"Deserve? Earn? Consequence?

bybee

1. Deserve: Show qualities or conduct worthy of reward or
punishment.
2. Earn: Obtain in return for labor or services; incur, as a reproach...
3. Consequence: The result or effect of an action or condition.

No one deserves to be assaulted.
When we freely engage in a labor or service we expect to earn a return for that labor or service. This is a mutual agreement. If one party defaults he/she may incur a reproach either civilly or legally.
A consequence may be described as a "Cause/Effect" situation?
The problem of living in society and attempting to utilize public places of entertainment as well as private places of entertainment is that we each have our own ideas of proper decorum.
As a young married couple we heard of people playing "Keys" and we were aghast at such a thing. Not for us nor would we associate with people who engaged in such things.
As a young single woman I attended dances and parties bent on having a good time. I once dated a school mate who behaved rather badly. I did not in any way deserve or earn such behavior. It was a consequence of his behavior, not mine!
People who do not keep themselves in control will suffer the consequences of their actions as will their victims.
A caveat: I was always careful where I put myself. I recommend it to all.

Truster

''There is no peace unto the wicked saith my Elohim''.

The Eternal Almighty will use all at His disposal to insure this.

bybee

Don't we deserve another thread?

It is good to get the thoughts of others on such a topic. I do believe that we are all under a moral obligation to serve our Lord with all of our heart, mind, body and soul.
My Bible reading this morning was on "Prayer". It was an admonition to "Listen".

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No one deserves to be assaulted.

To the principle of the argument about what one can expect through behavior of some sort;

52 But Jesus said to him, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
1. Deserve: Show qualities or conduct worthy of reward or
punishment.
2. Earn: Obtain in return for labor or services; incur, as a reproach...
3. Consequence: The result or effect of an action or condition.

the title suggests a good theological discussion

hopefully we will not get what we deserve
all we can earn is someone's trust
we cannot avoid the consequences of our actions

mercy is
what we hope for
what we need
what we pray for

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
''There is no peace unto the wicked saith my Elohim''.

The Eternal Almighty will use all at His disposal to insure this.

Bah!...Sez you Eliphaz...

Answer this then:

“Why do the wicked still live, continue on, also become very powerful? “Their descendants are established with them in their sight, and their offspring before their eyes.
Their houses are safe from fear, and the rod of God is not on them. “His ox mates without fail; his cow calves and does not abort. “They send forth their little ones like the flock, and their children skip about. “They sing to the timbrel and harp And rejoice at the sound of the flute. “They spend their days in prosperity, And suddenly they go down to Sheol. “They say to God, ‘Depart from us! We do not even desire the knowledge of Your ways.‘Who is the Almighty, that we should serve Him, And what would we gain if we entreat Him?’ “Behold, their prosperity is not in their hand; the counsel of the wicked is far from me.

“How often is the lamp of the wicked put out, Or does their calamity fall on them? Does God apportion destruction in His anger? “Are they as straw before the wind, And like chaff which the storm carries away? “You say, ‘God stores away a man’s iniquity for his sons.’ Let God repay him so that he may know it. “Let his own eyes see his decay, And let him drink of the wrath of the Almighty. “For what does he care for his household after him, When the number of his months is cut off?

“Can anyone teach God knowledge, In that He judges those on high? “One dies in his full strength, Being wholly at ease and satisfied; His sides are filled out with fat, And the marrow of his bones is moist, While another dies with a bitter soul, Never even tasting anything good. “Together they lie down in the dust, And worms cover them.

Truster

It is good to get the thoughts of others on such a topic. I do believe that we are all under a moral obligation to serve our Lord with all of our heart, mind, body and soul.
My Bible reading this morning was on "Prayer". It was an admonition to "Listen".

It's not what we think, say or do that holds any importance. It's the intention behind the thought that leads to the words or the actions that counts. Paul has much to say about this in Romans.

OCTOBER23

Ephesians 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that

ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

Colossians 1:10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing,

being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

1 Thessalonians 2:12 That ye would walk worthy of God,

who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.

2 Thessalonians 1:5 Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God

that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

2 Thessalonians 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God

would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure

of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:

1 Timothy 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy

of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

1 Timothy 5:18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox

that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

Revelation 3:4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis

which have not defiled their garments;

and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

bybee

Ephesians 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that

ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

Colossians 1:10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing,

being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

1 Thessalonians 2:12 That ye would walk worthy of God,

who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.

2 Thessalonians 1:5 Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God

that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

2 Thessalonians 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God

would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure

of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:

1 Timothy 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy

of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

1 Timothy 5:18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox

that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

Revelation 3:4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis

which have not defiled their garments;

and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

Amen!

bybee

To the principle of the argument about what one can expect through behavior of some sort;

52 But Jesus said to him, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

Indeed! I am, however, addressing, in part, the behavior of naive young persons who find themselves in potentially harms way through lack of experience of the things of this world.
My parents were very strict with me and I thank them to this day. I'm sure the standards which they implanted in me have saved me from many potentially bad situations.
But some are foolishly rebellious. I believe that love and nurture is the way to treat those who have behaved foolishly and suffered because of it.
As I have stated before, two of my five children are addicts. And while my relationship with them is different from that of my other three children, still, I love them so much and come to their aid when they need me.
Children need what both parents provide.
God bless you Nick. I wish you and yours a very Blessed Christmas...and a Merry Christmas too!