Fast Personality Test

Lon

What value is this kind of thing?
1) helps you understand yourself within contexts and hopefully by such, see you are not an oddball or at least not alone.
2) helps you understand another and perhaps helps with a personality trait you may not have liked let alone understood
3) helps you focus on what really matters to you
4) for some, fun? Not my personality trait so 'fun' isn't why I find it interesting
5) for me as a believer, it helps me understand my strengths and gifts and use them, focus on my strengths

6) ??

quip

BANNED
Banned
What value is this kind of thing?

For one thing, I would have been a lot happier if I understood why I felt like an alien being in the little town where I lived. INTPs are about 3% in the population, and I thought I was the only one like me in the world.

Introversion isn't what most people think it is. It's just the way you get recharged. Crowds, unless I'm in front speaking to them, wear me out. I get recharged in solitude.

My wife, God bless her, always understood this, even before I knew it.

Like Lon said, it helps get to know yourself, exactly why you tick (not simply how). It also helps to understand (empathy) other's perspectives and why you may have chemistry with one person or group but can't get along with others.

Reactions: Lon

Gary K

Banned
I have not read this entire thread so I don't know if someone has brought this up or not.

The Meyers-Briggs test is not a personality test. It is a temperament test. Temperament and personality are not the same thing. Yes, one affects the other, and there is a relationship between the two, but they are not the same thing.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I have not read this entire thread so I don't know if someone has brought this up or not.

The Meyers-Briggs test is not a personality test. It is a temperament test. Temperament and personality are not the same thing. Yes, one affects the other, and there is a relationship between the two, but they are not the same thing.

Personality results from the interaction of temperament and experience.

I'd take any online test with a grain of salt. Clinical personality tests (the best known being the MMPI) and scales measure the test-taking behavior also, in an effort to reduce behaviors like "faking good" and "faking bad."

Regardless, on the subject of personality and behavior in general, I'd defer to Ktoyou.

quip

BANNED
Banned

You're a T type.... I'm thinking? :think:

Gary K

Banned
You're a T type.... I'm thinking? :think:

LOL. Yeah, I am an ENTP. I differ with the usual ENTP though in that I do not love playing devil's advocate. I will not argue for that which I do not believe. It's that ENTP honesty thing which is augmented in me by my Christianity. Debate, it's a good thing. It makes me examine and re-examine what I believe. I think that is a good thing for all of us, especially those who don't like to think through their stances. While they may not like being made to think through their positions, it is profitable for them.

Gary K

Banned
I guess your first sentence is dependent on which school of psychology you find most appealing. Overall, the different schools of pyschology include a lot of different things in their definitions of personality. I wouldn't completely disagree with your analysis though.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I guess your first sentence is dependent on which school of psychology you find most appealing. Overall, the different schools of pyschology include a lot of different things in their definitions of personality. I wouldn't completely disagree with your analysis though.

Not dependent whether I find any school of psychology appealing (not sure what you mean by that - cognitive-behavioral is pretty much the gold standard these days). It's just the definition I learned in abnormal psychology. Kat is a retired psychologist though, and she offers some very interesting insight.

Gary K

Banned
Not dependent whether I find any school of psychology appealing (not sure what you mean by that - cognitive-behavioral is pretty much the gold standard these days). It's just the definition I learned in abnormal psychology. Kat is a retired psychologist though, and she offers some very interesting insight.

You may be right about what is the most popular form of psychology these days. I haven't paid much attention to it in the past decade or so. I have read a lot in field though, and the different schools of thought all have their own ideas as to what exactly constitutes personality. I have done a lot of reading on temperament too. It is something that has fascinated me for a long time. Over the years I've read probably at least a dozen pyschology textbooks from different schools of thought. I've read probably as many books on temperament too. It's a very interesting subject.

quip

BANNED
Banned
LOL. Yeah, I am an ENTP. I differ with the usual ENTP though in that I do not love playing devil's advocate. I will not argue for that which I do not believe. It's that ENTP honesty thing which is augmented in me by my Christianity. Debate, it's a good thing. It makes me examine and re-examine what I believe. I think that is a good thing for all of us, especially those who don't like to think through their stances. While they may not like being made to think through their positions, it is profitable for them.

I'm an odd admixture of INTP and INFP. During clear debates on this forum I tend toward the former; when being more philosophical I lean toward the NF side.

Though, in real life I likewise lean toward the NF side with personal interaction seeing that my NT side tends to be a touch harsh and anal. (Unless that approach is what I'm specifically aiming for). Nonetheless, I love playing devil's advocate, I enjoy placing myself in different and opposing sides of an argument, it offers me a variety of perspectives to draw upon. This must be the NF influence on me. :)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Now, let's discuss the "J" and "P" difference.

