Fast Personality Test

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Introversion and extroversion are only with regard to how you recharge. For me, being with lots of people is fun, but tiring. My youngest daughter gets energy from all the people around her.

I get re-energized being by myself, reading, tinkering, or writing.

That's all it means. One psychologist recalls how a mother objected to the analysis of her daughter:
"My daughter is not an introvert. She is a lovely girl!"

In our particular society, solitude isn't valued. But it's the way some of our brightest and most inventive people accomplish what they do. It's like being left-handed (which I am); nothing wrong with it, but it seems to annoy some people.
:think: I can relate to that. I'm naturally left handed but I write right handed. My first grade teacher's idea of a practical joke to last a lifetime.

And I value my late night writing and reading and contemplative time, when the family is asleep and the house is still. To me it is like that time before a great meal when you're hungry. :) But entertaining, informing and being entertained and informed, jostling elbows, that remains the feast.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I was trying and trying to remember something I'd learned about a year ago or so, and I finally came up with it. This is really interesting:

Gray's Reinforcement Sensitivity Theory

"... Differences among people along the dimensions of introversion-extraversion and emotionality-stability originate in the brain regions that influence how sensitive people are to different kinds of events. These regions are called the behavioral approach system and the flight or freeze system. The behavioral approach system, or BAS, affects people's sensitivity to rewards and their motivation to seek these rewards. The BAS has been called a "go" system because it is responsible for how impulsive or uninhibited a person is.The flight or freeze system, or FFS, affects how sensitive people are to punishment. Gray sees extraverts as having a sensitive reward system (BAS) and an insensitive punishment system (FFS). Introverts are just the opposite: they are relatively insensitive to rewards but highly sensitive to punishment."

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I can relate to that. I'm naturally left handed but I write right handed. My first grade teacher's idea of a practical joke to last a lifetime.

Mine tried. But, you know... INTP. I just concluded that she wasn't very bright.

She would praise my penmanship on my homework, saying what a better job I did when I was at home, taking my time. :chuckle:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Introverts are just the opposite: they are relatively insensitive to rewards but highly sensitive to punishment."

Interesting. INTPs are pretty much live-and-let live, unless someone gets aggressive with them.

INTP kids, for example, are deeply aggrieved and outraged at physical aggression. Hitting them will often have exactly the outcome you don't want.

Change in behavior comes about by making them see the wrongness or foolishness in what they were doing.

I've got an AP student who is always in conflict with other teachers (very few teachers are NTs) because she wants to do it her way.

I had some of it myself. "Why do I have to write the foldable in color?"

"Because the left brain deals in logic and the right brain deals in emotional content, like color. If both sides communicate when you make the foldable, you'll remember better."

"Oh." (gets out her map pencils)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Mine tried. But, you know... INTP. I just concluded that she wasn't very bright.

She would praise my penmanship on my homework, saying what a better job I did when I was at home, taking my time. :chuckle:
:chuckle:

ENFP so early on I was more accommodating. Once I had my core values in place that changed and I learned linguistic judo to carve out a comfortable place for myself, finding that I could use a gentle humor to wear people down and into an acceptance of our differences. I'm largely working my way back into that and out of the more acerbic, though I still have my moments.

fzappa13

You could say the same about extroverts. There's a danger of broadbrushing an entire cohort with positive and negative behaviors and I'm trying not to do that.

... and therein lay the danger of such tests. I would suggest that we have a responsibility to judge each person we encounter on their own merits. That said, we are forever seeking to put each other in some sort of conceptual box that allows us to avoid the work of actually getting to know someone.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
... and therein lay the danger of such tests. I would suggest that we have a responsibility to judge each person we encounter on their own merits.
I'd bet no matter how we test that mostly happens anyway though. This sort of thing is, for me, an opportunity for general insight and a little lark mixed in.

That said, we are forever seeking to put each other in some sort of conceptual box that allows us to avoid the work of actually getting to know someone.
I think that's a negative over reach. We self identify through broad labels often enough (Baptist, Hindu, Atheist, conservative, etc.) without that complaint attaching.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
... and therein lay the danger of such tests. I would suggest that we have a responsibility to judge each person we encounter on their own merits. That said, we are forever seeking to put each other in some sort of conceptual box that allows us to avoid the work of actually getting to know someone.

Except usually these tests are taken by people wanting to know themselves better. They're not for identifying traits in others so much as ourselves.

It's interesting how people can live their whole lives and not know themselves at all.

In an odd way, the opposite of narcissism isn't a positive, it's another negative - Too much navel-gazing vs. not even being able to find the navel.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Except usually these tests are taken by people wanting to know themselves better. They're not for identifying traits in others so much as ourselves.

It's interesting how people can live their whole lives and not know themselves at all.

In an odd way, the opposite of narcissism isn't a positive, it's another negative - Too much navel-gazing vs. not even being able to find the navel.

It's the old problem. The unexamined life against the life overly scrutinized, after a fashion. Neither allows for much living.

fzappa13

I'd bet no matter how we test that mostly happens anyway though. This sort of thing is, for me, an opportunity for general insight and a little lark mixed in.

I think that's a negative over reach. We self identify through broad labels often enough (Baptist, Hindu, Atheist, conservative, etc.) without that complaint attaching.

Who's we?

fzappa13

That's why we have each other ... mirrors as it were.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
:chuckle:

ENFP so early on I was more accommodating. Once I had my core values in place that changed and I learned linguistic judo to carve out a comfortable place for myself, finding that I could use a gentle humor to wear people down and into an acceptance of our differences. I'm largely working my way back into that and out of the more acerbic, though I still have my moments.

we always go back to our roots

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
thanks townman, i found that page and got your msg. i have not been on tol for more than a week or so. stalk you later, i mean, talk to you later

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Me hopefully ... depending on the company "we" are talking about. ;)
Okay, let's really look at it:

You'd said:
we are forever seeking to put each other in some sort of conceptual box that allows us to avoid the work of actually getting to know someone.
I responded: We self identify through broad labels often enough (Baptist, Hindu, Atheist, conservative, etc.) without that complaint attaching.

Most people identify themselves with fairly broad labels. So the we is most people. Christian is fairly broad. Conservative too, by way of example.