Dangerous Rape Myths

1PeaceMaker

There is a need on this forum to dispel some dangerous rape myths and put an end to the confusion. Why? Because with hundreds of posters here - some with religious ideas that appear to support certain types of rapists - these rape myths might lead some men to think that the rapes being committed are not as harmful as they really are.

Rape has nothing to do with love or desire, it's a species of murder and leaves a heavy path of destruction in it's wake.

... plain rape cannot kill an adult woman.

That is a dangerous assumption because it takes no real life variables into account. Does this woman have an invisible immune-system or heart problem? Does she have diabetes or AIDS?

All rape involves two microbiomes becoming cross-contaminated and some degree of injury or abrasion, even if only microscopic - but enough to allow the entry of life -threatening pathogens.

And it's not as if a rapist will be made to consider if he just handled money or filthy hand rails before attacking his victim.

Woman were created to be penetrated by a man.

Not all women are universally designed for all men. Small women (small is a term relating to internal invisible factors) shouldn't be set upon and forced by large men (large is also not something that can be determined exclusively by height or weight). But beyond the attack and the blunt force damage - even the children that are produced by that rape, being larger than she is designed to carry, could be a threat to her well being during pregnancy and birth, never mind the other potentials for damage from a larger person in the attack.
Women are created to be loved and gently cared for, not forced. Women must respond with arousal physically to avoid certain types of damage, as well.

Frigidity is not physically healthy, and raped is the most frigid way to be in an encounter. The likelihood for infections will go up dramatically. The pain will be also potentially very difficult to put up with.

Some women (for very practical medical reasons) can't even have relations with a gentle partner in the best conditions due to pain issues, and those women will be all the more traumatized by rape.

A rapist cannot see this on the outside. All he might see is a pretty young women, not realizing she's a mess elsewhere out of view.

Woman are even made to be penetrated by a man while pregnant.

So many times that is not true! Many couples must abstain for the sake of the unborn child. The point of avoiding contact is because of vulnerability to infection some pregnancies have, or because disturbing an irritable uterus could result in miscarriage, stillbirth or premature labor.

I understand perfectly the mental effects of rape. It's much worse for children than for adult women, and it most certainly is not as bad as torture or death....or any number of other horrible things.

While I'm sure that rape would be in some ways scarier and more damaging for children, in other ways it could be much scarier for a woman who knows there is a good chance she will be dead when he is done. She also may have health conditions making rape more risky than for a healthy child. (I hate the comparison for so many reasons - but I can't dispel the myth without addressing it!) That's not something a rapist can determine or excuse himself with. And rape apologists should refrain from misinforming rapists.

And frankly, rape is torture to anyone and feels like the threat of death. It can cause life altering PTSD, which can actually grow over time when compounded with other traumatic events.

Telling people to suck it up and move on is actually going to be potentially very mentally damaging, especially if you put the blame on them at the same time for what happened. In any way.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well said, PM1. These are the facts.

Thank you for your attempt to bring decency and humanity into a discussion that should be centered on the victims of one of the most horrific experiences another human beings could ever have to deal with.

:thumb:

1PeaceMaker

Thank you, Rusha.

With the social issues now at play everywhere regarding the invading rape cultures and the outdated western rape mentalities still hanging on, we have plenty of work left to do, it seems.

The futures of our daughters are at stake.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you, Rusha.

With the cultural issues now at play everywhere regarding the invading rape cultures and the outdated western rape mentalities still hanging on, we have plenty of work left to do, it seems.

The futures of our daughters are at stake.

Indeed ... and our sons as well.

IMO, part of the problem is the different expectations that boys are raised with as compared to girls.

One side receives a high five for sleeping around while the other a derogatory label. The message to both should be ... respect is earned based on character, not on gender.

Also, it is acceptable and even encouraged for men to be aggressive and outspoken ... not so much for women. IMO, this aggression has taken on a life of it's own ... in certain cases, an ugly life.

A woman is expected to be compliant ... saying "no" could be seen as aggressive ... and that cannot be allowed.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is a good article describing "rape myths":

http://www.thehealingplace.info/what-are-rape-myths/

From the article:

Basically, rape myths are beliefs that women are somehow responsible for their victimization and relieve the perpetrator from responsibility. Burt (1980) defined rape myths as “prejudicial, stereotyped, or false beliefs about rape, rape victims, and rapists” . Those who endorse rape myths are likely to say things like, “she should not have dressed like a whore” or “she should not have been drinking so much.” “Myths” that women are “asking for it” or are actually sexually aroused by force are common in US culture. The movie classic Gone with the Wind depicts Scarlet O’Hara saying “No, no, no…” then swoons to Rhett Butler’s sexual advances. The “no means maybe” mentality confuses both genders, and perpetuates rape myths. Research shows that endorsement/acceptance of the notion that women are responsible for rape contributes to the prevalence of rape .

1PeaceMaker

IMO, part of the problem is the different expectations that boys are raised with as compared to girls.

I don't know. I think it's possible to raise boys with different expectations but not get rapists out of it. It just depends. I like the idea of raising boys and girls to believe that what counts is on the inside and that's the same for boys and girls.

