Why men should not discuss rape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
1. They are men.
2. Most men have neither raped nor been a rape victim.
3. Men think no means not now.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1. They are men.

Men's participation is the discussion of rape exposes quite a lot about a man's character.

john w

Hall of Fame
1. They are men.

Why women should not discuss alien abductions.

1. They are women.

2. Most women have neither abducted, nor been an abduction victim.

3. Women think, "Light years...Beam me out," means, "I need another shot of Jim Beam, as time is running out...last call."

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Men's participation is the discussion of rape exposes quite a lot about a man's character.
I tend to agree. Eesets on ignore, but I saw her points reflected and want to address them...

Originally posted by Eeset

1. They are men.
Sad notion. Someone I loved was raped. The damage of that spread out across a number of people, male and female. It was the most helpless, painful sort of feeling, wanting to comfort and being keenly aware that my gender was in some part a bar to that, watching the loneliness of that process of healing...just horrible.

A rapists opinion would be welcomed in any event? God forbid. And you don't have to have been raped to have empathy, compassion or to have been harmed by that particular violation.

That makes me feel really good about having Eeset on ignore. It's a trivial, off handed and horrifically inappropriate one-off or worse, evidence of a profoundly ignorant mindset. Either way, while I felt obliged to set this out I'm glad I won't have to read whatever drivel she might post to answer it.

john w

Hall of Fame
Often much more than they realize.

Women should not discuss "The Three Stooges."

1. They are women.

2. Most women have neither poked someone in the eye, or been poked in the eye, have never given a "Larry Fein" haircut, or been the victim of a "Larry Fein" haircut.

3. Women think, "Calling Dr, Moe, Dr. Howard, Dr. Larry,"means "General Hospital" is on.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Are you being serious?

It would honestly depend on the man discussing the issue. For those who use phrases such as *legitimate rape* and talk about "well she shouldn't have been wearing" then I would agree.

In most instances, it's something a man will not experience even though they may certainly empathize. Anyone who is incapable of understanding the nature and devastation of rape really has nothing constructive to offer a rape victim.

In the same way that some husbands are welcome to participate in the birth of their child, there will always be the insensitive cretin who will say "oh what a big whiner you are".

The best standard to use towards someone who has no desire to help or comfort a rape victim is to tell them to stay away. Their input would be harmful.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
That makes me feel really good about having Eeset on ignore. It's a trivial, off handed and horrifically inappropriate one-off or worse, evidence of a profoundly ignorant mindset. Either way, while I felt obliged to set this out I'm glad I won't have to read whatever drivel she might post to answer it.

Actually Eeset is right, a good many men think no means not now and that no really means yes.

rexlunae

Actually Eeset is right, a good many men think no means not now and that no really means yes.

We can be an obtuse lot, us men, but I don't think that discouraging us from talking about it is likely to be anything other than counterproductive. Even the "legitimate rape" type comments need to be discussed openly if they exist as thoughts behind male eyeballs so that they can be refuted.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

That's not what she said, Angel. She said:

Not some men, not most men, not a sliver of...just men. It was a deplorable comment and I noted it. Female victims of rape have sons, husbands, boyfriends, fathers, friends...any number of people who will grieve for and with them.

Anyone who thinks that's the rule, let alone an absolute one, needs their heads examined. I'm sure you don't, being the mother of one of my gender who I am confident would have understood and honored the difference between yes and no.

genuineoriginal

Why men should not discuss rape.

No one should discuss rape.
Not men.
Not women.

The rapist should be put to death publically by the hands of the people in the community and nothing more would ever need to be said.

But, we aren't living according to God's laws.
We live in a culture that puts women at high risk for getting raped and the people responsible for creating this high risk culture are praised as if they did a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.