Question re: material items and how far is "too far"

musterion

My apologies for the long post. Read only if you have absolutely nothing better to do.

For as long as I can recall, my family has been amateur collectors of various items -- the true "for fun and profit" kind of flea market and yard sale scroungers. Nothing really big ticket, usually (though my dad is still sitting on a pristine full set of H.G. Wells' 1st American edition hardbacks, signed in pen by the old heathen himself [Wells, not my dad]). We're able to spot various classes of "collectibles" and resell them for profit (and this pastime predated ebay). I'm sure some of you do the same.

There's very little we actually collected; that is, kept for ourselves. I used to collect a few things but no longer do. However, I do keep my eye open for certain types of items I know or suspect could have profit value...for example, about five years ago I found a sealed bottle of a certain brand of kids chewable vitamins, still in its original box from 1972, in a neglected corner of the basement of a huge antique mall. I think I gave $3 for it and sold it for almost $400. That was fun!

I don't do much of that these days but I do keep an occasional eye on websites where others focus on my former areas of interest.

My two primary areas of interest, as with all areas of collecting, include people who are in it for fun, people who are in it for profit, and people who are in it for both. And then there are true fanatics: guys (and sometimes gals) who MUST hunt down and possess every single widget or variant of this or that product from as far back as the 1910s (I'm being deliberately vague, in case you've not noticed), memorizing details of long forgotten product runs and sometimes building huge, lit display cases in their own little - and sometimes startlingly large - in-home museums. Shrines is what they usually resemble, but I digress.

Today I read a few anecdotes about such people...people who, if asked, are not at all ashamed to tell you of their LOVE (their word) of collecting this or that. Now, some folks can say that just as a figure of speech...they don't really mean it. But these folks are dead serious. They DO love whatever it is. Genuinely.

These are people who -- I've heard variations of this many times -- held on to their "treasure" when all else around them was collapsing...loss of job, bills piling up, divorce, you name it. Some let themselves be reduced to bumming gas money to keep the beater running or living in a friend's basement but steadfastly REFUSED to sell a collection worth, to the right buyer, tens of thousands of dollars. Sometimes much more. To call these people hoarders is incorrect; they're very specific about what they are after and if they can afford it, money is no object. Some would say idol worshipers might be a possible descriptor as well; I wouldn't go that far but greed and covetousness definitely apply.

Well, a nasty fight has broken out at one of these boards over a few guys (a minority) who say such extreme behavior as I've just described is a sign of poor mental hygiene if not mental illness, while others - while admitting it's a bit extreme - say "Hey, it's their money, it's their lives, not your problem so shut up." A few naturally piped up to say "More power to 'em! They can have my ______ when they throw dirt in my face, I'd NEVER sell it!"

None of these people, by the way, profess to be Christians nor take any particularly moral stance either way, as far as I can detect.

Question:
what would you do if, say, a family member displayed behavior such as described above? Would you try to convince them to sell off the junk that they're not taking to the grave with them anyway? Would you intervene at all, knowing that if you did they might never speak to you again? No, I have no personal reason for asking nor am I asking "for a friend." Just curious how people here would react.

GFR7

I think whether you call it "mental illness" (probably some kind of obsessive-compulsive disorder) or "coveting" or "idolatry", it is problematic.

Intervention isn't an easy thing, and it doesn't always work, either.

I would speak with such a family member but I wouldn't carry it too far (for instance, in the way I would if the person had a compulsion to kill or harm other people).

GFR7

By the way, the type of collecting you describe you and your family doing does NOT sound problematic; only the kind where they are letting the bills go unpaid, etc.

Thunder's Muse

Interesting question....

I guess it depends on what that collection means to the person. It may have a much deeper meaning for them than simply a dollar value.

I have a Momento Mori mourning pin that belonged to my Great Grandmother. It's for her sister who died of tuberculosis when she was 20 years old. I loved my Great Grandmother and I truly treasure this small item she gave me. It would be a very hard thing for me to part with...

However, I also have 3 children and the from moment they were born, it was no longer about me, regardless of the sacrifices I was required to make. If selling my pin would keep the roof over our heads, there is no real choice....that's my opinion of course :)

musterion

Interesting question....

I guess it depends on what that collection means to the person. It may have a much deeper meaning for them than simply a dollar value.

That's the point, sorry if it didn't come across. These are people with MASSIVE STOCKPILES of whatever it is they collect, and they're willing to part with just about anything or anyone else in their lives than their treasured treasure, no matter how dire their lives turn. They don't just say that's what they'll do in bad circumstances. They prove it.

I have a Momento Mori mourning pin that belonged to my Great Grandmother. It's for her sister who died of tuberculosis when she was 20 years old. I loved my Great Grandmother and I truly treasure this small item she gave me. It would be a very hard thing for me to part with...
Not the same thing, imo. Mere sentiment is what you describe, nothing wrong with that in itself. I'm talking about something disturbing.

However, I also have 3 children and the from moment they were born, it was no longer about me, regardless of the sacrifices I was required to make. If selling my pin would keep the roof over our heads, there is no real choice....that's my opinion of course :)
Some months ago, I sold off the last of my remaining collected items before moving out of state, some of which I'd had since childhood. Didn't hurt in the least to do it though at one point in my life (pre-Christian) I wouldn't have dreamed of doing it.

Thunder's Muse

That's the point, sorry if it didn't come across. These are people with MASSIVE STOCKPILES of whatever it is they collect, and they're willing to part with just about anything or anyone else in their lives than their treasured treasure, no matter how dire their lives turn. They don't just say that's what they'll do in bad circumstances. They prove it.

