My doctor is retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I've gone to the same doctor for about 35 years. We are of an age, and we have something of a friendship.

A few days ago, I was in for my checkup, and he asked me about retirement. I said that I didn't have a goal for retirement yet, and that I was having too much fun to quit right now.

We talked about how life was going to change in retirement, and then I left. I'm a little unsettled about it. I like two other doctors in his group, but I'll miss him. We got old together, talked about it, and I got to trust him a lot.

I guess that's another of the problems with getting old. Two years ago, Mrs. B's OB/Gyn retired, and she went through the same thing. Just sad.

PureX

Everything changes, sooner or later. Unfortunately, getting older is mostly an experience of losing things that we once took for granted. Our 'era' is passing away and a new era begins, with new people and new circumstances. I don't mind, though. They should have their turn at the wheel, too. I just hope they won't run over me before it's my time to go.

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92532

GFR7

I have the same fear with my doctor who is semi-retired.
I know that at some point he will fully retire, and he is irreplaceable.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I've gone to the same dentist since I was a kid. I know what you mean, I've thought about when he retires also. Through the years, I've found out just how many people I know have gone to him too and I didn't know it until it came up in conversation or we met up in the waiting room. One of the things I'll miss is the absolute trust I have in him. I totally trust him not to suggest work that doesn't need to be done, and to do a really good job at a fair fee. I really appreciate how he's been there for all of us all these years.

elohiym

Six posts in, and already it's Obama's fault.

Did I say that? No.
Several people have told me their doctors are retiring early, and they said Obama care was a factor.
I'm just curious if that is the reason for his doctor retiring, too.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Was he planning to retire, or does it have to do with Obama care?

Biggest thing was pre-Obama. The act that prevented doctors from talking together about fees, but allowed insurance companies to collude as they would. And, of course, the act that gave most companies immunity from lawsuits if they wrongly denied care that killed a patient.

He figures the traditional medical group practice has about 5 years to go, unless a government option becomes available.

PureX

Biggest thing was pre-Obama. The act that prevented doctors from talking together about fees, but allowed insurance companies to collude as they would. And, of course, the act that gave most companies immunity from lawsuits if they wrongly denied care that killed a patient.

He figures the traditional medical group practice has about 5 years to go, unless a government option becomes available.
In my area two big insurance conglomerates have bought up both the hospitals and nearly all of the various local medical practice groups, and are threatening not to honor their competitor's insurance policies. My sister buys the drugs for the largest hospital in town, and according to her their policies have set the hospital back by 15 years in terms of patient safety, simply because they have a 'one-size-fits-all' mentality about inventory, ordering, and distribution procedures, and because all their decisions are based on maximizing profits, rather than maximizing safety and service to patients. They have chased away a third of the staff with policy and pay changes and will not hire new people, so everyone is having to work longer hours, and they are all tired and frustrated. Not a good environment for a hospital.

But, I'm sure Obama will be blamed for all this, too, somehow.

elohiym

Thanks. I was curious.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Thanks. I was curious.

I checked. He's also pretty hacked about the requirement for digital record-keeping, which has the good point of allowing an ER to get your records quickly in an out-of-town emergency, but raises costs for small practices, and increases the danger of security lapses.

So some of it has to do with Obama, I think. I'm not that worried. We're still in pretty good health. I just want to be able to travel and enjoy life for a few more years.

15077922936_ec35e3e53b_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.