St. Louis Cardinals - Cardinal Country

The Berean

Sending him to the minor leagues in exchange for another year of contract control was a no-brainer. Who is surprised the Cubs did this?

He'll be in the majors sometime in June or before the AS break.

Actually Bryant only needs to spend 12 days at AAA then his free agency year is pushed by one year.

john w

Hall of Fame
is this year the Chicago Cubs do something? :think:

Yes....again...

cubs-choke.jpg

Mocking You

Actually Bryant only needs to spend 12 days at AAA then his free agency year is pushed by one year.

Yes, I know that. But the Cubs are not going to bring him up on day 13, it would be too obvious and would likely anger Bryant. They'll wait for an injury and then bring him up (assuming he does well at AAA.)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Yes, I know that. But the Cubs are not going to bring him up on day 13, it would be too obvious and would likely anger Bryant. They'll wait for an injury and then bring him up (assuming he does well at AAA.)

Kobe ? lol - i think if they changed the name it may help. i know about the history and tradition, but really - "Cubs" ? it's like pups, kittens, chicks, ducklings, hatchlings. why not Babies ? "introducing YOUR CUBBIES ! ! ! sure, it's a big league uniform, but it has a cub on it. there must be a better name, any suggestions ? Beuhler ! anyone ? how about "Sausage Kings of Chicago" - :jazz:

The Berean

Why would it anger Bryant? He has already stated publicly that though he is disappointed he'll use this as motivation. Plus the Cubs need him. He is already one of their best players. It makes no sense to wait two months to promote him.

The Berean

He has zero major league ABs and he's one of their best players? Put down the Kool-Aid!
There are these things called "scouting reports" and "statistics". You really believe Bryant is not one of the Cubs' best players? Last year at AA and AAA combined Bryant hit:

.325/.438/.661, 43 HR, 110 RBI, 118 R, 34 doubles, 16 SB, 86 BB.

Bryant is currently rated as the #1 minor league prospect in all of baseball by Baseball America, Keith Law, John Sickels, and Fangraphs. MLB.com ranks Bryant are the #2 prospect, and Baseball Prospectus ranks Bryant #5.

In spring training Bryant was hitting 12-for-25, 2 2B, 8 HR, 10 R, 14 RBI and a slash line of .480/.552/1.520 through March 21. Yes, eight of his 12 hits were home runs.

By traditional scouting, minor league performance, and spring training performance Bryant is obviously ready to be the Cubs starting third baseman. Instead the Cubs currently have Mike Olt starting at third base. Who is Mike Olt? He is a 26 year old journeyman who has hit .156/.245/.328 for his CAREER. Unless you think Bryant can't hit higher than .156 he should be the Cubs starting third baseman.

OK, who are they going to release/send to minors/cut to make from for Mr. Bryant on Day 13?
I have no idea. I don't follow the Cubs that closely. Maybe they don't recall Bryant on day 13. But they certainly will not wait until June to do so. Bryant is not yet on the Cubs' 40-man roster so hey would have to remove someone for the 40-man roster.

Mocking You

I know all about Bryant's stats and his accolades. The fact is he doesn't have an MLB at bat. Therefore, by definition, he's not "one of their best players".

Byron Buxton is the Twins' top prospect. He was Baseball America's #1 prospect 2 years in a row. He does not have an MLB at bat. He is not one of their best players.

BTW, Bryant is batting .125 in AAA Iowa. Should be be called up?

The Berean

I know all about Bryant's stats and his accolades. The fact is he doesn't have an MLB at bat. Therefore, by definition, he's not "one of their best players".
Do you really believe that Cubs third baseman, Mike Olt, is a better player than Kris Bryant right now?

Byron Buxton is the Twins' top prospect. He was Baseball America's #1 prospect 2 years in a row. He does not have an MLB at bat. He is not one of their best players.
Buxton is not Kris Bryant. For one Buxton has only reached AA ball. He has never hit 43 HR's at AAA like Bryant.

BTW, Bryant is batting .125 in AAA Iowa. Should be be called up?
That is in just two games that Bryant had played (1 for 8). Now Bryant has played in 3 games and is now hitting .333/.357/.667 :p. That is what you get with such small sample sizes. The Cubs should call him up right now!

The Berean

Last year Miguel Cabrera had his poorest season in years. There was some talk that he is entering the decline phase of his career. Others countered that Cabrera had some injuries that really hampered him 2014. Well, far in 2015 is hitting like crazy, .517/.576/.824, 292 OPS+.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Last year Miguel Cabrera had his poorest season in years. There was some talk that he is entering the decline phase of his career. Others countered that Cabrera had some injuries that really hampered him 2014. Well, far in 2015 is hitting like crazy, .517/.576/.824, 292 OPS+.

he's a great player, he is far from done. Pujols just hit HR 522, 6 years ago i thought he would pass Babe and maybe (steroid) Bonds. if he only stayed in St. Louis he may have 560 by now, 600 by the end of '15 season. it was not to be ?

The Berean

he's a great player, he is far from done. Pujols just hit HR 522, 6 years ago i thought he would pass Babe and maybe (steroid) Bonds. if he only stayed in St. Louis he may have 560 by now, 600 by the end of '15 season. it was not to be ?

Albert Pujols was amazing in his 20's, right there with Lou Gehrig as the greatest first baseman of all time. His severe decline starting at age 31 is just puzzling to me. For years there were rumors that he was perhaps 3-5 years older than he claimed to be. I never paid much attention to those rumors but now I am not so sure. All time greats don't usually decline that fast at such a young age.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Albert Pujols was amazing in his 20's, right there with Lou Gehrig as the greatest first baseman of all time. His severe decline starting at age 31 is just puzzling to me. For years there were rumors that he was perhaps 3-5 years older than he claimed to be. I never paid much attention to those rumors but now I am not so sure. All time greats don't usually decline that fast at such a young age.

I don't know why, but I always found as funny the following ESPN commercial with the spelling bee kid and Scott Van Pelt trying to spell P-U-J-O-I-S.

This Is Sportscenter - Spelling Bee