Ok. What CAN you say to them? If it's a mental illness thing, they must see it before they can change it. If it's a conscious decision, the consequence is theirs alone. Tricky one, huh?

Not the same thing, imo. Mere sentiment is what you describe, nothing wrong with that in itself. I'm talking about something disturbing.

I'm a sentimental kinda girl :)

Some months ago, I sold off the last of my remaining collected items before moving out of state, some of which I'd had since childhood. Didn't hurt in the least to do it though at one point in my life (pre-Christian) I wouldn't have dreamed of doing it.

I love seeing changes in myself. It's how I know I'm growing :)

musterion

Ok. What CAN you say to them?

Now you're seeing why I asked the question!

If it's a mental illness thing,
Whatever "mental illness" really is or isn't, but that's another discussion I'm not about to get into tonight...

they must see it before they can change it.
True.

If it's a conscious decision, the consequence is theirs alone.
Also true.

Tricky one, huh?
Not really. Notice I didn't answer how I'd deal with the situation myself: I'd be in gentle mode for about 15 seconds, then, if unresponsive, no more tea and sympathy. But that's just me.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Today I read a few anecdotes about such people...people who, if asked, are not at all ashamed to tell you of their LOVE (their word) of collecting this or that. Now, some folks can say that just as a figure of speech...they don't really mean it. But these folks are dead serious. They DO love whatever it is. Genuinely.

These are people who -- I've heard variations of this many times -- held on to their "treasure" when all else around them was collapsing...loss of job, bills piling up, divorce, you name it. Some let themselves be reduced to bumming gas money to keep the beater running or living in a friend's basement but steadfastly REFUSED to sell a collection worth, to the right buyer, tens of thousands of dollars. Sometimes much more. To call these people hoarders is incorrect; they're very specific about what they are after and if they can afford it, money is no object. Some would say idol worshipers might be a possible descriptor as well; I wouldn't go that far but greed and covetousness definitely apply.

Well, a nasty fight has broken out at one of these boards over a few guys (a minority) who say such extreme behavior as I've just described is a sign of poor mental hygiene if not mental illness, while others - while admitting it's a bit extreme - say "Hey, it's their money, it's their lives, not your problem so shut up." A few naturally piped up to say "More power to 'em! They can have my ______ when they throw dirt in my face, I'd NEVER sell it!"

None of these people, by the way, profess to be Christians nor take any particularly moral stance either way, as far as I can detect.

Question:
what would you do if, say, a family member displayed behavior such as described above? Would you try to convince them to sell off the junk that they're not taking to the grave with them anyway? Would you intervene at all, knowing that if you did they might never speak to you again? No, I have no personal reason for asking nor am I asking "for a friend." Just curious how people here would react.

I think its a form of idolotry, and i would ask them why those things mean more to them than anything else, one would need to know that first, before being able to help them.

musterion

I think its a form of idolotry, and i would ask them why those things mean more to them than anything else, one would need to know that first, before being able to help them.

That's probably where such a discussion will have to end up, if no light gets through on other fronts first (sheer practical concerns, etc). And maybe even if it does.

JosephR

to the materialist, there is NEVER enough stuff you can obtain... thats the point, the more you have the more your worth, and can a man ever get to a point and say, I have reached my worth and need no more? lol I dont think anyone has ever said that, not a materialist anyways.

But to a child I would recommend collecting baseball cards or stamps. and with guidance the child can learn the difference between worth, and value .

Truster

If a person is truly converted and what they are doing is beyond what is allowed then the Almighty will intervene and put a stop to it….100% guaranteed. He's done so with me on a number of occasions.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I think we should all also ask ourselves what we would do if we were able to possess something of value that was also quite valuable to us. For instance, if I could get my hands on a mint condition Action Comics #1 I would never want to sell that thing. But it is worth a lot. Ex.: one in the best condition ever seen recently sold for over $3 Million.

You're just not going to change people (something this site makes abundantly clear). Unless people change from their hearts they'll continue as they always have.

I always think of my best friend here (well, here in Alaska but now lives several hundred miles away from where I do). In the early 80's he decided to move from Fairbanks to a coastal town about 500 miles south. As far as I'm concerned, he has the best attitude toward letting things (people) alone to screw their lives up as they may. His family isn't the worst but they are now going through their Mom's wealth like grass trough a goose. My friend knew all along that's exactly what would happen and just wrote the whole thing off decades ago. His mom is now in her 90's and worships the other kids who, of course, can do no wrong even though they've been in and out of jail several times. One of his brothers lost every penny of every investment he's ever made. Now he's "investing" their Mom's money in the Stock Market. Worse yet is that they have some nice land and this brother keeps bulldozing it looking for gold. Guess where he's living, BTW---yep, with his mother and he's almost 60.

The best thing my friend ever did for himself was to never plug into that mess and just live his own life (now if he'd just find Jesus).

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I think we should all also ask ourselves what we would do if we were able to possess something of value that was also quite valuable to us. For instance, if I could get my hands on a mint condition Action Comics #1 I would never want to sell that thing. But it is worth a lot. Ex.: one in the best condition ever seen recently sold for over $3 Million.

Thats one thing, but would you fill your home with comics and spend all your money on them, and allow a wife to leave you over it, and alienate everyone around you and need to beg for money for gas or food instead of selling off some of the comics so you would able to live and provide for your family?