Merry Christmas - 2015

Nazaroo

yay!

Merry Christmas to all my friends and God-seekers on TOL!

bethlehem+23.jpg

http://www.catholictradition.org/Children/men-goodwill.htm

You hear it often enough in songs, read it even more often on Christmas cards and hear it said every Christmas:

"Peace on earth and good will to men!"

The sentiment sounds good at first, but if you think about it, the spirit is Masonic, and a distortion of the actual verse in St. Luke. I am not certain how this all began, the misquotation of St. Luke and thus a false notion of peace. I do know for certain that a variation of this misadventure appears in an old poem; perhaps the poet needed a line to rhyme so he turned the correct phrase around. Maybe he had nothing to do with the sorry outcome. But here it is, heresy promulgated by our celebratory culture. Let us turn to St. Luke, Chapter 2 and see what it is the Angel announces:

A Continuation of the Gospel of St. Luke, Chapter 2:1-14

AT THAT time, there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that the whole world should be enrolled. This enrolling was first made by Cyrinus, the governor of Syria. And all went to be enrolled, everyone into his own city. And Joseph also went up from: Galilee out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and family of David, to be enrolled with Mary his espoused wife, who was with child. And it came to pass, that when they were there, her days were accomplished, that she should be delivered. And she brought forth her first-born Son, and wrapped Him up in swaddling clothes, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. And there were in the same country shepherds watching, and keeping the night watches over their flock. And behold an Angel of the Lord stood by them, and the brightness of God shone round about them, and they feared with a great fear. And the Angel said to them: Fear not; for behold I bring you good tidings of great joy, that shall be to all the people; for this day is born to you a Saviour, Who is Christ the Lord, in the city of David. And this shall be a sign unto you: You shall find the infant wrapped in swaddling clothes, and laid in a manger. And suddenly there was with the Angel a multitude of the heavenly army, praising God, and saying: Glory to God in the highest and on earth, peace to men of good will.

This makes all the difference in the world, do you not agree? For how can there be real peace among men who are not of good will? This is not to say we wish vengeance, for that alone belongs to God, only that we do not wish them felicity to advance in their evil-doing, and that it matters what we believe and what we do and why we do it.