Observations Great and Small

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, this won't be like the old thread or Quixote's. I thought it might be interesting to explore that old title of mine in a different light. The best way to give a sense of it is to begin.

Did you know that Thomas Jefferson didn't literally pen the Declaration of Independence? It's true. Timothy Matlack did the literal writing. He was a scribe, the original font choice before technology allowed us to produce what only a few skilled hands managed beautifully.

They say that cursive writing is dying now, not even taught in many schools, that the technological age is driving it out. I'm not sure it's that important, but I can't help thinking that if that comes to pass we'll have lost something of value, an eloquence of sorts, a personal, human expression, something akin to art that attached itself to the ordinary moments of life and preserved the extraordinary with them in a less mechanistic and impersonal fashion.

But maybe that's appropriate. Maybe we live in more impersonal, mechanistic and less extraordinary times.

Or maybe most people have bad penmanship, own a computer and good riddance to deciphering bad rubbish.

It's a quandary. :)

Reactions: Lon

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
No, this won't be like the old thread or Quixote's.

that sounds awfully familiar :think:

OP from Quixotes:
town said:
Come in. Some of you will be finding this via the breadcrumb link left in Observations. It's natural to wonder if this is going to be the same thread under a new address. I hope not. What I mean is that I have a somewhat different vision for this one.

eta: be sure to visit mine! :banana:

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
According to Gallup, conservative Americans continue to outnumber both liberals and the moderates. It's 38% conservative to 24% liberal, with the 14% gap being the smallest since Gallup started tracking it in 1992.

In 1992 moderates claimed the largest stake in the body politic, holding 43% of the electorate, while conservatives held 35% and liberals 17%.

Now it's conservatives at 38%, moderates at 34% and liberals at 24%. The way I read this is that moderates are steadily giving up on conservatism and are siding with the left. This, it seems to me, is bad news for conservatism. If it continues as as a trend the gains made since 92 will be overwhelmed by the two to one defection of the middle to the left.

So, if you're a conservative I'd argue it's time to rebuild a once thriving moderate base within your constituency. The left is gaining on you without it.

ok doser

Prince Edward Island, one of Canada's Maritime Provinces, is a leading producer and exporter of potatoes.

The PEI Potato Blossom Festival is gearing up for another exciting year. The dates for this years Festival have been confirmed for July 11th, 2015- July 19th, 2015..

The festival is hosted by the community of O'Leary, PEI which also boasts the PEI Potato Museum!

pei-potato-museum.jpg

bybee

According to Gallup, conservative Americans continue to outnumber both liberals and the moderates. It's 38% conservative to 24% liberal, with the 14% gap being the smallest since Gallup started tracking it in 1992.

In 1992 moderates claimed the largest stake in the body politic, holding 43% of the electorate, while conservatives held 35% and liberals 17%.

Now it's conservatives at 38%, moderates at 34% and liberals at 24%. The way I read this is that moderates are steadily giving up on conservatism and are siding with the left. This, it seems to me, is bad news for conservatism. If it continues as as a trend the gains made since 92 will be overwhelmed by the two to one defection of the middle to the left.

So, if you're a conservative I'd argue it's time to rebuild a once thriving moderate base within your constituency. The left is gaining on you without it.

It doesn't seem to matter. Whoever we elect they turn into liberals with sticky fingers. I am disgusted with the whole process.

Reactions: Lon

Quetzal

It doesn't seem to matter. Whoever we elect they turn into liberals with sticky fingers. I am disgusted with the whole process.
I don't know about that. What I do know, is that the president is very much at the mercy of Congress. Doesn't matter if they are a Repub or Libbie, they can't do much with a divided Congress.

Quetzal

Did you know...

The shortest war on record was fought between Zanzibar and England in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.

alwight

I live on the Isle of Wight UK which was known by the Romans as Vectis.
A few years ago I happened to be driving through Virginia VA and I stopped for a break when I realised that I was in a place called The Isle of Wight which isn't even an Island. :liberals:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I live on the Isle of Wight UK which was known by the Romans as Vectis.
A few years ago I happened to be driving through Virginia VA and I stopped for a break when I realised that I was in a place called The Isle of Wight which isn't even an Island. :liberals:
That's nothing. I once drove to Athens from here. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I gather you could drive to London too TH but I would need a ferry. :)
Now you've done it. It's only a matter of time before aCW shows up. :plain:

Anyway, Birmingham isn't far from here, but I'd have to drive to Kentucky to reach London.

ok doser

I gather you could drive to London too TH but I would need a ferry. :)

been through london ontario a few times - halfway between toronto and windsor

and we have a mexico, ny south of here

directly north of it is texas

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hey, look. My stalker has more posts in here than I do. :shocked:

Who would have figured that?

Okay, okay, you can put your hands down. :eek: