New Study Contradicts Religious Bias

Lon

Then simply prove God's existence to the entirety of humanity -- beyond subjective whimsy....and settle the matter once and for all. :idunno:
God can easily do that for you. It is on an individual basis. The question is, did you ask Him and did you do so on His terms?
James 4:10 2 Chronicles 7:14

The evening is far spent Romans 13:12

quip

BANNED
Banned
God can easily do that for you. It is on an individual basis. The question is, did you ask Him and did you do so on His terms?
James 4:10 2 Chronicles 7:14

The evening is far spent Romans 13:12

You must presuppose His terms before knowing Him?! :chuckle:

Ever see a silly dog chase it's own tail Lon?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Do you believe that Christians can be, and/or are biased?

If so, about what, generally?
All human beings have a judgmental, evaluating mind. Members of ANY of the world’s faith are biased in one degree or another.

Christians can always fall back on Jesus who tried to help us become aware of the logs in our own eyes before we deem to judge our brothers and sisters...

Lon

You must presuppose His terms before knowing Him?! :chuckle:

Ever see a silly dog chase it's own tail Lon?
There you go, trample pearls. I expect it of you. You will continue to avoid Him at all costs. That's not funny. It is your arrogance and pride. You are made by a being and don't care that your breath is sustained and drawn by His existence Colossians 1:16-18 Go ahead and embrace atheism the whole way. It means "no God" even if He exists.

quip

BANNED
Banned
There you go, trample pearls. I expect it of you. You will continue to avoid Him at all costs. That's not funny. It is your arrogance and pride. You are made by a being and don't care that your breath is sustained and drawn by His existence Colossians 1:16-18 Go ahead and embrace atheism the whole way. It means "no God" even if He exists.

Same tired homily, different day.

I've no need to exert any effort in avoiding that which perpetually avoids me (mankind). There is simply no rational, empirical nor demonstrably apparent evidence to believe in your specific god Lon.

Even if you could offer a sound abstract argument appealing to the "proof" of some extant generic god...you've absolutely no evidence in support of the idea that this god is anywhere near the notion of the sublime Christian variety (out of literally thousands). You simply see the world through the lens you were culturally inculcated to see through, while expecting others to accept your folly lest they fall to the proprietary sin of pride and arrogance....which aptly demonstrates pride and arrogance in it's own fashion.

All you have is circular reasoning and appeals to guilt (God loves/created/sustains you.), shame (Pride, arrogance), fear (Wrath of God/damnation) and/or pity (Jesus died for you).

Which one(s) bought you Lon?

Last edited:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
...It went back to the OP, concerning whether Christians are authoritarian parents. I think that is missing the mark. God is an authoritarian as Author, Creator, and Sustainer of all men. For me, the end-result of what is proven to be a more altruistic person, overshadows these kinds of studies and necessarily calls them into question, if not outright dismissing them without a hearing. There is no way their end statements that secular upbringing produces a more altruistic citizen. At the end of the day, following the real altruistic sacrifices and $ belies what cannot but be faulty summations from their shoddy or well done research. That is, even if there is a shred of evidentiary there, their conclusions must necessarily be wrong.

The God of Jesus was not authoritarian, jealous or a being who demanded blood sacrifice.

Jesus's actual teachings were parabolic and he also taught by his actions and his short, memorable proverbs. All of his mission was characterized by a total overturning of the default world of conventional wisdom.

The head of the conventional household in the first century was the oldest patriarch whose rule was authoritarian and obedience-based.
He ruled capriciously and decided who would survive and who would not.

Jesus preached this fact in his parables as well as his actions and behavior toward others.

In my view, anyway.

Lon

Same tired homily, different day.

I've no need to exert any effort in avoiding that which perpetually avoids me (mankind). There is simply no rational, empirical nor demonstrably apparent evidence to believe in your specific god Lon.
Incorrect. Your 'sentence' against the notion is evidence contra-wise, especially for a more contemplative Buddhist, if such you be.

'Tired homily' isn't terrifically inviting though. Trampling isn't exactly my favorite thing. I hope you see a bit of the genuine in this. It is a rare pause for me on TOL.
Even if you could offer a sound abstract argument appealing to the "proof" of some extant generic god...you've absolutely no evidence in support of the idea that this god is anywhere near the notion of the sublime Christian variety (out of literally thousands).
Again, His terms. Understand this: if there is a God, you are His creation and He the Creator. Something hinders interaction, that, I think must necessarily be a given as it is what you seek in amongst other empirical truths. So, the first thing that I believe must logically be true, is that He being the more powerful, would have to make first contact. Question: if God, does He get to dictate those terms? What if those terms are necessary for the very thing that separates in the first place?

You simply see the world through the lens you were culturally inculcated to see through, while expecting others to accept your folly lest they fall to the proprietary sin of pride and arrogance....which aptly demonstrates pride and arrogance in it's own fashion.
Sometimes, and I have to be corrected, but your blanket statement goes too far. I'd have been a lot more like you before Christianity. I didn't always understand Him.

All you have is circular reasoning and appeals to guilt (God loves/created/sustains you.), shame (Pride, arrogance), fear (Wrath of God/damnation) and/or pity (Jesus died for you).
ALL truth is circular to one who doesn't accept it and some truth must be experienced to grasp, however, you have a promise from God just as I did/do. It is a guarantee, that He will be found by you, if you seek Him. You cannot get more empirical than that. My relationship with my parents included all those things, btw.
Which one(s) bought you Lon?
Which one walked the earth? Which one promised, if I looked without being haughty, that I would surely find Him? Deuteronomy 4:29 I believe what separates Christians from non, is a desire to find God, on His terms.

PureX

All human beings have a judgmental, evaluating mind. Members of ANY of the world’s faith are biased in one degree or another.

Christians can always fall back on Jesus who tried to help us become aware of the logs in our own eyes before we deem to judge our brothers and sisters...
I asked the questions …

Do you believe that Christians can be, and/or are biased?

If so, about what, generally?
… because it appears to me that most of the Christians on TOL do not believe that "true Christians" are ever wrong about anything. Or, they will say they can be wrong, but never 'this time'. It seems to me that the disease of self-righteousness has become part-and-parcel of religious Christianity, at least in the more extremist/fundamentalist expressions that we see here on TOL. And this particular thread subject has brought this out, because the study exposes a bias that these self-righteously obsessed Christians just cannot admit to having.

Even though we should all understand that we are are biased, both by, and in favor of our own ideological paradigms.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... it appears to me that most of the Christians on TOL do not believe that "true Christians" are ever wrong about anything.

it only "appears" that way to you because you're looking for it and refusing to listen to what's being told to you

Or, they will say they can be wrong, but never 'this time'.

cite?

It seems to me that the disease of self-righteousness has become part-and-parcel of religious Christianity, at least in the more extremist/fundamentalist expressions that we see here on TOL.

of course it seems that way to you, because you come with this preconceived belief and look for affirmation and ignore anything that might shake that belief

Even though we should all understand that we are are biased, both by, and in favor of our own ideological paradigms.

except for you, right? :darwinsm: