The Omnibox: all things television

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Right now I have a desktop hand me down, I like it. In about a year I will get a laptop and a hdtv and connect those and go wireless. It's all going to be new to me and will be looking for advice then. I only use a computer for TOL, email, googling things and music.

I don't play games or do much else, although I will be a gamer on some older sports games, I don't need the latest. I'm looking forward to the football and baseball, not having played any video games really since about 1994 and that was sega genesis and super nintendo.

It will be a whole new world to me.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
i unplugged in 2004 - no tv or commercial radio since

i listen to the cbc programming in the house and in the boathouse (where my shop is) - my fave is "Ideas" with paul kennedy - i often will catch it at 9:00 while having a last beer and finishing up in the shop

no radio in the car

and i'm starting to appreciate the power and prevalence of the media (especially wrt my "cowards and heroes" thread) in manipulating emotion in those who are plugged in

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Watching a documentary on Netflix that's fairly engrossing about the Buckley/Vidal debates ABC put on in 1968. Sounds dry? You don't know the participants, but you should. Highly recommended.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Barney Miller
Loved that show. The rest too, but this one seems mostly forgotten, which is a shame.

Mary Tyler Moore Show
Classic.

Bob Newhart
Loved his first one, as the psychiatrist, The Bob Newhart Show. Not as crazy about the second one with the Inn, but he realized it was a tier down too, which I think is why he ended it as a dream the first Bob had been having, which was Newhart brilliant. :eek:

Great one.

Rockford Files
Garner. Terrific in about anything. The Americanization of Emily is one of his best, as movies go.

Perry Mason
Worst job in the world? District Attorney on that show. There's a Burger with nothing on him. How did he even keep getting elected. He had to have accused half his county of crimes they didn't commit. You'd think there'd have been at least one episode where the someone else took over because he was under examination for competence by the local Bar.

Still my favorites.
Jeepers. :eek: Good shows. I'd throw in the Twilight Zone.

SaulToPaul 2

Worst job in the world? District Attorney on that show. There's a Burger with nothing on him. How did he even keep getting elected. He had to have accused half his county of crimes they didn't commit. You'd think there'd have been at least one episode where the someone else took over because he was under examination for competence by the local Bar.

:chuckle:

Yet Hamilton Burger is always optomistic, and at times even taunts Mason in the court room. His confidence is not shaken!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Darn BBC America. . . They've pulled Doctor Who from Netflix and Hulu. Rumor is that they're considering their own streaming service. For now that means that if you're a fan of the series and a cord cutter you're out of luck. :mmph:

nikolai_42

Darn BBC America. . . They've pulled Doctor Who from Netflix and Hulu. Rumor is that they're considering their own streaming service. For now that means that if you're a fan of the series and a cord cutter you're out of luck. :mmph:

My wife likes the Dr. I saw a few seasons with her and the problem is that if you like one Doc and not the next, it's like walking through mud trying to get through the season(s) until the next one pops up. I started watching when Christopher Eccleston came on and really liked him.FOf course he only lasted one season. David Tennant didn't do it for me so I haven't watched in a while.

My parents live in Canada and while watching their Netflix I got hooked on a BBC show Silk. We had to leave before I could get through season 2 so I figured I could watch it down here...of course, it's not on! The second season isn't even available on DVD yet...

Just remembered another British show that I loved that's impossible to find other than on DVD - Sandbaggers. Came out when Betamax was king and then disappeared until about 5 or 6 years ago when it was re-released on disc. Some of the best writing I've ever seen on tv.

Arthur Brain

Well, there's no actual new series until next year over here anyway, which hasn't gone down well with fans...

Lon

Never saw that before! Great impersonation.

I never forgot it. Didn't realize he died in 2010 of cancer. Funny show, funny fellow, great impression.

Fish always gave me a laugh too. And there was never a better straight man than the Captain.
His dead-pan and insistent 'last-word know-it-all' commentary always funny. To me, it seemed they were all straightmen to Wojo, and maybe Fish. The guest stars played most often to them as straightmen.