chrysostom

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do Calvinists agree that it would be evil to oppose God?

When a Calvinist tells others that they should do good and not evil, they just might be talking to someone that is not capable of doing anything but evil.
So telling them to be good would be in direct conflict with God's decreed purpose that he remain evil.
To put another way, to tell a reprobate that they should be doing good would make you an opposer of God's decree for them.
If they are doing evil things, it is only because God decreed them to be doing evil things.
So why would you tell them to oppose God's decree for them?

Since God is the one that plants belief in you, then telling others what they should believe would be in opposition of God's decree.
They cannot believe what you tell them, they can only believe what God plants in them.
So no one should be listening to you at all.
Nothing you tell them will matter.
In fact, scripture shouldn't even be believed, beacasue it has no power to convince you one way or the other.
They should just wait till God plants in them whatever He wants them to believe.

Therefore, wickedness is decreed by God to take place.
The wicked are no more responsible for their belief and behavior than the non-wicked.
They can be nothing else.
In fact, don't Calvinists say that God's decree is holy and just, and that His decree of wickedness glorifies Him just as His decree of righteous also glorifies Him?
We can sorta see this concept in that it seemed wicked for man to crucify Christ on the cross, but we actually view it as glorious.
So in this case, wickedness did glorify Him.
I mean, Peter tried to stop the wickedness from happening, but was made to not hinder the wickedness, but to let it happen.
But is that the pattern in which we should perceive all wickedness?
Are we to see all wickedness as glorious and not attempt to hinder any wickedness?

Why would God be grieved of the wickedness he saw if that wickedness glorifies Him?
Why would God be grieved when he saw men being wicked, if it was His decree they be that way?
That would have God grieving over what He Himself decreed in advance to happen!

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

I have stp on ignore for very good reasons
-he and others have proved that there are stupid questions
-but
-this got me thinking about walking and working and how much is enough
-it really comes down to attitude
-knowing that we are at His mercy
-knowing that we did not do enough

SaulToPaul 2

I have stp on ignore for very good reasons
-he and others have proved that there are stupid questions
-but
-this got me thinking about walking and working and how much is enough
-it really comes down to attitude
-knowing that we are at His mercy
-knowing that we did not do enough

So if you do 75%, God will cover the 25% remaining?

theophilus

:e4e:

I'm just making a point.
I don't have a problem with walking the walk.
Even non-Christians behave godly at times.
You cannot attach behavior to the gospel, however. It won't work.

I have trouble at times talking the talk.

"No man can tame the tongue"...and I am a woman.

I may as well eat a live Polar Bear with chopsticks (not the piano diddy).

:)

I'm getting there, though.

theophilus

When a Calvinist tells others that they should do good and not evil, they just might be talking to someone that is not capable of doing anything but evil.
So telling them to be good would be in direct conflict with God's decreed purpose that he remain evil.
To put another way, to tell a reprobate that they should be doing good would make you an opposer of God's decree for them.
If they are doing evil things, it is only because God decreed them to be doing evil things.

Since God is the one that plants belief in you, then telling others what they should believe would be in opposition of God's decree.
They cannot believe what you tell them, they can only believe what God plants in them.
In fact, scripture shouldn't even be believed, beacasue it has no power to convince you one way or the other.
They should just wait till God plants in them whatever He wants them to believe.

The wicked are no more responsible for their belief and behavior than the non-wicked.
In fact, don't Calvinists say that God's decree is holy and just, and that His decree of wickedness glorifies Him just as His decree of righteous also glorifies Him?
We can sorta see this concept in that it seemed wicked for man to crucify Christ on the cross, but we actually view it as glorious.
I mean, Peter tried to stop the wickedness from happening, but was made to not hinder the wickedness, but to let it happen.
Are we to see all wickedness as glorious and not attempt to hinder any wickedness?

Why would God be grieved of the wickedness he saw if that wickedness glorifies Him?
Why would God be grieved when he saw men being wicked, if it was His decree they be that way?

I'm going to have to think through this before I answer you.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm going to have to think through this before I answer you.

Thanks, Theo.
I value you as a long time friend.
And until you started posting here at TOL lately, I never viewed you as a Calvinist.
Go figure!

But I would like to discuss the topic with you, and don't intend to stomp on you about it.
Just discuss, friend to friend, and would like any light you can shed on my questions.
With others, you will have to fend for yourself!!!

heir

TOL Subscriber
The Lord, alone, knows the difference between the wheat and the tares. He alone searches the hearts of men. He knows His own.

His own obey Him.
They praise Him.
They thank Him.
They live to honor and glorify Him.
They seek His face.
They bow to Him.
They exalt Him.
They live to please Him.
They confess their sins to Him.
They walk in a manner pleasing to Him.
They are ambassadors for Him.
His word is hidden in their hearts so they might not sin against Him.
They are forgiven in Him.
They die daily for Him.
They deny themselves for Him.
They give for Him.
They sacrifice for Him.
They are sold out to Him.
They speak for Him.
They pray and commune with Him.
They are justified through Him.
They are sanctified by Him.
They are purchased by Him.
They believe, by faith, they will one day be like Him.
Their hearts, souls, minds and strength are consumed with Him and by Him.
They think they deserve Hell.
They are nothing without Him.
They are everything with Him.

He knows His own.
None of those reveal "what determines whether one is a Christian, or not?". A couple of those reveal the person is not! And since when does what you DO have anything to do with salvation?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned

You all's limited perspective of predestination is disappointing. It seems we can never get out of the rudiments in order to delve into anything more complex.

Calvinism sits directly on a notion of Providence, which like Catholicism, there is a authority from within the church itself which God utilizes.
If you tell a person to do good, and they were evil before but become good, then they were predestined, incited by God's Providence to be such.

You really just wasted your time making the other 80% of your post, cascading fiction from more fiction. But I suppose that's all you can do when rejecting the real gospel :rolleyes:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You all's limited perspective of predestination is disappointing. It seems we can never get out of the rudiments in order to delve into anything more complex.

Calvinism sits directly on a notion of Providence, which like Catholicism, there is a authority from within the church itself which God utilizes.
If you tell a person to do good, and they were evil before but become good, then they were predestined, incited by God's Providence to be such.

You really just wasted your time making the other 80% of your post, cascading fiction from more fiction. But I suppose that's all you can do when rejecting the real gospel :rolleyes:
Your non-answers are noted.
According to Calvinism, what you believe is exactly what God made you to believe, and not because you made any decision to agree or disagree.
It is just as likely that God has made you believe a lie, thinking it is truth, so He can be glorified by your false belief..

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Your non-answers are noted.
According to Calvinism, what you believe is exactly what God made you to believe

Exactly. But your premise is based on an idea that people are supposed to believe what they believed in the beginning, which is nonsensical and ridiculous. Calvinism is about the evolution of the person- their end result. What they ultimately become and believe when the rooster crows.
They were either saved or damned from the start according to that.

You should be arrested for attempted theology :rolleyes: