Hard-to-find Classic (Oldies) Contemporary Christian Music

Lon

Randy Stonehill, Larry Norman, Keith Green, and Phil Keaggy, among others were contemporaries and wrote songs together.

Randy tended to sing from a humorous perspective, even when treating serious topics, like being in the world but not of it, and longing for another world.
Stop The World, I Want to Get Off!

That was 1984, three years later Mylon LeFevre came out with another song about being ready to go to heaven NOW!

Three years before, Keith Green had "I Can't Wait To Get To Heaven."
I Can't Wait to Get to Heaven!

Lon

Here is another one by Keith Green that is my favorite and has special meaning for me.

"Your Love Broke Through"
I asked Phil Keaggy in an online discussion hosted by GCN how he had come to record this song and the story behind it. Keith often called and asked other artists to come help him with a song he was stuck on. Randy Stonehill, 2nd Chapter of Acts, and Phil Keaggy all helped him finish a few of his songs. Randy said sometimes he called him in the middle of the night :) (Phil gave me 10 of his CD's. Thankfully none of the ones I already had).

Lon

In 1973-4, 2nd Chapter of Acts recorded the Easter Song and in time for Resurrection Sunday:

Easter Song

In the 18th century, John Wesley wrote Christ The Lord is Risen today.

There are a lot of beautiful renditions but this is my favorite. Technically, it comes under the wire from 1989 but is listed as 1990. Because it comes from an 80's 90's group, Glad, I thought it appropriate to include it for Resurrection Sunday celebration:

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today!

fzappa13

I began working at Dightman's Bible Book store in Tacoma Washington in about 1980-81 in November. Mr. Dightman, a devout Presbyterian, said he didn't have work and I said, "Please Mr. Dightman, I'll do anything." He said "Well, there is one thing..." He didn't believe I'd want to do it, as it entailed a lot of after-school work and weekends of chipping away at old asbestos tiles. I spent the next 6 months clearing the floor for new tile and carpet. One of my first albulms was Keith Green's but I also bought an LP by Silverwind.

I cannot find their song, but Phil Driscoll had done a cover of "I will Bless the Lord"

I Will Bless the Lord

Egad, Phil Driscoll. Last time I saw him was in a bar in Mayport, Florida back when I was in the Navy. The guy does a respectable Joe Cocker impersonation and he is a decent horn player as well.

fzappa13

I asked Phil Keaggy in an online discussion hosted by GCN how he had come to record this song and the story behind it. Keith often called and asked other artists to come help him with a song he was stuck on. Randy Stonehill, 2nd Chapter of Acts, and Phil Keaggy all helped him finish a few of his songs. Randy said sometimes he called him in the middle of the night :) (Phil gave me 10 of his CD's. Thankfully none of the ones I already had).

Phil is an interesting story in that he was (is) a really good guitar player who eventually eschewed that scene for that of Contemporary Christian music. Like Driscoll, he seemed to set aside what were his natural strengths as a musician to pursue his Christian muse. I'm not suggesting that the two are mutually exclusive but I do see a lot of it as it regards these transformations ... Mark Farner being an exception to the rule ... and maybe Bobby Zimmerman.

No offense but, I'd way rather hear "Eve of Destruction" than what came after for Barry McGuire. For my money, Bruce Cockburn is one of the few who successfully interwove their christian faith into their music.

Lon

Egad, Phil Driscoll. Last time I saw him was in a bar in Mayport, Florida back when I was in the Navy. The guy does a respectable Joe Cocker impersonation and he is a decent horn player as well.
It is interesting that you rubbed shoulders with so many. I take it you are a horn player as well? Is there any work I might know from you? For instance, play with Koinonia or etc? I worked with Brad Westering at Dightman's. A year later Denise William's CD came out and he asked me to listen to it. I told him 'it was okay.' He told me to give it another listen, there in the linear, Brad Westering had worked in the studio on her CD as producer and then married her :) Of course I bought it after that. At any rate, most of my contacts with musicians were at Dightman's and I have a number of stories of neat and memorable interactions with them, though I seldom tell those stories. Having heard of your contact with Matthew Ward, and now Phil Driscoe, I enjoy just hearing about people I've listened to a great deal. I think it is more reminiscing and appreciating their impact on my life. Keith Green certainly had the largest impact. He wasn't just a musician, but a mentor with his newletter and album commentary with scripture. I appreciated when others followed in his footsteps, though none to that degree. Keith was trying to use his ministry to reach us, and he did.

