Life is fragile.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
    And don't symptoms of that usually surface before the mid teens? I read somewhere...I think it was on the Mayo Clinic website, that schoolyard bullies have much higher incidences of that particular disorder.

were you bullied as a child?

or did you bully others?

Comment

• Originally posted by ok doser View Post
      were you bullied as a child?
      No. But then, we didn't have successful bullies in my school. People didn't put up with it.The only time I remember seeing anyone try that sort of thing was after school once. Don't recall who either of the kids were, but I remember my brother seeing it and literally picking the bully off of the ground by his shirt and correcting the behavior. My brother was a captain of the defense on our football team. A very good, very talented bunch. Those guys weren't having it and that attitude permeated the school.

or did you bully others?
      Also no. I think it's interesting (or symptomatic) that you'd think that is the range of options.
      You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Comment

No.

Also no.

that's ok - most kids who were bullied or who acted as bullies are uncomfortable talking about it

and they often create fantasy scenarios that they convince themselves are real, where some big strong guy speaks up for the little guy

Originally posted by town
        I think it's interesting (or symptomatic) that you'd think that is the range of options.
        well, that's your assumption

and it's very revealing

Comment

And don't symptoms of that usually surface before the mid teens? I read somewhere...I think it was on the Mayo Clinic website, that schoolyard bullies have much higher incidences of that particular disorder.
          To be diagnosed the individual has to be 18, but the the personality traits and impairments have to be stable across time and consistent across situations, so it's reasonable to see a history of adolescent conduct disorder.

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

Comment

• Originally posted by ok doser View Post

and it's very revealing
            What's revealing is what you're doing in this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
              What's revealing is what you're doing in this thread.
              procrastinating?

Comment

...I read somewhere...I think it was on the Mayo Clinic website, that schoolyard bullies have much higher incidences of that particular disorder.
                Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
                To be diagnosed the individual has to be 18, but the the personality traits and impairments have to be stable across time and consistent across situations, so it's reasonable to see a history of adolescent conduct disorder.
                So then...hold the Mayo then.

Pro-Life

Comment

So then...hold the Mayo then.
                  The DSM is pretty specific and categorical in nature (some would like to see it be more dimensional), so if you look at conduct disorder in adolescents you'll find the criteria I think you have in mind. Someone with a conduct disorder under the age of 18 whose condition isn't resolved or controlled could go on to be diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder (commonly known as sociopathy or psychopathy) after age 18.

Regardless of terminology, anyone who finds pleasure in the suffering of living creatures is in desperate need of help.

Comment

• Wanted to share this because it makes me smile...according to a recent article in New Scientist, scientists have observed schools of fish "singing" along the reefs around sunrise and sunset, in a way similar to birds at those same times.

“You get the dusk and dawn choruses like you would with the birds in the forest,” says Steve Simpson, a marine biologist at the University of Exeter, UK.

Pro-Life

Comment

The DSM is pretty specific and categorical in nature (some would like to see it be more dimensional), so if you look at conduct disorder in adolescents you'll find the criteria I think you have in mind. Someone with a conduct disorder under the age of 18 whose condition isn't resolved or controlled could go on to be diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder (commonly known as sociopathy or psychopathy) after age 18.
                      Are you a mental heath counselor or social worker?
                      So, what?

believe it!

Comment

Wanted to share this because it makes me smile...according to a recent article in New Scientist, scientists have observed schools of fish "singing" along the reefs around sunrise and sunset, in a way similar to birds at those same times.

“You get the dusk and dawn choruses like you would with the birds in the forest,” says Steve Simpson, a marine biologist at the University of Exeter, UK.

That's pretty neat.

Two videos with another similarity. So beautiful.

Comment

• Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

Comment

• Originally posted by Ktoyou View Post
                            Are you a mental heath counselor or social worker?
                            Finishing up a degree in psychology, planning a master's in social work.

Comment

Huge fan of Merton. Found him in Mountain and went around looking for anything of his I could find. He once said that if a sermon wasn't born out of a profound silence it was a waste of time.
                              Merton understood that practicing one's faith meant LIVING WITH GOD, not just talking about what we think of God. Merton sought to live with God all his monastic life. And he shared what he learned from that practice each day, through his books and journals.

Thomas Merton's writing was a HUGE help to me when I was first learning how to become a sober adult human being. He brought sanity to my insane mind and frantic spirit. And he did it with such amazing gentleness, honesty, and humor.

Comment

I’ve been in two different hospitals in recent days. In one hospital, I was holding a newborn baby just entering the world and taking in those first unfamiliar breaths, and I marveled at her tiny hand wrapped around my finger. In another hospital I was holding the hand of an elderly relative, every labored breath of hers a battle, and all I could do was hold her hand - as fragile in its own way as the newborn baby’s - and tell her it’s okay, I’m here, and she’s going to be all right. I don’t know if she’s going to be all right this time, though. And even while holding her hand, I knew from past experience that it only helps so much. It’s a solitary process, that winding down of life. The beginning of life and the end of life, and in between it’s such a fragile thing.

I was getting some of her things to take up to the hospital and I stopped to look at a picture frame on her dresser. In the photo she’s much younger, and smiling, and one of her sons has his arm around her and he’s smiling too, and no one knew then that he would die before her. He was much, much too young. Life is so fleeting. I think sometimes that time is an illusion. And I wonder if anyone wishes they knew exactly how much time they had to live. How many days, how many hours. I don’t think I want to know.

She’d been taken to the hospital by ambulance and even though that meant she bypassed the emergency room, she was still in a long line of gurneys in the hall. When I walked through the waiting room to get to her, it was filled to overflowing, and people were waiting outside. So many suffering faces. I have a lot of respect and gratitude for doctors and nurses, but even more for the nursing assistants who do so much of the backbreaking work, and for far less pay.

What’s going to happen in the years ahead as the baby boomers age? The first wave of boomers is just hitting the beach, and there are 70 million more who are following them. Not every aging person has family who is able to care for them, and it’s a fact of life that many of the elderly will be as helpless as babies at the end of their lives as they were at the beginning. The crisis is under the radar right now for most people, and maybe will stay that way until it gets to their family, although I’m starting to see more frequent mention of it in the media.

Where am I going with all this? I'm not sure.

Wherever you are in your life, try to live every moment the best that you can, because you can't have that moment back once it's gone. Each one is numbered, and each one is precious.
                                Hi Anna, I really appreciated your writing here, that I quoted up above. I disagree with your very last statement, the conclusion after writing where you going with all this. But since you added you weren't sure I thought you wouldn't mind if I thought you must be close to what I think will help cut down on regrets, but I'm just not sure what it is. But maybe you were not thinking about cutting down on regrets? Don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                X