The Omnibox: all things television

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Yeah. That irked me almost as much as Deadwood. Maybe more given the way it ended. I guess that means he died. :eek:

And it was doing good with ratings too. I don't get it. The lead has already moved on to a trashy piece of cable tv on another network. Too bad. It was a good show.
Yeah.

I wonder how many of you out there are Dish or Directv or cable subscribers and how that breaks down. I know some of you may be over the air and Netflix or Hulu folks. I'm considering my options in the coming year.

I was with Directv for a long while, but the quality kept declining as the price continued to rise. I've been with Dish a little over a year and have to say their DVR and pricing leaves Direct in the rear view, but I'm considering buying my own Tivo and using over the air and subscription to augment, given it appears I can get just about everything I'm getting now and for considerably less outlay, except for the start up. :think:

Anyone else thinking about that sort of thing or have experience with it they'd like to share?
I loved Dish when I had it. Now I'm dealing with AT&T U-Verse because that's what my roommate had when I moved in, and he won't change it. Not even to save money.:doh: I hate it, compared to Dish. If he watched as much TV as I do he might think differently, though.

The worst is the guide and search functionality. Dish is much easier to navigate in the guide because you can skip a specified amount of time, whereas AT&T allows you to go bit by bit or skip 24 hours, but nothing else. And Dish search saves your searches so you don't have to type them in every time.

SaulToPaul 2

I've had Dish (back when it was Dish Network) and Directv.
Liked them both. Very happy with AT&T U-Verse currently.

I was also happy for 6 months with just rabbit ears, a couple years ago, and $100 richer.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
i pulled the plug in 04 :idunno:

since then i've watched the soprano's series and heroes online

and gotten a lot more stuff done :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Longmire will not be renewed for a third season by the Arts and Entertainment network. The critically well received ensemble piece was the network's second most popular show, but the demographic skewed older and they apparently don't care for that audience.

So I say let's help A&E and tell them to go skew themselves by not watching any more of their programming. Let them see how many of those twenty somethings with attention deficit disorder will spend time and money on them. :mmph:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Looking forward to the new Homeland, will be interesting to see how the plot moves forward.

I need to catch up with this one, watched the first two episodes.

Evo
Great production values. Good cast. So far I've been pleasantly surprised.

Evoken

Great production values. Good cast. So far I've been pleasantly surprised.

Yeah production values are definitely high and Stoll is a solid lead, I liked his work on House of Cards.

Also, didn't see the show listed, no one liked True Detective? It is only one season so far but it was really good.

Evo

Selaphiel

True Detective was fantastic.

I recently finished season 1-3 of Hell on Wheels. Quite enjoy that show as well

At the moment I am not watching much. Waiting for Homeland season 3 to come out on DVD here.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
and the episode where opie kills the mother bird with his slingshot and andy helps him raise the chicks and let them go?

excellent!

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wonder how many of you out there are Dish or Directv or cable subscribers and how that breaks down. I know some of you may be over the air and Netflix or Hulu folks. I'm considering my options in the coming year.

I was with Directv for a long while, but the quality kept declining as the price continued to rise. I've been with Dish a little over a year and have to say their DVR and pricing leaves Direct in the rear view, but I'm considering buying my own Tivo and using over the air and subscription to augment, given it appears I can get just about everything I'm getting now and for considerably less outlay, except for the start up. :think:

Anyone else thinking about that sort of thing or have experience with it they'd like to share?

I got annoyed with my cable company close to four years ago, so I cancelled my internet and cable with them and signed up with Dish. I liked their service okay with the exception of their the DVR. Also, I was able to purchase individual channels for $2.00 that were not included in my package.

I went to Direct TV with a bundle package that included phone and internet. I love the ease of the DVR though I don't care for the guide as much. So far, I am planning to keep Direct TV when my contract expires (and the DSL internet) though I may ditch the phone service.

Evoken

True Detective was fantastic.

Yeah it was really great. Eight episodes, short, sweet and to the point; with stellar performances all around and a beautiful cinematography. One of the highlights for me technically speaking was the long tracking shot they did at the ending of the fourth episode. They went all Alfonso Cuaron there.

Looking forward to what they do next. It is going to be an entirely different cast and setting for the second season.

