College Football 2016

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then why does the Big 10 have a 3-7 bowl record this year?

Because Florida State and USC have an abnormal amount of NFL talent. The Big Ten has 3 of the best 8 teams in FBS, all in the same division. I put the ACC right behind them with their depth. Maybe even above them if Clemson takes it. USC is one from the PAC 12. Alabama is one from the SEC. The Big 12 is not even in the conversation, and you know Washington just isn't really all there.

To be honest, I thought Penn State and Michigan were going to get rolled, and Ohio State-Clemson is a toss up.

Why did Ohio State get destroyed by Clemson?

Did you watch the game? Dabo was clearly a step ahead all the time. They run the same system with the same players they both recruit. Clemson stayed with the inside power runs, forcing the defense to play all 7 in the box. That is when the edge opens. Meyer, being stuck in his ways like I said he can be, was forcing it without running inside. At all. Clemson over loaded and Ohio State did not change. You can ask Meyer.

Alabama was just too much for Washington. When that happens, the scores are back loaded from wearing down the opponents.

They still have a chance in Columbus, but need a great game while having Urban Meyer look unprepared.

How often is that going to happen?

Roll Tide.

It happened with Clemson.

Therefore, Alabama will destroy Clemson even more so than Clemson destroyed Ohio State.

My prediction:

Alabama 52
Clemson 14

I don't think so. I am not sure because

You know big time coaches often fail at their own pride. The biggest and best coaches all do it.

We are doing this, and they won't stop it mentality.

By the way, their OC and QB coach is already out the door. Rumor is the fired Kevin Wilson is moving into Columbus on their boards. You know the guy who took Indidana (!) to 6 win seasons with offense alone.

Clemson can play with them. Just like last year. I see no reason why they game is not competitive.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Najee Harris is going to Alabama. He is the number 1 overall prospect. But that doesn't mean he is actually better than Cam Akers. They are both awesome.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Touchdown, Alabama. 14 points is a big hole against this Alabama defense.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Alabama does just that, driving after an ill advised pooch punt from Clemson. With 2:07 remaining, it's time for the defense to make one last great stop.

Alabama 31
Clemson 28

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
When it was 14-0, I thought my 52-14 prediction was going to come true.

I was stunned when Clemson came back and won. It was a great game to watch.

Clemson's win helps Pitt. Pitt can now tell its recruits it was the only team to beat the National Champion.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How did yesterday's game rank among the greatest NCAA Title games of all time?

The contenders:

A) 2006 Rose Bowl, Texas vs. USC.....Young scored in the final seconds.

B) 1984 Orange Bowl, Nebraska vs. Miami.....Miami stops the 2 point conversion and wins by 1 point.

C) 2003 Fiesta Bowl, Ohio St vs Miami....Miami tied it, went to overtime, Miami had the game won, but a pass interference call extended the game and Ohio St won.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Texas-USC, unless you are from SoCal. I think they have slowly let it sink in though.

As for the back alley banter, that was a pick play, and illegal in college football. But the Big 12 officials only call defensive interference. And the phantom call a few plays earlier where Herbstreit declared "he threw him to the ground"...he did no such thing. In my experience, Bama fans don't whine. Leave that to the U.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Funny thing, Notre Dame had a TD called back. I was thinking Michigan State, but it was Florida State. The first hits on google were the pick play last night.

I have no problem with no call on the play. My problem is the officials being allowed to use "judgment" at any level.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Rules are rules, not "judgment calls". That is my only complaint. Dabo was prepared for who was calling the game.

And as I have had time to chew on it, when Scarbrough went down, Bama got tentative. For no reason. Next man up can play too.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I was saying to some friends that ultimately the lesson is simple, a terrific offense and defense will generally beat a great defense with a one dimensional offense, barring turnovers. Bama had opportunities to win, even so, but the offense couldn't consistently click against that defense, not with Clemson cheating a bit with the certainty that we weren't capable of seriously and consistently stretching the field.

Sets up a heck of an off season and run for it next year. :D

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think I will put signing day and combine here. No reason to start the 2017 thread for the NFL in April. Or it will be an off season thread.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is national signing day for football players. Their first step to towards what they hope is future NFL glory. But first they have to abide by the rules, academic and other wise of Texas, USC, Alabama, A&M, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State....

I will put up composite ratings and late big name signings. There is a DT from Texas who is on the short list of all the usual suspects, and he is leaning LSU. If so, he will start as a freshmen to try and end the Bama dominance.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Marvin Wilson, the DT, choose FSU. Florida State has been right there all three years, and will be stacked this year. They will face the challenge of figuring out where the production will go.

The short story is the same as the last 3 years. Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State...with USC coming on hard and fast. And Ohio State has the Big Ten East with Michigan, Penn State (both of whom surprised me...by a lot) and Maryland. Yes, Maryland had the number 18 overall class.

The overall rankings this year are like a broken record on some fronts.
  1. Alabama
  2. Ohio State
  3. Georgia
  4. USC (coming hard and fast)
  5. Michigan
  6. Florida State
  7. LSU
  8. Oklahoma
  9. Auburn
  10. Florida
  11. Notre Dame
  12. Texas A&M
  13. Miami
  14. Stanford
  15. Penn State
  16. Clemson
  17. Tennessee
  18. Maryland
  19. UCLA
  20. Oregon

Another surprise is Tet's Fighting Dan Marino Pitt Panthers.

They landed 2 good running backs, one being the number 19 and one 22, Florida and Ohio. They will fit in how Narduzzi wants to play offense. I think it is only a matter of short time before he has them in the ACC title game. Being in their division will help.