We all make use of perception and cognition, yet some prefer to remain in perception longer than those who rather come to a quick decision. Those to have a preference for perception are the "P" types; they may perceive though the senses, or through the imagination of possibilities, but perception is their dominant mode of thought.

The same with "J" types, here feeling and values or thinking and logical thought are dominant, "J" types want to make decisions quickly, while "P" types would rather stay in perception.

In general, "J" types like to make decisions and get things done and are often more organized, but this is relevant to preferring cognition, not because they are naturally neater.

Next time I will write on the "E" and "I" difference, but keep in mind the "J" and "P" determine if perception or cognition are dominant.

Gary K

Banned
I'm an odd admixture of INTP and INFP. During clear debates on this forum I tend toward the former; when being more philosophical I lean toward the NF side.

Though, in real life I likewise lean toward the NF side with personal interaction seeing that my NT side tends to be a touch harsh and anal. (Unless that approach is what I'm specifically aiming for). Nonetheless, I love playing devil's advocate, I enjoy placing myself in different and opposing sides of an argument, it offers me a variety of perspectives to draw upon. This must be the NF influence on me. :)

I get the various sides of issues from my reading. I read a lot, and always have since I could read. It's something I've always been really good at. In the 3rd grade I attended a small 1 room 8 grade parochial school. The teacher gave us a reading assignment one day and said we could do whatever we pleased when we were done reading, so I read the assignment, put my book away and started doing something else. The next thing I know the teacher is standing next to my desk and asking me why I hadn't read the assignment. I told him I had, and he said he didn't believe me. He asked for my reading book and then started asking me questions out of the assignment. He asked 10 or 12 questions and I answered them all correctly. He handed my book back and told me he would never question me again. Then he turned to the rest of the school and said, I could not have read that assignment as fast as he did and comprehended as much as he did. He had a master's degree so he was pretty well educated and pretty smart. My head got so big my neck couldn't support it. :D To this day I still think that was one of the greatest compliments I've ever been given.

My library right now is somewhere around 3300 books. About 2800 are ebooks and the rest are "real" books. That's probably about half the total number of books I've read in my lifetime. I have a lot of interests. In fact, there are very few subjects on which I haven't read a fair amount. My curiosity is so great it just drives me to continually learn. That curiousity and the drive to learn was born into me. I can't remember a time when I wasn't wanting to learn. And I've always had my nose in a book.

quip

BANNED
Banned
I get the various sides of issues from my reading. I read a lot, and always have since I could read. It's something I've always been really good at. In the 3rd grade I attended a small 1 room 8 grade parochial school. The teacher gave us a reading assignment one day and said we could do whatever we pleased when we were done reading, so I read the assignment, put my book away and started doing something else. The next thing I know the teacher is standing next to my desk and asking me why I hadn't read the assignment. I told him I had, and he said he didn't believe me. He asked for my reading book and then started asking me questions out of the assignment. He asked 10 or 12 questions and I answered them all correctly. He handed my book back and told me he would never question me again. Then he turned to the rest of the school and said, I could not have read that assignment as fast as he did and comprehended as much as he did. He had a master's degree so he was pretty well educated and pretty smart. My head got so big my neck couldn't support it. :D To this day I still think that was one of the greatest compliments I've ever been given.

My library right now is somewhere around 3300 books. About 2800 are ebooks and the rest are "real" books. That's probably about half the total number of books I've read in my lifetime. I have a lot of interests. In fact, there are very few subjects on which I haven't read a fair amount. My curiosity is so great it just drives me to continually learn. That curiousity and the drive to learn was born into me. I can't remember a time when I wasn't wanting to learn. And I've always had my nose in a book.

I couldn't find another's perspective from mere reading. NF must first "feel" the other's rationale and motive of which the NT processes and then articulates...sometimes harshly, in an effort to pierce rather thick skulls around here.

Gary K

Banned
I couldn't find another's perspective from mere reading. NF must first "feel" the other's rationale and motive of which the NT processes and then articulates...sometimes harshly, in an effort to pierce rather thick skulls around here.

Having a hard time learning by reading must make studying and school pretty difficult. Reading and comprehending what I read is so much a part of me I have a hard time imagining life without it.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Having a hard time learning by reading must make studying and school pretty difficult. Reading and comprehending what I read is so much a part of me I have a hard time imagining life without it.

Oh I love to read and to learn. It's just that I must internalize such readings in an effort to produce a compelling feeling (introspective feeling - Fi). If it doesn't resonate with me, then forget it.

I was more than likely similar to the teacher and the rest of your class, if that book didn't generate some level of passion for me.... it was probably a slow read.