But boys have different responsibilities, and their upbringing can reflect that. They should be held to a civilized standard, though, and bullying isn't a part of that.

I'm pretty sensitive to my boys' social habits. Mainly because they are expected to be more circumspect. People are intimidated by male aggression more easily, which is understandable.

With great power comes great responsibility. Males certainly need to be responsible for their behavior to reflect the power their gender gives them.

One side receives a high five for sleeping around while the other a derogatory label. The message to both should be ... respect is earned based on character, not on gender.

I don't know I've ever seen that exact idea played out around me - but I've heard about it from an older generation.

Also, it is acceptable and even encouraged for men to be aggressive and outspoken ... not so much for women. IMO, this aggression has taken on a life of it's own ... in certain cases, an ugly life.

From my perspective, it's healthy for alpha males to be assertive and outspoken and be able to be aggressive about the right things in the right time (does not include a bully mentality). Females tend towards passiveness, and I'm okay with that, too. I won't try to bend my children's nature but I think some things are just naturally present.

A woman is expected to be compliant ... saying "no" could be seen as aggressive ... and that cannot be allowed.

Again, this is not something I have personal experience with. I tend to hear about this from some Islamic cultures in modern times, but haven't personally seen this from a Western family.

I tend to confront my girls more easily over their saying no, but I tend to enforce or incentivize compliance from my boys with a more serious attitude.

1PeaceMaker

First of all, I really appreciate what you are saying here, because that's surely been a part of the problem for some families, my lack of personal confirming experiences notwithstanding.

But I also wanted to point out that I didn't get that impression about the peers I grew up with (born late 70's-80's) at the time.

There was a gang of kids that was semi-friendly towards me and would invite me to hang out with them after school. They seemed pretty typical for the demographics of our public school. In fact, they included bullies and imps as well as a few who were more average and friendly, sociable types.

Long story short, the boys and girls who were bad kids were all pretty mean and aggressive - in one household, it was children of militant atheists, two sisters nearly the same age, and in another a split-faith home, where the father was a former bad-boy turned diabetic amputee and the mom was a Pentecostal soccer-mom type - a busy nurse in training, where the parents seemed to be ineffective. The father encouraged his boy to be shallow and let him get throwing stars, numbchucks, etc. Stuff for bad boys to play with while dreaming of crimes.

Well those bully ring leaders (the girls seemed like they were just as much perps that day) got an insane idea one day. They led a team to trick me and stretch me out like a trampoline, strip me naked in the bad-boy's yard. Before they could finish, they were actually stopped by a larger, brawny new boy on the block. He also made them give me back the clothes they had removed. I was later told the plan supposedly was going to be making me run home naked. I have no idea if that was the truth of the plan; they constantly lied to me. Usually it was my big sister who would stick around to keep me safe, knowing the trouble some of them liked to cook up, but she wasn't there that day.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
First of all, I really appreciate what you are saying here, because that's surely been a part of the problem for some families, my lack of personal confirming experiences notwithstanding.

But I also wanted to point out that I didn't get that impression about the peers I grew up with (born late 70's-80's) at the time.

There was a gang of kids that was semi-friendly towards me and would invite me to hang out with them after school. They seemed pretty typical for the demographics of our public school. In fact, they included bullies and imps as well as a few who were more average and friendly, sociable types.

Long story short, the boys and girls who were bad kids were all pretty mean and aggressive - in one household, it was children of militant atheists, two sisters nearly the same age, and in another a split-faith home, where the father was a former bad-boy turned diabetic amputee and the mom was a Pentecostal soccer-mom type - a busy nurse in training, where the parents seemed to be ineffective. The father encouraged his boy to be shallow and let him get throwing stars, numbchucks, etc. Stuff for bad boys to play with while dreaming of crimes.

Well those bully ring leaders (the girls seemed like they were just as much perps that day) got an insane idea one day. They led a team to trick me and stretch me out like a trampoline, strip me naked in the bad-boy's yard. Before they could finish, they were actually stopped by a larger, brawny new boy on the block. He also made them give me back the clothes they had removed. I was later told the plan supposedly was going to be making me run home naked. I have no idea if that was the truth of the plan; they constantly lied to me. Usually it was my big sister who would stick around to keep me safe, knowing the trouble some of them liked to cook up, but she wasn't there that day.

Wow, THAT is really horrible. I never went thru anything like that while I was in school, even during the time I was in public school (from K - 6th grade). My older sister did have a problem when she she was attending public high school, however, it was racially motivated. For the short time my children attended public schools, they never went experienced anything like that either.

The parents of those bullies should have slapped the living snot out of those brats to the extent that they wouldn't bother you or anyone else again.

It's great to have a big sister, isn't it?

1PeaceMaker

Wow, THAT is really horrible. I never went thru anything like that while I was in school, even during the time I was in public school (from K - 6th grade). My older sister did have a problem when she she was attending public high school, however, it was racially motivated. For the short time my children attended public schools, they never went experienced anything like that either.

The parents of those bullies should have slapped the living snot out of those brats to the extent that they wouldn't bother you or anyone else again.

It's great to have a big sister, isn't it?

Indeed! They called her scary Sherri. LOL She was 7 years older than me, the oldest of the lot of them.