Evo

elohiym

Haven't watched much series television in recent years, but when the kids invite me to watch (actually, to fall asleep watching), I've enjoyed Sherlock, Once Upon Time, and recently Psych (until I fall asleep :chuckle:).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
With so much concentration on 20 somethings on American Networks (see the recent cancellation of A&E's Longmire and CBS's Vegas to make way) it's heartening to see not every production company or network is phobic about an aging population base as fans. Case in point, BBC America. More particularly on point, the newest incarnation of the immensely popular series Dr. Who, played this time around by 56 year old Peter Capaldi.

With two episodes under the broadcast belt let me be among many to declare the beloved staple is in more than competent hands. This Dr appears to be a more restrained (in terms of theatrics) grave and dark incarnation, but one with his own brand of humor and sufficient quirks to satisfy the anticipation of those familiar with previous avatars of the time lord. Clara, side kick of the previous Dr. actually works better with this one, being used more as the humorous foil to real effect. With eleven it sometimes felt like a competition.

Let's hope the rest of the season and series, long as Capaldi's reign lasts, is filled with similar stuff. :thumb:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Longmire will not be renewed for a third season by the Arts and Entertainment network. The critically well received ensemble piece was the network's second most popular show, but the demographic skewed older and they apparently don't care for that audience.

So I say let's help A&E and tell them to go skew themselves by not watching any more of their programming. Let them see how many of those twenty somethings with attention deficit disorder will spend time and money on them. :mmph:
They also canceled The Glades, which upset me. But I watch Bates Motel, which is a great show. I didn't like Longmire. As for getting others to boycott A&E do you really expect people to give up Duck Dynasty?

With so much concentration on 20 somethings on American Networks (see the recent cancellation of A&E's Longmire and CBS's Vegas to make way) it's heartening to see not every production company or network is phobic about an aging population base as fans. Case in point, BBC America. More particularly on point, the newest incarnation of the immensely popular series Dr. Who, played this time around by 56 year old Peter Capaldi.

With two episodes under the broadcast belt let me be among many to declare the beloved staple is in more than competent hands. This Dr appears to be a more restrained (in terms of theatrics) grave and dark incarnation, but one with his own brand of humor and sufficient quirks to satisfy the anticipation of those familiar with previous avatars of the time lord. Clara, side kick of the previous Dr. actually works better with this one, being used more as the humorous foil to real effect. With eleven it sometimes felt like a competition.

Let's hope the rest of the season and series, long as Capaldi's reign lasts, is filled with similar stuff. :thumb:
Very enjoyable.

Did you know Peter Capaldi is older than any of the other actors were when they began the role? Matt Smith, before him, was the youngest.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
i hear good things about the new tv show about space

ST_TOS_Cast.jpg

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
They also canceled The Glades, which upset me. But I watch Bates Motel, which is a great show. I didn't like Longmire. As for getting others to boycott A&E do you really expect people to give up Duck Dynasty?
:idunno: Probably not, but it irked me so...

Very enjoyable.

Did you know Peter Capaldi is older than any of the other actors were when they began the role? Matt Smith, before him, was the youngest.
Really? I'd have thought at least the first would have been older. I have to admit not being sure about the choice, but the initial two episodes have exceeded my expectations and ended any concern I had about the his ability to take on the role. There's something vaguely Hugh Laurie about the way I see Capaldi taking on the role.

Happy to watch his run.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Really? I'd have thought at least the first would have been older. I have to admit not being sure about the choice, but the initial two episodes have exceeded my expectations and ended any concern I had about the his ability to take on the role. There's something vaguely Hugh Laurie about the way I see Capaldi taking on the role.

Happy to watch his run.
Hartnell was about a year or two younger when he the show began in 1963.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Strain...as per my earlier nod, well acted and produced serial/limited run horror/vampire story, sort of.
Love to watch this with the shades drawn and in the dark. A show that lingers with me afterwards creeping into daily reality. In retrospect I should have just waited for the entire season to conclude and binge watched it. That said, I probably would be creeping around the house all day jumping at every odd noise. ;)

I am going to predict the eventual demise of Setrakian with Vasiliy taking up the mantle.

The Master - Who knew?

AMR

glorydaz

Love to watch this with the shades drawn and in the dark. A show that lingers with me afterwards creeping into daily reality. In retrospect I should have just waited for the entire season to conclude and binge watched it. That said, I probably would be creeping around the house all day jumping at every odd noise. ;)

I am going to predict the eventual demise of Setrakian with Vasiliy taking up the mantle.

The Master - Who knew?

AMR

Who knew you'd be watching that stuff? :rotfl: