Filtering an Internet Connection for "Adult" Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippy2006

I've been asked about how to best filter for inappropriate content, especially at the network level. So far I've found two pretty solid free solutions, but only the first will work at a network level:

There are also paid solutions like NetNanny, Norton, CovenantEyes, etc.

I like OpenDNS best because it works on an entire network, is very easy to set up, and does not require maintenance or attention. Does anyone else have any tips or alternatives? Things that have worked or haven't? This seems to be an oft-overlooked area of family security.

In particular I am interested in a robust way of doing router-logging, preferably with unique identifiers generated from a login mechanism. Such a thing would presumably generate some accountability. It would also give insight into what sorts of things are being accessed and provide an avenue for re-assessment or change of tactics.

Thanks,
-zip :e4e:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OpenDNS is how Obama filtered Fox News early in 2009 after he was sworn in. They blocked the website. So it works.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I use Procon Latte. It allows me to choose what it replaces profanity with, and I chose "pumpernickel." It's pretty funny and it's actually causing me to curb my swearing.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Sit there with them when they are on the internet, thats a really good filter

Better yet use keystroke tracking software and see what they're doing. (and nip it in the bud) You might be surprised....and shocked as I was. :shocked:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The newer Cisco (Linksys) routers contain methods of filtering content, logging, and site access logs. You can also restrict times for internet access, set specific machines, etc.

Best is to cough up $100 for eBlaster or the equivalent.

AMR

Status
Not open for further replies.