Fast Personality Test

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Here's a link to an article covering the twin studies.

A few highlights:

For these twin studies, researchers from Oregon State University, as well as a few from the University of Florida and the University of Notre Dame, set up two scenarios to survey hundreds of students. In the first study of 178 MBA students at an unnamed university, each student was assigned to a small four- or five-person team, and asked to complete a task as a group...At the end, they were asked to complete surveys about their teammates personalities, as well as how competent they thought they were...The big catch was that the teammates weren’t actually teammates: They were fakes manipulated by researchers to either appear more extroverted or more introverted. Their performance in the game was constant. At the end of the exercise, the management students were asked to assign bonuses to their teammates.​

Both studies reached a similar conclusion: The more introverted among the groups tended to view their more extroverted teammates—whether real or fictional—as less capable at their assigned duties. One possible takeaway? Judgments of your job performance are never purely performance-based.

"The magnitude with which introverts underrated performance of extroverts was surprising," said co-author Keith Leavitt, an assistant professor in OSU's College of Business, in a statement. "The results were very consistent across both studies."

:think:

:chuckle: Not reading your excerpts yet, I went straight to the link and saw the title... one of the many memorable lines from an unforgettable movie, Magnolia.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Here's a link to an article covering the twin studies.

A few highlights:

For these twin studies, researchers from Oregon State University, as well as a few from the University of Florida and the University of Notre Dame, set up two scenarios to survey hundreds of students. In the first study of 178 MBA students at an unnamed university, each student was assigned to a small four- or five-person team, and asked to complete a task as a group...At the end, they were asked to complete surveys about their teammates personalities, as well as how competent they thought they were...The big catch was that the teammates weren’t actually teammates: They were fakes manipulated by researchers to either appear more extroverted or more introverted. Their performance in the game was constant. At the end of the exercise, the management students were asked to assign bonuses to their teammates.​

Both studies reached a similar conclusion: The more introverted among the groups tended to view their more extroverted teammates—whether real or fictional—as less capable at their assigned duties. One possible takeaway? Judgments of your job performance are never purely performance-based.

"The magnitude with which introverts underrated performance of extroverts was surprising," said co-author Keith Leavitt, an assistant professor in OSU's College of Business, in a statement. "The results were very consistent across both studies."

:think:

First of all, I like the idea of a "dimmer switch." :chuckle:

Second of all, I'd like to see the study itself, because as fascinating as behavioral studies are, sometimes they make me cringe. I'm wary of generalizing to society at large the results from a small, possibly WEIRD (White, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, Democratic) sample of college students. They're a convenience simple because, well, they're convenient.

178 MBA students.

143 business management students.

And using "coworkers" is misleading. They were "coworkers" only for the limited activity in the research study.

But yeah. Dimmer switch. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
First of all, I like the idea of a "dimmer switch." :chuckle:

Second of all, I'd like to see the study itself, because as fascinating as behavioral studies are, sometimes they make me cringe. I'm wary of generalizing to society at large the results from a small, possibly WEIRD (White, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, Democratic) sample of college students. They're a convenience simple because, well, they're convenient.

178 MBA students.

143 business management students.

And using "coworkers" is misleading. They were "coworkers" only for the limited activity in the research study.

But yeah. Dimmer switch. :chuckle:
:D I think some of our introverts around here have already had their dimmer switch leaned on. It's hard to read them and impossible to see the point. :)

Here's a link to the study as published in the Academy of Management Journal.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
:D I think some of our introverts around here have already had their dimmer switch leaned on. It's hard to read them and impossible to see the point. :)

Here's a link to the study as published in the Academy of Management Journal.

The dimmer switch (preferably in the hands of the introverts) is for the extroverts... :chuckle:

But how could you not see my point? I was very clear.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
From the abstract at your link:

Results from Study 1 showed that introverted (but not extraverted) peers consistently evaluated extraverted and disagreeable (but not introverted and agreeable) individuals’ performance as lower.

Well, yeah....

I was able to access the entire paper through my university library. I've downloaded it to read later.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hey everybody, look, it's Crucible's perfect woman!!! :eek:

What?

Really, TH. Look at my quote from the abstract: how do you not see a problem with the lower evaluation going to "disagreeable" as opposed to "agreeable"?
It's a mystery on the order of Trump supporters. :think: Do I have to spell out everything to get credit for anything around here? :mmph:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Not funny.
It was, but you had to be there. :plain:

Was anything meant to have been about credit?
A fine thing for a college student to ask.

It's a simple question I'm asking. A simple answer would be nice.
If you wanted a simple answer you'd still be talking to Cruc. :eek:

Was that really a question? It seemed more like a statement with questionable punctuation? :think: I may need to get out more.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It was, but you had to be there. :plain:

No. It was funny to you maybe, but not to me.

A fine thing for a college student to ask.

You said "around here." So naturally, that means TOL. In that context, yes - it was a fine thing for me to ask. Does everything come down to "credit" here?

If you wanted a simple answer you'd still be talking to Cruc. :eek:

You have no idea how close you are to the cliff on that one...

Was that really a question? It seemed more like a statement with questionable punctuation? :think: I may need to get out more.

Never mind. I can see you never meant to give me an answer. :e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No. It was funny to you maybe, but not to me.
Then you completely missed where the jab actually landed.

You said "around here." So naturally, that means TOL. In that context, yes - it was a fine thing for me to ask. Does everything come down to "credit" here?
I don't think you've noticed or maybe you're just not in the mood for it, but I'm having a little fun and most of this is pretty cheeky.

You have no idea how close you are to the cliff on that one...
Then it IS like talking to Cruc...son of a gun.

Never mind. I can see you never meant to give me an answer.
Okay, here goes...what's to miss and what's to comment on? That's why I decided, instead, to use the college/credit bit.

Last edited: