What Are You Listening To Now VII

PureX

Prince …

I thought Purple Rain was a great 80s musical film. And in his 'heyday', Prince was an electrifying performer. Big 'mojo' on stage! But when that faded he put his talents to work producing music, and I lost track of him. He was also given to weird conspiracy theories about the "illuminatti" and that bizarre thing with the symbol instead of name.

Seemed like a lot of self-involved foolishness, to me

Anyway, he was an amazing "funkster" and I'm still looking for my favorite clip of him jamming out some classic funk. I think I posted it here, once upon a time.

In the meantime … The Be Good Tanyas

R. I. P., Prince.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Found it!

This is not a YouTube video so I hope the link works …

Now THIS is Prince! Turn it UP!

LINK

That was great. Everyone was having such a good time. :)

I don't think I've ever seen a microphone like that before.

It's really sad to think about him being gone. And so young.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Prince and Cee Lo Green - 'Crazy'

Prince and Cee Lo Green - 'Crazy'

Prince slays it on the guitar on this one! Also LOVE his outfit.

Also, the previous video shared by Purex was the song D.M.S.R. (dance, music, sex, romance) is from the album '1999' (from 1982)....a great album!

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Epic performance of Purple Rain

Epic performance of Purple Rain

Hi all,....the youtube video below has a somewhat poor picture quality but the sound is a bit better and fuller than the video link below, which has a far better picture quality, but suffers a bit in sound production. - if you want to enjoy a crisper picture you can also watch the video link below afterwards, or which ever. Enjoy!

Clearer picture below, but different sound quality -

[video]http://uploadsociety.com/video_v78450[/video]

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Let the music speak for itself....

Let the music speak for itself....

People speak of Prince being a musical genius in his own right. I hear also many say he was an under-rated guitarist. Here he shows these other artists how its done ;) - enjoy!

PureX

Not to belabor the Prince thing too much, but we all know he was top notch funkster, not so many know what an amazing bluesman he was, too.

Check this performance out … just KILLS Hendrick's RED HOUSE and does it with a few friends. Amazing!

LINK

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Not to belabor the Prince thing too much, but we all know he was top notch funkster, not so many know what an amazing bluesman he was, too.

Check this performance out … just KILLS Hendrick's RED HOUSE and does it with a few friends. Amazing!

LINK

AMC is showing screenings of Purple Rain here. I got my ticket online and got to the theater with what I thought was time to spare and the line was way longer than I expected (well, I didn't really know what to expect), but the audience was awesome. Hugely diverse, and very much connected. Pretty much any club crowd scene on the screen had similar action going on in the movie seats, and when Prince started Purple Rain... well, it was just a night to remember. Tonight, and the 80s and Prince. And then there's that line near the end of the credits: "May u live to see the dawn."

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Epic Live performance from 1985

Epic Live performance from 1985

Here is Prince slaying it on the guitar during his 'Purple Rain' era. This performance takes on near 'gospel' heights as Prince says in one part "Let the Lord guide you to the Purple Rain"....and "He says its gonna be alright", etc. Its possible that here he taps into his religious roots and 'faith', the same 'source' that inspired his musical artistry and creativity. I just share this as an observation, and enjoying the tributes all over the world going on as we celebrate the part Prince played in the last 4 decades of pop-culture and beyond.

Selaphiel

Tom Waits' debut album "Closing Time" is one of my favorite albums

And those were the days of roses, poetry and prose
And Martha all I had was you and all you had was me.
There was no tomorrows, we'd packed away our sorrows
And we saved them for a rainy day.