Old style shaving

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This:

91RZ1sxR6fL._SY355_.jpg

I tried that.

No matter how hard I tried, I bled every time I shaved.

So, I'm back to the Gillette Mach 3 Turbo.

I wish the single blade would have worked, it's so much cheaper. Even at Walmart, a pack of 10 Mach 3 cartridges with tax is about $30.00

Lon

Gillette double blade Costco
After losing the baby fat a couple years back, my beard started getting tougher.

It took about a hundred shaves to get it down to a science.
I use the Japanese feather because the blades are disposable and I can't sharpen a regular blade to the same surgically sharp edge.

You should use one it's good for climate change son!
Okay, I ordered a straight, will start trying to keep it sharp.
I also ordered the double blade. I'll keep you all posted after it all gets here.

Good input, thanks.

Lon

Of ZZ Top's three members, the guy without a beard is Frank Beard.
Spoiler

3b6c74dc898e1224ca24792a1cc4ee7f_400x400.jpeg
My (long) beard story:
In 1987, I was asked to be a teacher in Alaska. I had a baby-face so the principal asked if I wouldn't mind growing a beard. It took a very long time, probably due to native American blood or something. Anyway, after 6 months, I had a beard that was starting to look respectable. 6 months after that it was about 6 inches or so. I finally 'looked' old enough to be teaching High School, and not a high schooler myself.

Interlude: My housemate (pastor's son) was notorious for not getting wood in from the below freezing and stacking up wood. He'd put gasoline on the wood to get it going when he did that.

Back to story: I'd never watched him do it, but when he left for the weekend snowmobiling or some such, he had left the woodbin empty.
I had no idea how to light the fire, but I refilled the woodbin and refilled the stove and grabbed a disposable cup and poured gasoline on the frozen logs.

Well, I'd never seen him do it, but I reached in with a match and a great ball of fire blew out of the woodstove and suddenly my whole head was on fire. I heard a fireman screaming "STOP DROP AND ROLL!!!" (it was from the time the fire department visited my elementary school when I was in the third grade). I flopped awkwardly all over the floor, and thankfully, it did knock the fire out. There on the floor were all these gorilla prints of my face where I suppose my hair and beard once were.

I went and washed my face in cold water, it was like a terrible sunburn, but that was the worst of it. I splashed cold water all over and looked up in the mirror. Half my hair was gone. One side/half of my beard was gone, but worse, I had no eyebrows. I looked down and there the singed things were floating in the sink.

It hurt, but I shaved and then went into town and got my haircut (30 miles away). I looked okay, but a guy without eyebrows was about the last thing I ever wanted to look like. I went into a ski shop in the small strip mall next to the barber shop and found a pair of glasses with a bar across them that semi-hid my missing eyebrows.

When the pastor's son came home, he just stood in the doorway with a strange look on his face, staring at me. I grew uncomfortable.... "I shaved!"

"Nope," he said, "that ain't it," and he kept staring.

"I had a haircut!"

"No, that ain't it either." .....

"For crying out loud! I burnt my eyebrows off!"

"That's it!"

When I told him what I had done, he said, "you aren't supposed to light gasoline. It's explosive!" (no kidding).

"How do you do it then?"

"I light a ball of paper and toss it in from a safe distance."

:Z

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
there is something in the bible about this
and
it like much of the rest
is
being misinterpreted

it is okay to trim your hair
but
don't change your hair line
and
that rules out shaving

musterion

This:

91RZ1sxR6fL._SY355_.jpg

I don't use it every day, though. I only use it when I've skipped a day or more of shaving. It works great on 2 or more days of growth.

I have one. It's a rebranded Weishi that can be got by itself at Sally Beauty and other hair supply places for $12. Not a bad shaver at all, just not the same quality of the Gillette Super Speeds it clones.

musterion

I've rarely seen an injector. What are those like, close shave?

Yes, very close but injector blades stopped being made in the US a couple years ago. That's why you now don't see them in stores the way you did....not U.S. made ones anyway. All that's available now (apart fron online) are yellow carded Schick blades that are made in China, but it is an excellent blade. They cost around $7 for seven but you can get some decent life out of injectors. There's also no U.S. made DE blades anymore, that I know of.

As for the injector razor itself, there are some new ones being made but they're very high end. You really can't go wrong going with most vintage Schick or Pal brand injectors. You can find them in antique shops and on eBay for peanuts.

Does brand matter, Musterion? Or are they all Gillette?

Gillette pretty much ruled the roost when it came to double edge razors because they invented the double edged blade back in the early 1900s. They did get tons of competition from dozens of knockoff companies through the years, and almost none of those razors are junk, either. Literally hundreds to find today. But for me, Gillette mastered the double edge razor, especially up in the fifties and sixties when they invented the adjustable. That allows you to use different types of blades that are still available, but with different settings that makes for better shaves depending on the blade (stainless vs carbon steel; ultrasharp vs moderately sharp, etc).

Double edge razors are still being made as well, some of which are also very expensive but very high quality. I don't own any of those, can't afford it and my old Gillettes work just fine.

But there's about a hundred different brands of double edge razor blade being made right now worldwide and almost every one of them is excellent. If I can't find old stock Gillette stainless steel blades, which in my opinion were the best ever, there's several that I do use which are very very good, and they're made in Russia, Egypt, Israel, a whole lot of places.

There's also single edge razors, which went from the teens up through the eighties, and so-so blades for those are still sold at drugstores. That's a really efficient type of shaving... basically a bigger form of injector but probably the cheapest way to go in the long run.

While I do have a can of foam, Arctic Chill, there are a lot of readily available soaps and creams out there that greatly improve the shave. I used to didn't believe that until I was asked to try it out for myself.

I will say again that any of the above, if you know what you're looking for and learn how to use them, will save money over almost any cartridge razor you can buy today and will give just as good of a result. That's the only reason I use them, though I admit the nostalgia element appeals to me as well. It's yet another uniquely American technology that we've lost.

Reactions: Lon

musterion

I tried that.

No matter how hard I tried, I bled every time I shaved.

So, I'm back to the Gillette Mach 3 Turbo.

I wish the single blade would have worked, it's so much cheaper. Even at Walmart, a pack of 10 Mach 3 cartridges with tax is about $30.00

It will work. The trick is unlearning the techniques and muscle memory you use with plastic cartridge razors, and relearning to hold the right angle and light pressure with these things. Once you get that down, and it doesn't take long, you will never nick yourself unless you get really careless.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My (long) beard story:
In 1987, I was asked to be a teacher in Alaska.

I once burned my eyebrows off lighting a gas grill when I was about 10 years old. Luckily it was during the summer, and I didn't have to go to school.

You're lucky you didn't end up in the hospital with serious burns.

Anyways, I was in Alaska about three months ago. I did notice most of the men had beards.

Then I did non-shave-November two months ago. It was the first time I ever went more than a week without shaving.

At the end of the month, I had a decent little beard, but I hated it.

It's too messy to eat things like Buffalo chicken wings, and if you have to blow your nose, pieces of Kleenex stick to your beard. (I also had no idea my beard would have so much gray hair)

I was so happy to shave on December 1st

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
I'm back to the Gillette Mach 3 Turbo.

If cost is no obstacle, you can shave with a Zafirro. It has a sapphire blade that is designed to last up to a year or more and the handle is virtually indestructible under normal circumstances. Of course, it's the most expensive razor I know of on the market.

PureX

My granddad used an electric shaver for as long as I can remember, and I'm not a young man, myself. So 'old' is somewhat relative, here, I guess.

My dad used what was called a "safety razor" all his life, but he was a very fussy man about his appearance. So the extra time it took was not unwarranted as far as he was concerned. He could take as long to comb his hair as it took him to shave. The "wave" had to be just right!

I used to use the disposable multi-blades until they just got stupidly expensive, and I switched to an electric shaver. Even those aren't cheap, as the heads still have to be replaced a couple times a year, at $20 each. But it's still far less expensive than buying the "octo-tripple ultra-rotating, super-swiveling" disposable blade sets at $5 each. Which last for about 3 shaves.

I've never tried a strait razor, and never will. I think that requires a skill set that men no longer possess. And I'm too old to learn. The electric shavers are OK, not too expensive, and the lessor or several evils. So I'll stick with them. Had I ever gotten used to a safety razor, that would probably be a good inexpensive alternative, so long as we can still buy the blades.