they are skyping again
the return of anita hill
a lie detector test?
can you trust the fbi?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
dianne feinstein is trying to smear Kavanaugh
It isn't a smear if it's true and neither of us know if the allegations are true, false, or a distortion that lies somewhere in between.

a last ditch effort
to protect your right to kill your baby
So you think Kavanaugh was actually put in play to undo Roe? Interesting. I don't. In fact, I strongly suspect it will take a legislative effort and amendment to manage that, which means changing many more American minds on the topic, democrat and republican alike.

dems are scumbags
Even the pro-life dems?

Now if Kavanaugh did as the woman who has made the claim alleges, a woman willing to attach her name and reputation to the charge, and who stands ready to bear witness on the point before a panel of congressmen, many of whom would without question do anything they could to destroy her testimony and credibility, it's problematic for the nomination. Judges recuse themselves for the appearance of impropriety. This is a potential death knell for Kavanaugh. He needs to meet the charge head on and she has to be heard.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
This is about abortion

In 1991 Anita Hill came forward with sexual accusations to keep Clarence Thomas off the Supreme Court

In 2018 Christine Ford is coming forward with sexual accusations to keep Brett Kavanaugh off the Supreme Court

These accusations made to keep good men off the court cannot be proven and will most likely not keep Kavanaugh off the court
-but-
they will tarnish forever everyone involved in this process
-and-
it shows to what extent democrats will go to protect baby killers

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
These accusations made to keep good men off the court
I'm speaking to Kavanaugh. A nominee you may recall me note as an able jurist and someone who should be on the Court, our differences notwithstanding. I'm not out to get him, but you can't do what you just did and simply assume he's a good man wronged.

It needs to be examined. Let both of them speak to it and men charged with a solemn duty actually do theirs.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
morning sickness
they are skyping again
it's a no win situation for republican men
it's the seriousness of the charges
that can't be proven
you don't have to prove them
you just have to make them
-and-
get a former fbi agent to do the polygraph test
who wouldn't trust a former fbi agent

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
town is protecting the democrats who are protecting the baby killers
What chrys is doing here is what invariably happens when reason meets a position that cannot be answered reasonably. Kill the messenger.

The problem is he's picked an issue where I have an established position that doesn't begin to support the effort. It's one I've held as both an atheist and as a member of the Body, opposing abortion for the entirety of my life. I think it is our slavery, our moral fault and failing, and the strongest stain on our national character in existence.

So here's what's actually happening. Serious allegations have been made about the nominee to the Court. As able a jurist as I believe Kavanaugh's record demonstrates him to be, he should not be confirmed without an examination of those charges, charges involving moral turpitude, proffered by a woman who has publicly set them and put her own character and reputation in jeopardy for the effort. It is the duty of the confirming body to do their due diligence on the point. It is their responsibility to both the people they serve and the institutions they protect.

I don't know if she's telling the truth. I don't know if she's lying. I don't know if it's some distortion in between the two. And if you're reading this neither do you. But I do know the effort must be made.This is about the Court and who is permitted to serve it. This is about the duty of those entrusted to protect vital institutions of government. Anything less than a sober deliberation will only work to further undermine those institutions and the faith of the public in them.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
you voted for a man who supported partial birth abortion
Any vote for either candidate was a vote for someone who supported abortion. Fortunately for us that issue wasn't being decided by either candidate. It was decided by the Court that gave us Roe.

The issue before us isn't abortion either, or politics. I'm sure there are people who would like for it to be about either or both, but it's not. It's about serious charges that have to be examined by the body given the task of sober deliberation.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
the man you voted for put two young liberal women on the supreme court who will support abortion til the day they die
I suspect you're right. But they don't really need to, given Roe has already set the precedent.

Now Kavanaugh has had charges set against him by a woman staking her credibility and good name against his. Given the importance of his position as a lifetime appointee to the highest court in the land, those charged with the responsibility of deliberating the merits of his appointment should do so and publicly, so as to support the integrity of the institutions they are sworn to uphold.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
morning sickness
they are skyping again

making fun of Trump and sports before getting to ford refusing to testify

if ford won't testify
they should ask Jerry Hanafin
the former fbi agent
who did the polygraph test

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Mark Judge could be the key to this whole thing
He won't testify
He doesn't have to
He wrote a book
Just read the book
ford or her cohorts must have

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
professor anita hill got her details from a book
professor chist ford got her details from a book
written by mark judge

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Orrin Hatch is still around
Just barely
It was Orrin who confronted professor anita hill about the source of her details
He then proceeded to quote the book
I was really looking forward to Senator Hatch's first question
So tell me professor ford, I'm sorry, doctor ford, have you ever read a book by mark judge?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
morning sickness
mika is off
joe is skyping
joe is actually criticizing the democrats for the way this was handled
it had to be a democrat who leaked ford's name to force the issue
ford should have known
you can't trust a democrat
you can't trust a baby killer

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
morning sickness
mika is off
joe is skyping
joe is actually criticizing the democrats for the way this was handled
it had to be a democrat who leaked ford's name to force the issue
ford should have known
you can't trust a democrat
you can't trust a baby killer
It's not just democrats (and not all of them).

Gallup within this year has it:

29% of Americans support abortion rights under any circumstances.
20% of Americans oppose abortion rights under any circumstances.
50% of Americans support abortion rights under some circumstances.

So more Americans support abortion rights without caveat than oppose it and most Americans support abortion rights in some form.

Some good news in the polling. Among those who support abortion rights that support appears to largely rest in the first trimester, rapidly dwindling thereafter. By the third trimester 81% of Americans oppose legal abortions and only 13% support it.

When a woman's life is endangered, abortion rights are favored 83% to 15% a response essentially unchanged since the polling in 2003.
Rape and incest still has popular support in terms of abortion rights, with 77% for and 21% opposed, up 5% since 2003.
Child born with life-threatening illness is in third place, with 67% for and 31% opposed, up 7% since 2003.

On how Americans feel about abortion rights as they currently stand:

Satisfied as is 37%
Dissatisfied and want stricter, 22%
Dissatisfied and want less strict 19%
Dissatisfied, but want same 10%
No opinion, 12%

538 polling from 2017 looked for the party line of demarcation among their respective rank and file, asking if abortion should be legal in most cases or illegal in most cases.

Republicans came in 65% illegal in most cases to 34% saying it should be legal in most cases.
Independents came in 38% illegal in most cases to 60% saying it should be legal in most cases.
Democrats came in 22% illegal in most cases, to 75% saying it should be legal in most cases.

Interesting factoid, around 16% of Democrats would approve of overturning Roe.