Please, split your infinitives

rexlunae

Recently, I read an article about that discussed Steven Pinker's contention that the prescription against splitting infinitives is a bogus rule, and that there is no reason to have it. I would argue that, not only is that rule bogus, and that it represents a blatant Latinism, but that most of the time, when you can split an infinitive, you should.

The example that is most commonly given is the phrase from Star Trek, which should tell you something about how recent this form of misplaced grammatical pedantry actually is. It is argued that the phrase "...to boldly go..." should be written "...boldly to go..." or "...to go boldly...".

In Latin, and in many other languages, there is a part of speech called an infinitive. In English, we don't genuinely have such a thing. English has what you could call an "infinitive phrase". Like a prepositional phrase, it begins with a short work, "to", but unlike a prepositional phrase, it ends with a verb instead of a noun. Since it has a beginning marker and an ending, it can encompass any number of modifying words without confusion or ambiguity.

If that were the entire story, it would be enough to simply throw out the rule against splitting infinitives. But there is more. In English, and in many other languages, there is also a rule demanding that modifying words not be separated more than necessary from the words that they modify. In the simple case, this means that if we follow the prohibition against cleft infinitives, we are at least adding the separation of a "to" in the case where we move the descriptor forward. If we place it after the verb, it threatens to separate the verb from its object, where there is one. This may be entirely reasonable, if the modifier is meant to apply to the association between the verb and its object "to go boldly to war" as opposed to "to boldly go to war", but there is a slight semantic nuance to the association by position (describing how you go versus how you go to war).

For that reason, I would argue that placing a modifier for an infinitive in front of the "to" should be considered either wrong, or at least less than ideal. People who are learning English who place the modifier in front of the "to" should be gently corrected. Split your infinitives, people.

Here's the article:
http://www.motherjones.com/environm...minds-steven-pinker-style-bogus-grammar-rules

Caledvwlch

Recently, I read an article about that discussed Steven Pinker's contention that the prescription against splitting infinitives is a bogus rule, and that there is no reason to have it. I would argue that, not only is that rule bogus, and that it represents a blatant Latinism, but that most of the time, when you can split an infinitive, you should.

The example that is most commonly given is the phrase from Star Trek, which should tell you something about how recent this form of misplaced grammatical pedantry actually is. It is argued that the phrase "...to boldly go..." should be written "...boldly to go..." or "...to go boldly...".

In Latin, and in many other languages, there is a part of speech called an infinitive. In English, we don't genuinely have such a thing. English has what you could call an "infinitive phrase". Like a prepositional phrase, it begins with a short work, "to", but unlike a prepositional phrase, it ends with a verb instead of a noun. Since it has a beginning marker and an ending, it can encompass any number of modifying words without confusion or ambiguity.

If that were the entire story, it would be enough to simply throw out the rule against splitting infinitives. But there is more. In English, and in many other languages, there is also a rule demanding that modifying words not be separated more than necessary from the words that they modify. In the simple case, this means that if we follow the prohibition against cleft infinitives, we are at least adding the separation of a "to" in the case where we move the descriptor forward. If we place it after the verb, it threatens to separate the verb from its object, where there is one. This may be entirely reasonable, if the modifier is meant to apply to the association between the verb and its object "to go boldly to war" as opposed to "to boldly go to war", but there is a slight semantic nuance to the association by position (describing how you go versus how you go to war).

For that reason, I would argue that placing a modifier for an infinitive in front of the "to" should be considered either wrong, or at least less than ideal. People who are learning English who place the modifier in front of the "to" should be gently corrected. Split your infinitives, people.

Here's the article:
http://www.motherjones.com/environm...minds-steven-pinker-style-bogus-grammar-rules

I'm totally with you on this one. I feel like I read something similar recently on some other raving liberal :)chuckle:) website. Probably Slate.

rexlunae

I'm totally with you on this one. I feel like I read something similar recently on some other raving liberal :)chuckle:) website. Probably Slate.

I'd be interested if you happen to find that article again. I've heard a lot of people argue that it's fine to split infinitives, but I don't think I've seen anyone else argue that it should be mandatory or preferred.

Caledvwlch

I'd be interested if you happen to find that article again. I've heard a lot of people argue that it's fine to split infinitives, but I don't think I've seen anyone else argue that it should be mandatory or preferred.

I was just looking through my FB feed for it. No luck so far. The one I'm thinking of made arguments against quite a few different grammar "rules."

nikolai_42

Here's the article:

Come on! Why should we care about such trifles when prepositions are terminating sentences all over the place!

Buzzword

First rule of grammar: As long as meaning is conveyed and understood, prescriptive rules don't matter.

Especially given that most of them are for writing, not speech, and since we use speech much more often than writing, speech "rules" tend to be more pervasive than writing rules.

BUT, again, if meaning is conveyed and understood, the rules do not matter.

I say this as a grammar Nazi with an English degree.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:up:

To frivolously end sentences with prepositions is something I get a great deal of joy from.
When I read this, it reminded me of an episode on Designing Women.

Charlene recalls a story about a Southern woman who goes to this la-dee-da cocktail party in New York City. She turns to a refined and well dressed Northern woman and says,
"Where y'all from?"

The snooty Northern woman looks down her nose says,
"We're from where we don't end our sentences with a preposition."

So the Southern woman looks at her and says,
"Oh,well then, where y'all from, xxxxx!" (enter female dog)

genuineoriginal

Please, split your infinitives
Spoiler
367-infinity-is-eight-troll-physics.png

rainee

To be
or
not to be

OR

to really really really be
or to really really really NOT be

That is the question

(from: using words as emoticons...
and sentences as emotional pulses by rainee)