Gary K

Banned
annabennedetti,

In the video you posted the woman's description as what she views as sympathy is not sympathy. What was illustrated is a cold disconnected desire to distance one's self from another's pain. Sympathy has nothing to do with that, at least as far as I understand it. Sympathy to me, rises out of empathy.

WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) (wn)
empathy
n 1: understanding and entering into another's feelings

The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 (gcide)
Sympathy Sym"pa*thy, n.; pl. Sympathies. [F. sympathie, L.
sympathia, Gr. ?; sy`n with + ? suffering, passion, fr. ?, ?,
to suffer. See Syn-, and Pathos.]
1. Feeling corresponding to that which another feels; the
quality of being affected by the affection of another,
with feelings correspondent in kind, if not in degree;
fellow-feeling.
[1913 Webster]

They saw, but other sight instead -- a crowd
Of ugly serpents! Horror on them fell,
And horrid sympathy. --Milton.
[1913 Webster]

2. An agreement of affections or inclinations, or a
conformity of natural temperament, which causes persons to
be pleased, or in accord, with one another;
as, there is
perfect sympathy between them.
[1913 Webster]

3. Kindness of feeling toward one who suffers; pity;
commiseration; compassion.

[1913 Webster]

I value myself upon sympathy, I hate and despise
myself for envy. --Kames.
[1913 Webster]

4. (Physiol. & Med.)
(a) The reciprocal influence exercised by organs or parts
on one another, as shown in the effects of a diseased
condition of one part on another part or organ, as in
the vomiting produced by a tumor of the brain.
(b) The influence of a certain psychological state in one
person in producing a like state in another.

Note: In the original 1890 work, sense (b) was described as:
"That relation which exists between different persons
by which one of them produces in the others a state or
condition like that of himself. This is shown in the
tendency to yawn which a person often feels on seeing
another yawn, or the strong inclination to become
hysteric experienced by many women on seeing another
person suffering with hysteria."
[Webster 1913 Suppl. +PJC]

5. A tendency of inanimate things to unite, or to act on each
other; as, the sympathy between the loadstone and iron.
[R.]
[1913 Webster]

6. Similarity of function, use office, or the like.
[1913 Webster]

The adverb has most sympathy with the verb. --Earle.
[1913 Webster]

Syn: Pity; fellow-feeling; compassion; commiseration;
tenderness; condolence; agreement.

Usage: Sympathy, Commiseration. Sympathy is literally a
fellow-feeling with others in their varied conditions
of joy or of grief. This term, however, is now more
commonly applied to a fellow-feeling with others under
affliction, and then coincides very nearly with
commiseration. In this case it is commonly followed by
for; as, to feel sympathy for a friend when we see him
distressed. The verb sympathize is followed by with;
as, to sympathize with a friend in his distresses or
enjoyments. "Every man would be a distinct species to
himself, were there no sympathy among individuals."
--South. See Pity.
[1913 Webster]

Fault,
Acknowledged and deplored, in Adam wrought
Commiseration. --Milton.
[1913 Webster]

WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) (wn)
sympathy
n 1: an inclination to support or be loyal to or to agree with
an opinion; "his sympathies were always with the underdog";
"I knew I could count on his understanding" [syn:
sympathy, understanding]
2: sharing the feelings of others (especially feelings of sorrow
or anguish)
[syn: sympathy, fellow feeling]
3: a relation of affinity or harmony between people; whatever
affects one correspondingly affects the other; "the two of
them were in close sympathy
"

The cartoon character which the narrator of the cartoon implied showed sympathy showed none of the definitions of sympathy which I have highlighted here. A friend sympathizes. That character showed no friendship nor sympathy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I've always thought of empathy as being the step beyond sympathy, moving past our related experience and into the moment and a direct connection to another's pain. I sympathize with someone who is hurt because I understand what it's like to be hurt. My emotional response comes out of my own recollection of experiencing pain, loss, rejection, etc., but it remains my pain that I'm actually considering and it's taking me into my own past, which removes me on some level from the moment. I believe empathy is my willfully stepping into the pain of another person's experience within the moment.

Gary K

Banned
As I understand it, sympathy says "I care about your pain."

Empathy says "I feel your pain."

I can't say the character supposedly expressing sympathy ever said anything close to "I care about your pain". Everything she said was meant to make the victim feel her pain was minimized, not cared about. And, unless we actually feel someone else's pain, we cannot honestly say we care about it. If someone talked to me like that about something that was really bothering me, I'd just turn around and walk off, for I would not feel that person cared in the least about what I was going through. That character's response was very similar to, Oh well, be glad you're not feeling even worse. That is not sympathy.