2. When the spring training hotel
would not let the black players stay
there, Busch bought the hotel.

3. Gibson and Carpenter are two
of the top ten post season pitchers
in history.

4. The Cards won in spite of having
Larusa as a manager.

i like Larussa - law degree and MLB player. he could still be managing, you just agree with Ozzie, you may be black. Also, REMEMBER - CURT FLOOD. every player since him should send him a big check - :patrol:

Aimiel

The Cincinnati Redlegs were the first team to actually be paid to play. Opening day used to be a day for the Reds to play and everyone else had to wait until the next day to play. I miss those days. I can remember Pete Rose's first game as a rookie, when my dad said (we were in the stands), "The Reds don't need a hot dog, they need a team player." That's why I always liked Johnny Bench. :thumb:

The Berean

The Cincinnati Redlegs were the first team to actually be paid to play. Opening day used to be a day for the Reds to play and everyone else had to wait until the next day to play. I miss those days. I can remember Pete Rose's first game as a rookie, when my dad said (we were in the stands), "The Reds don't need a hot dog, they need a team player." That's why I always liked Johnny Bench. :thumb:

Yes, but that Redlegs team is now the Atlanta Braves.

The Berean

The Cardinals are the greatest
MLB organization in history.

1. The Yankees have won more
World Series, but the Cardinals
have won with a better process,
not just buying talent.

2. When the spring training hotel
would not let the black players stay
there, Busch bought the hotel.

3. Gibson and Carpenter are two
of the top ten post season pitchers
in history.

4. The Cards won in spite of having
Larusa as a manager.
The Giants have more franchise wins, the second highest winning percentage, and more Hall of Famers.

i like Larussa - law degree and MLB player. he could still be managing, you just agree with Ozzie, you may be black. Also, REMEMBER - CURT FLOOD. every player since him should send him a big check - :patrol:
Either Larussa and/or the GM at that time should bear the blame for the hurt feelings of HoF Ozzie Smith. That was no way to treat a HoF player. I don't remember who the first Black player for St. Louis was, but Stan Musial made sure he was welcomed and treated fairly. I grew up watching Bob Gibson and Steve Carlton pitch against Don Drysdale, Sandy Koufax and Juan Marichal. Baseball doesn't get any better than that.

For those who don't know who Don Drysdale is:
Drysdale used a sidearm fastball and brushback pitches to intimidate hitters, and was not afraid to throw inside, as Orlando Cepeda described “The trick against (Don) Drysdale is to hit him before he hits you”. Upon his retirement from the game, Drysdale’s 154 batters hit by a pitch were a modern National League record. As he put it “My own little rule was two for one—if one of my teammates got knocked down, then I knocked down two on the other team”.
That's real baseball.

Mocking You

I grew up watching Bob Gibson and Steve Carlton pitch against Don Drysdale, Sandy Koufax and Juan Marichal. Baseball doesn't get any better than that.

I grew up at the tail end of that era. My favorite player as a kid was Brooks Robinson. I watch baseball nowadays and as far as the players performing the fundamentals of the game it is pathetic.

For those who don't know who Don Drysdale is:
Drysdale used a sidearm fastball and brushback pitches to intimidate hitters, and was not afraid to throw inside, as Orlando Cepeda described “The trick against (Don) Drysdale is to hit him before he hits you”. Upon his retirement from the game, Drysdale’s 154 batters hit by a pitch were a modern National League record. As he put it “My own little rule was two for one—if one of my teammates got knocked down, then I knocked down two on the other team”.
That's real baseball.

No, that's stupid baseball. Nothing wrong with a brushback pitch, but to deliberately hit two batters for each teammate that was hit is gross headhunting and I'm glad the game has cleaned this up.

I grew up at the tail end of that era. My favorite player as a kid was Brooks Robinson. I watch baseball nowadays and as far as the players performing the fundamentals of the game it is pathetic.

No, that's stupid baseball. Nothing wrong with a brushback pitch, but to deliberately hit two batters for each teammate that was hit is gross headhunting and I'm glad the game has cleaned this up.
Not so. If the other team is intiminated before the game starts, that's an edge. Also, a brushback pitch is not necessarily a high pitch inside at eye level. You are making assumptions without facts. This is how the game was played. Pitchers didn't miss a turn for a blister on a finger. Bob Gibson pitched much the same way as Drysdale. The difference was Gibson was also a .300 hitter.

The Berean

Not so. If the other team is intiminated before the game starts, that's an edge. Also, a brushback pitch is not necessarily a high pitch inside at eye level. You are making assumptions without facts. This is how the game was played. Pitchers didn't miss a turn for a blister on a finger. Bob Gibson pitched much the same way as Drysdale. The difference was Gibson was also a .300 hitter.

And pitchers didn't make $150 million either. Teams try to protect their assets now. The LA Dodgers once had Sandy Koufax throw 150 pitches in a spring training game. Thankfully, teams today are not that myopic.

Mocking You

Not so. If the other team is intiminated before the game starts, that's an edge. Also, a brushback pitch is not necessarily a high pitch inside at eye level.

I wasn't necessarily meaning head-hunting meant throwing at eye level, though it seems to convey that thought. I guess I should have said that hunting two guys for the one teammate that was hit was stupid baseball--careers can be ruined. I don't go to baseball games to see someone get beaned, just like I don't go to hockey games to see fights.

Mocking You

And pitchers didn't make $150 million either. Teams try to protect their assets now. The LA Dodgers once had Sandy Koufax throw 150 pitches in a spring training game. Thankfully, teams today are not that myopic.

Most teams are not that myopic. However, years of Jim Leyland abusing Justin Verlander pitch counts has resulted in Verlander missing his opening day start because he's on the DL for the first time in his career. His average pitch velocity has dropped from 95.5 to 93.1 mph. Verlander is guaranteed $140 million over the next 5 years.

Also, the Texas Rangers under Nolan Ryan's guidance decided they would have starters go deeper into games. I think they lost 3 starting pitchers last year for the whole year, or most of it, and this year Yu Darvish is out for the year.

I wasn't necessarily meaning head-hunting meant throwing at eye level, though it seems to convey that thought. I guess I should have said that hunting two guys for the one teammate that was hit was stupid baseball--careers can be ruined. I don't go to baseball games to see someone get beaned, just like I don't go to hockey games to see fights.
The only serious injury I can remember happened in Cleveland when Herb Score was hit in the eye with a batted ball. Doctor's were able to save his eye but he was never the same pitcher after that. My father told me about that. It happened sometime in the mid 1950s. One year, Bob Gibson broke his leg early in the season. (Roberto Clemente hit a line drive off his leg fracturing his right leg. Unaware, he pitched to three more batters before his right fibia snapped above the ankle forcing him to leave the game.) This was the age of a four-man rotation so innings were high. The game was changed forever in 1968 with what Bob Gibson and Denny McLain did. Both won Cy Young's and MVP's that year. The mound was then lowered in 1969 to give batters a better chance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Gibson

Last edited:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Cubs have not won the World Series since 1908 (106 years).

The Cubs have not been to the World Series since 1945 (69 years)

I'm glad I'm not a Cubs fan.

I was a Cubs fan until 1994. I have watched very few major league games since.

The Berean

I was a Cubs fan until 1994. I have watched very few major league games since.

The Cubs have a lot of elite young talent, Chris Bryant being the big kahuna. Plus their GM is Theo Epstein, who ended the Red Sox 86 year World Series title drought in 2004. His goal is to do the same in Chicago. :D