The Nature of Psychology

Volts

Some people think that psychology as an academic discipline presupposes anti-Christian views of man. Hence, they would argue that there is no such thing as psychology from a Christian perspective. They would say that Christian psychology is an oxymoron. What do you think of this?

Spitfire

I don't think psychology is fundamentally anti-Christian or pro-Christian in and of itself. As with philosophy, it's one's own preferences and prejudices that make it so. People also still sometimes forget that not all psychology is Freudian psychology.

Volts

I don't think psychology is fundamentally anti-Christian or pro-Christian in and of itself. As with philosophy, it's one's own preferences and prejudices that make it so. People also still sometimes forget that not all psychology is Freudian psychology.

That is what I thought as well. Just because it is dominated by non-Christians does not mean that it is inherently anti-Christian.

wonka

THE PSYCHOLOGY QUESTIONS; 1;ARE YOU A THREAT TO YOURSELF, & 2; ARE YOU A THREAT TO ANYONE ELSE. THE REST FOLLOWS THESE 2 QUESTIONS. THAT HAS BEEN THE EXTENT OF MY SO CALLED TREATMENT (in addition to meds), for the past 3 of 11 years of so called TREATMENT. IT BOGGLES THE MIND HOW SAD THIS IS. THEN THEY WONDER, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED WHEN SOMETHING DOES HAPPEN. IF I HAD NO "CHRIST" TO REALLY SAVE ME, NO TELLING. ONE SHOULD NEVER LEAVE A PSYCHS OFFICE FEELING WORSE THEN WHEN THEY WALKED IN. WHERE IS THE culpability THEN? THANK YOU LORD, FOR NO psych SHOULD BE CALLED A PROFESSIONAL. ESPECIALLY WHEN THE OATH IS "DO NO HARM TO YOUR HOSPITAL", THEN MAYBE, DO NO HARM TO THE PATIENT.

Buzzword

Some people think that psychology as an academic discipline presupposes anti-Christian views of man. Hence, they would argue that there is no such thing as psychology from a Christian perspective. They would say that Christian psychology is an oxymoron. What do you think of this?

These people are idiots.

Psychology presupposes that our motivations and thought processes are understandable, are the result of some identifiable cause, and can be modified for the betterment of individuals and society.

That's pretty much everything that all psychologists agree upon.
From that base, everyone branches out in a different direction, in some cases overlapping with philosophy.

Because the field of psychology has gone through so many different branchings over the years, it's impossible to pin down the entire field as one thing or another.

Aside from neurology and behavioral studies, much of psychology seems to be subjective to the particular observer.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Psychology is merely the study of mind. It's a difficult and still-young science, but there are important findings that have been useful in making lives better.

Or in many cases, worse. No different than engineering. It depends on what you use it to do.

It was a psychologist who accurately determined that my oldest son's depression was a matter of brain chemistry, and that the right medication and an occasional visit to check how things were working would make his life entirely better than it had been for years.

I am grateful for that. He might have died; I had no idea how far he had gone before we realized what was wrong.

He is my hero; I don't know if I could have handled what he did, without falling apart.

GFR7

There are Christian philosophers and psychologists and existentialists. Christianity is not opposed to psychology; Jesus used psychology in his parables.

Thunder's Muse

These people are idiots.

I'm pretty darn smart, actually :)

Psychology presupposes that our motivations and thought processes are understandable, are the result of some identifiable cause, and can be modified for the betterment of individuals and society.

You don't agree?

In my case, it's very true.

That's pretty much everything that all psychologists agree upon.
From that base, everyone branches out in a different direction, in some cases overlapping with philosophy.

Because the field of psychology has gone through so many different branchings over the years, it's impossible to pin down the entire field as one thing or another.

Aside from neurology and behavioral studies, much of psychology seems to be subjective to the particular observer.

I can agree with most of this. A lot of it is what you make of it.

Psychology is merely the study of mind. It's a difficult and still-young science, but there are important findings that have been useful in making lives better.

Or in many cases, worse. No different than engineering. It depends on what you use it to do.

It was a psychologist who accurately determined that my oldest son's depression was a matter of brain chemistry, and that the right medication and an occasional visit to check how things were working would make his life entirely better than it had been for years.

I am grateful for that. He might have died; I had no idea how far he had gone before we realized what was wrong.

He is my hero; I don't know if I could have handled what he did, without falling apart.

I'm glad your son found a good psychologist. There are a lot of bad ones out there.

JosephR

The Nature of Psychology

THE PSYCHOLOGY QUESTIONS; 1;ARE YOU A THREAT TO YOURSELF, & 2; ARE YOU A THREAT TO ANYONE ELSE. THE REST FOLLOWS THESE 2 QUESTIONS. THAT HAS BEEN THE EXTENT OF MY SO CALLED TREATMENT (in addition to meds), for the past 3 of 11 years of so called TREATMENT. IT BOGGLES THE MIND HOW SAD THIS IS. THEN THEY WONDER, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED WHEN SOMETHING DOES HAPPEN. IF I HAD NO "CHRIST" TO REALLY SAVE ME, NO TELLING. ONE SHOULD NEVER LEAVE A PSYCHS OFFICE FEELING WORSE THEN WHEN THEY WALKED IN. WHERE IS THE culpability THEN? THANK YOU LORD, FOR NO psych SHOULD BE CALLED A PROFESSIONAL. ESPECIALLY WHEN THE OATH IS "DO NO HARM TO YOUR HOSPITAL", THEN MAYBE, DO NO HARM TO THE PATIENT.

Well one should have their head examined for goin to a psychologist and insisting they have a problem:)

JosephR

Did the medicine cure the cause or effect?

JosephR

I'm pretty darn smart, actually :)

You don't agree?

In my case, it's very true.

I can agree with most of this. A lot of it is what you make of it.

I'm glad your son found a good psychologist. There are a lot of bad ones out there.

I agree TM psychology , just assumes the body an mind at first tell the truth, then the ego or self applies the lies to cover it up.. Usually involuntary actions tell the most truth but trained physicians in this field have studied usually what the voluntary actions point to.

Thunder's Muse

I agree TM psychology , just assumes the body an mind at first tell the truth, then the ego or self applies the lies to cover it up.. Usually involuntary actions tell the most truth but trained physicians in this field have studied usually what the voluntary actions point to.

My issues all had a definate beginning point, outside of myself.

JosephR

My issues all had a definate beginning point, outside of myself.

Yes but the way they affect you is what I am talking about . If you can easily define the starting point of your problems then I imagine you had a successful journey with your doctor.

Thunder's Muse

Yes but the way they affect you is what I am talking about .

Perhaps I misread what you posted. Can you elaborate?

If you can easily define the starting point of your problems then I imagine you had a successful journey with your doctor.

I understand everything about my past issues. I was obsessive with it and did a lot of the 'work' by myself, outside of appointments.

JosephR

Perhaps I misread what you posted. Can you elaborate?

I understand everything about my past issues. I was obsessive with it and did a lot of the 'work' by myself, outside of appointments.

I was just going over some basic psychology I remember , about how a involuntary action, say your eyes get big, pupils dilate ect ect tell more truth then when we speak words... The words have had time to be processed thru the self and ego and ran thru a gambit of qualifying definitions before it can be spoken.. The involuntary however is as close to truth as we can get.

Thunder's Muse

I was just going over some basic psychology I remember , about how a involuntary action, say your eyes get big, pupils dilate ect ect tell more truth then when we speak words... The words have had time to be processed thru the self and ego and ran thru a gambit of qualifying definitions before it can be spoken.. The involuntary however is as close to truth as we can get.

Absolutely. I'm pretty good at reading that stuff :)

The words people choose can say a lot, too....but I tend to be the only one who thinks that :chuckle:

JosephR

Absolutely. I'm pretty good at reading that stuff :)

The words people choose can say a lot, too....but I tend to be the only one who thinks that :chuckle:

OH yes you are totally right about the words... but then the detective work goes on, what are they saying, why are they saying that, is it truth or lie ect ect ect .. if you can read the actions as well as words you should try your hand at poker, you would prolly be successful :)

Thunder's Muse

OH yes you are totally right about the words... but then the detective work goes on, what are they saying, why are they saying that, is it truth or lie ect ect ect .. if you can read the actions as well as words you should try your hand at poker, you would prolly be successful :)

Nah, I'm so bad at card games :chuckle:

I prefer to use them as God leads :)