-Lon

fzappa13

It is interesting that you rubbed shoulders with so many. I take it you are a horn player as well? Is there any work I might know from you? For instance, play with Koinonia or etc? I worked with Brad Westering at Dightman's. A year later Denise William's CD came out and he asked me to listen to it. I told him 'it was okay.' He told me to give it another listen, there in the linear, Brad Westering had worked in the studio on her CD as producer and then married her :) Of course I bought it after that. At any rate, most of my contacts with musicians were at Dightman's and I have a number of stories of neat and memorable interactions with them, though I seldom tell those stories. Having heard of your contact with Matthew Ward, and now Phil Driscoe, I enjoy just hearing about people I've listened to a great deal. I think it is more reminiscing and appreciating their impact on my life. Keith Green certainly had the largest impact. He wasn't just a musician, but a mentor with his newletter and album commentary with scripture. I appreciated when others followed in his footsteps, though none to that degree. Keith was trying to use his ministry to reach us, and he did.

-Lon

Nah, I wasn't a horn player (unless you count Baritone in marching band and I don't) but I've played with enough of them to know what one looks like. Having done most everything you can associated with music (recording, mixing, sales, luthier, playing, etc.) you eventually rub shoulders with those involved at the various levels. Musicians are humans ... 'nuff said. They are no more or less worthy of admiration than practitioners of any other avocation.

Lon

Nah, I wasn't a horn player (unless you count Baritone in marching band and I don't) but I've played with enough of them to know what one looks like. Having done most everything you can associated with music (recording, mixing, sales, luthier, playing, etc.) you eventually rub shoulders with those involved at the various levels. Musicians are humans ... 'nuff said. They are no more or less worthy of admiration than practitioners of any other avocation.
Well, I can toss out my DaVinci painting then :eek: *(disagreeing mildly - admiration yes, appreciation yes, owning their CD's, yes Pedestals, no).

Phil Keaggy can play a lot better than I so I prefer listening to his CD over my more-than-humble playing/recordings. He is also a better lyricist.

I cook really well, that doesn't mean I don't occasionally enjoy eating out (again, just trying to show why the mild disagreement with 'appreciation')

fzappa13

Well, I can toss out my DaVinci painting then *(disagreeing mildly - admiration yes, appreciation yes, owning their CD's, yes Pedestals, no).

Phil Keaggy can play a lot better than I so I prefer listening to his CD over my more-than-humble playing/recordings. He is also a better lyricist.

I cook really well, that doesn't mean I don't occasionally enjoy eating out (again, just trying to show why the mild disagreement with 'appreciation')

Well, for better or for worse, that is exactly what happens. Any story you ever about that scene is true from groupies on down. I've lost several friends I specifically warned about such stuff. I suppose it leaves you a bit more jaundiced that is warranted. Music is unique. I still don't understand it. It is at times beautiful and at others not so much. It is a phenomenon. I can't say I understand much about it past that.

Reactions: Lon

Lon

Well, for better or for worse, that is exactly what happens.
You are correct. I think on this, I'm simply fleshing out 'appreciation' vs idolatry. I think we actually agree.
That said, I am interested in their lives as well, I'm not sure why. I'm interested in your history too, so I think it is just 'getting to know better.' With a few of them, that hasn't always been encouraging but I am only endeared to Matthew Ward if pen-sniffing is his only fault :chuckle:
Any story you ever[heard] about that scene is true from groupies on down. I've lost several friends I specifically warned about such stuff. I suppose it leaves you a bit more jaundiced that is warranted.
I share a bit of this, though know none of them on a personal level.
Music is unique. I still don't understand it. It is at times beautiful and at others not so much. It is a phenomenon. I can't say I understand much about it past that.
Ephesians 5:19-21 1 Corinthians 14:26 Philippians 4:8

Lon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlX4cDAkz44

This is a redo of Cockburn's "Cry of a Tiny Babe" with him, Rosanne Cash and Lou Reed. Yeah, I know, nobody ever accused Lou of being able to sing but I loved the lyrics none the less.
Quick tutorial for imbedding:

1) Copy everything after "=" in this case "RlX4cDAkz44"
2) Hit "You Tube" icon upper right of window
3) Enter the name "Bruce - Cry of Baby"
4) Hit Ctrl+v or left click between the ] [ and paste
{YT="Bruce Cockburn - Cry of a Little Baby"]RlX4cDAkz44[/YT}

Another way is to copy after the = then type [YT= etc.

fzappa13

Quick tutorial for imbedding:

1) Copy everything after "=" in this case "RlX4cDAkz44"
2) Hit "You Tube" icon upper right of window
3) Enter the name "Bruce - Cry of Baby"
4) Hit Ctrl+v or left click between the ] [ and paste
{YT="Bruce Cockburn - Cry of a Little Baby"]RlX4cDAkz44[/YT}

Another way is to copy after the = then type
etc.[/QUOTE