad that a person can pretty much assume the subject just by seeing the mere word 'consent', or the subject coming to mind every time the word is stated. It means that the subject has run itself beyond it's bare rims and is now cratering the earth, all due to people continuing to entertain this never-ceasing victim complex of unprincipled females.

Yes, women have been consenting to sex while inebriated and then waking up in the morning and filing charges. By their own damn admission, which is the crazy part, because they assume that morons will either support them or that they won't go challenged.

'Victim complex of unprincipled females'?

Well, complex certainly doesn't apply to you or the OP...

Perspex maybe...

:plain:

Arthur Brain

Yes, slatterns who make false claims to get attention or revenge.

They exist- don't get mad at anyone who acknowledges it. Shed your numale mentality elsewhere :chuckle:

I don't get mad at ya dude. When puberty kicks in you'll probably grow up a bit anyway.

:D

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
I don't get mad at ya dude. When puberty kicks in you'll probably grow up a bit anyway.

:D

A real man recognizes that the agenda is not about equality, but about advantage, being protected no matter what- even of the consequences of their own actions, and making men appear to be victimizing women.

You are not one of those men :chuckle:

Arthur Brain

A real man recognizes that the agenda is not about equality, but about advantage, being protected no matter what- even of the consequences of their own actions, and making men appear to be victimizing women.

You are not one of those men :chuckle:

A real mans gotta chuckle at himself and by hell or high water if a woman gets in the way of that then she should be darn right chagrined at best!

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
A real mans gotta chuckle at himself and by hell or high water if a woman gets in the way of that then she should be darn right chagrined at best!

As opposed to you being chagrined if you get in the way of a woman :rolleyes:

Still have your shirt by the way

AllyTshirt.jpg