Odds and Ends

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
just a thread for stuff I run across while looking for other stuff

for instance, I have to fabricate a bearing retainer installation tool and I'm googling to get an idea of what the experts use and I ran across a site devoted to "Van Dieman cars"

now, I'm fairly well versed in exotic cars, but I've never heard of van dieman (except in the context of Tasmania), so a quick google later reveals that they were a british race car manufacturer, active in the 70s up until recently

who knew? :idunno:

9543223513_5a16da4cb1_b.jpg

Last edited:

ok doser

and the other day, I was looking on youtube for a song I had heard on the CBC, "White Canada Forever", which I couldn't find :sozo2:

... but I did run across AMR's youtube channel! :banana:

ok doser

heard "bogus" used on the cbc yesterday, by an erudite host and wondered about the etymology:

bogus Look up bogus at Dictionary.com
1838, "counterfeit money, spurious coin," American English, apparently from a slang word applied (according to some sources first in Ohio in 1827) to a counterfeiter's apparatus.

One bogus or machine impressing dies on the coin, with a number of dies, engraving tools, bank bill paper, spurious coin, &c. &c. making in all a large wagon load, was taken into possession by the attorney general of Lower Canada. [Niles' Register, Sept. 7, 1833, quoting from Concord, New Hampshire, "Statesman," Aug. 24]

Some trace this to tantrabobus, also tantrabogus, a late 18c. colloquial Vermont word for any odd-looking object, in later 19c. use "the devil," which might be connected to tantarabobs, recorded as a Devonshire name for the devil. Others trace it to the same source as bogey (n.1).

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=bogus

ok doser

might give these a watch if i can find them online:

The impulse to dismiss extremists as unreachable fanatics is strong and at times justifiable. But perhaps it’s not always the most effective means of combating them. Deeyah Khan, a journalist and filmmaker, has decided to engage them directly as human beings.

In two documentary films, White Right: Meeting the Enemy and Jihad: A Story of the Others (both of which are currently streaming on Netflix), Khan sits down with white supremacists and jihadists (respectively) and tries to understand what’s really motivating them. It’s an attempt to cut through the rhetoric and the ideological trappings and find out why so many young men — and yes, it’s primarily young men — are drawn to extremist movements.

https://www.vox.com/world/2019/1/14/18151799/extremism-white-supremacy-jihadism-deeyah-khan

what does it say about me that i'm more interested in the first? :think:

ok doser

[MENTION=2451]The Berean[/MENTION]

have you seen these?
folding bikes have been a mainstay with the yachting crowd for years, but usually awkwardly designed - this is a neater concept i hadn't seen before:
112597n-green-bike.jpg

this one's electric - no pedals

folds up to the size of a PFD

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

have you seen these?
folding bikes have been a mainstay with the yachting crowd for years, but usually awkwardly designed - this is a neater concept i hadn't seen before:
112597n-green-bike.jpg

My only qualm would be how quickly that single failure point in the middle of the bike would affect the handling and lifetime of the bike.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
“Don’t put all your eggs in one basket” is all wrong. I tell you “put all your eggs in one basket, and then watch that basket.”
Andrew Dale Carnegie

Make sure that joint is stiff, rugged, and reliable.

ok doser

My only qualm would be how quickly that single failure point in the middle of the bike would affect the handling and lifetime of the bike.

that's always been a design challenge with folding bikes - never been all that interested in them myself - i ran across that researching electric bicycles - there's some pretty cool hybrid (on/off road) electric bikes out there, but they're crazy expensive

same thing with the electric motorcycles - for the price of a new Zero SR, i can buy a good used jap cruiser from the eighties, pay a couple grand to a shop to detail it and make it reliable and still have enough left over for a good running Model T or a classic convertible

genuineoriginal

New Emoji include 'tiny penis' and 'period blood,' according to the Internet

Unicode just released its 2019 Emoji list, and the update included 230 new texting symbols, including a pinching fingers gesture that people on Twitter say represents a small penis and a drop of blood that internet culture is using to represent menstruation.

Internet trolls are rejoicing over the ability to use a single emoji to tell men that they are worthless or to tell women that they are being hormonal.

ok doser

Unicode just released its 2019 Emoji list, and the update included 230 new texting symbols, including a pinching fingers gesture that

people on Twitter

say represents a small penis and a drop of blood that internet culture is using to represent menstruation.

Internet trolls are rejoicing over the ability to use a single emoji to tell men that they are worthless or to tell women that they are being hormonal.

"people on Twitter "

aka retards

glorydaz

Unicode just released its 2019 Emoji list, and the update included 230 new texting symbols, including a pinching fingers gesture that people on Twitter say represents a small penis and a drop of blood that internet culture is using to represent menstruation.

The women's rights group will have their heads.

The Berean

have you seen these?
112597n-green-bike.jpg

Interesting design. The frame doesn't look too rigid, though.