chrysostom

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
so you don't think we have to defund the police?

I don't know how you could get anything else from my post.

However, I did come across this and it's so, so apropos for TOL and for sod's previous post in particular:

As a majority of Minneapolis city council members declared this weekend: "Decades of police reform efforts have proved that the Minneapolis Police Department cannot be reformed, and will never be accountable for its action.”

Despite that truism, the opponents of wholesale change will inevitably continue pushing back, and they will be making two cynical bets.

First and foremost, they are wagering that America is forever frozen in the Reagan-Clinton era -- the epoch in which retrograde politicians got elected berating “superpredators,” promising “tough on crime” measures, pledging to restore “law and order” and pushing to deploy ever-larger quasi-military police forces throughout our communities.

They are also betting that Americans cannot process any nuance at all and that we will interpret “Defund the Police” as some sort of radical idea to turn the country into a completely lawless Purge-esque hellscape.

In the past, those cynical bets might have been pretty safe -- after all, for the last 40 years, America has indeed remained stubbornly authoritarian, inhumane and stupid when it comes to criminal justice policy.

However, of late, there seem to be new signs that we’re getting smarter. Recent polls suggest that popular opinion is with the protesters, not the police -- and favorability ratings for police have plummeted. Additionally, the New York Times notes that “never before in the history of modern polling has the country expressed such widespread agreement on racism’s pervasiveness in policing, and in society at large.”

NB: In the article I linked, Sirota refers to Urban Institute numbers showing that police expenditures had risen triple dollars-to-population since 1977, but when I followed his link, it also noted that numbers were steady at about 4% expenditure. I'd have to study that further, because those numbers are refuted by particular cities, so there's more there than I have time for this morning.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
What game are you playing here? I'm not answering any more of your questions until you do some answering of your own.

here are my answers to the question you should be asking

does the blm represent the blacks?

the answer is clearly no

who are you?
and
how is it that you know what they really mean?
maybe if I got the daily memo, I would to

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
how is it that you know what they really mean?
maybe if I got the daily memo, I would to

You demonstrate the very issue that makes BLM necessary. What *they* want is no different than what YOU want. To not have theIr skin color determine how the police treat them. You have wifffully chosen to pretend there is no difference because you can’t be bothered to care.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
here are my answers to the question you should be asking

does the blm represent the blacks?

the answer is clearly no

Are you speaking for them? As a monolithic ( "the blacks") or as made up of individuals? As a white person I can only repeat and reflect on what they tell me in essays and articles through online voices because to assume I know would be another representation of white racism.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You demonstrate the very issue that makes BLM necessary. What *they* want is no different than what YOU want. To not have theIr skin color determine how the police treat them. You have wifffully chosen to pretend there is no difference because you can’t be bothered to care.

Thank you.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Are you speaking for them? As a monolithic ( "the blacks") or as made up of individuals? As a white person I can only repeat and reflect on what they tell me in essays and articles through online voices because to assume I know would be another representation of white racism.

please don't bother me with what these others say
I am only interested in what you think and why