The Omnibox: all things television

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So, Marvel's newest entrance into the world of television launched the other day, as Netflix set out season one of Iron Fist, a continuance of its universe there, where Daredevil, Jones, and Cage are already successfully entrenched and setting up the launch of The Defenders, staring (I think) all of the aforementioned characters.

First impressions...it's the weakest in terms of acting, at least as far as the lead goes. I don't mean the actor himself is necessarily to blame. He's given more situation than character and the altered backstory (as far as the comic is concerned) hasn't been sufficiently developed to attach the gravitas and emotional depth the plot pacing leaves little time to squeeze in during the present.

And that's probably the biggest failing of the series so far (I'm episode four). Maybe they'll course correct on that over the rest of the season. We'll see...the actors surrounding are able and the whole of it is entertaining, if oddly light given the opening conflict and foundation. In terms of violence and sex it's dialed appreciably down from Jones and Cage, though I'm already tired of the sickening joint or bone fracturing sounds that seem to accompany every fight scene (with its inevitable arm or leg twist). Not to say there aren't elements of both (sex and violence) in play, only a larger part of the production doesn't seem to hang on that the way Cage and especially Jones' series did. I'd welcome the tamer version if they'd put more meat into character and find the roots that should make the viewer care, instead of giving us a weaker Batman premise, but without the weight of exploration that connects it to an outrage. Danny's parents die in an airplane crash that leaves him the sole survivor, found and raised by monks with some unspecified mystical connection in a place that like Brigadoon, only seems to come around here in an odd cycle of years.

Okay. If I recall the comic origin correctly, Danny is hiking in the mountains with his mother, father, and the father's best friend and partner, who is also in love with Danny's mom. When Danny slips and drags his parents into danger with him, the partner sees his chance to take the corporation and (because he's nuts) his partner's wife as well. Exit daddy, enter overture to wife and son. Wife rejects and both are left in the cold alone. Shortly thereafter they discover a bridge and a pack of wolves. Danny's mother sacrifices her life to save her son as monks show up just a little to late to do more than take Danny in tow. Now that beats the pants off a plane crash and sets up a vengeance quest for young Danny to fulfill, years later. Why they abandoned that I don't know. My guess is that we'll eventually learn the plane crash was the partner's push, as an agent of a shadowy organization called "The Hand".

There's certainly room for developing an interesting series here. At present, I'd give it a weak-ish nod.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Saw a quick ad for the CBS show Scorpion. Maybe a ten second promo, if that, and one of the characters mentions the lead is a "genius". So I turned to my wife and said, "You know why they have to keep telling you that the show is filled with geniuses? Because the writer's room isn't."

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Amazon has a new show that's reminding me how sharp, odd, and entertaining television can be when enough creative talent is brought to bear. The name of the show is Patriot. The descriptive blurb used to give a rough premise is as follows: "To prevent Iran from going nuclear, intelligence officer John Tayner must forgo all safety nets and assume a perilous 'non-official' cover, that of a mid-level employee at a Midwestern industrial piping firm."

Sounds predictable, then the opening credits role and the images and music make you wonder if you haven't accidentally wandered into a Wes Anderson production. You mostly haven't.

Okay, a few things worth knowing. First, it's a comedy of sorts. A bit dark, peculiarly charming and incidental comedy, but humor is a steady presence. Taynor is struggling to keep himself together in the wake of an operation that went sideways and ended with his imprisonment and torture (including days of American Pie funneled into his small cell). He's an accomplished musician and singer who turns up for open mic nights with new songs whose lyrics are a stream of conscious coping mechanism and dangerous to his cover and mission. His only real help and monitor is a brother who carries his own peculiar baggage (when given an attache assignment to stay close he literally has an attache badge made to flash and drops a small safe out of a hotel window to test a comic theory--and he's a senator from Texas with a son he can't publicly claim). There's something childlike in both brothers and in their relationship.

Before he's ready necessity and Taynor's father (a senior in intelligence) put him back in the thick of it. He's told it will be simple. He knows it won't be, that nothing will go right and what goes wrong will expose him to serious threat at nearly every turn.

Let the games begin.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, since this is *all* things television, I will go ahead and add this. Over three months ago, I dropped my cable television due to the fact that it lacked VOD and the quality of picture on some of the channels was lacking. It was also WAY too expensive for the limited packages offered. Also, I don't like the idea of being under a contract or having a TV provider telling me they require auto pay from my checking account.

Through my streaming device, USTV Now and Sling offer the convenience of providing any channel I wish to view (including the CW and MTV) that regular providers do not. It's pay as I go, so if wish to change my lineups or cancel my service, no fees. Also, both have excellent DVR's available.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, since this is *all* things television, I will go ahead and add this. Over three months ago, I dropped my cable television due to the fact that it lacked VOD and the quality of picture on some of the channels was lacking. It was also WAY too expensive for the limited packages offered. Also, I don't like the idea of being under a contract or having a TV provider telling me they require auto pay from my checking account.

Through my streaming device, USTV Now and Sling offer the convenience of providing any channel I wish to view (including the CW and MTV) that regular providers do not. It's pay as I go, so if wish to change my lineups or cancel my service, no fees. Also, both have excellent DVR's available.
You might want to look at Directv Now at some point. I went with ATT's Uverse internet service and have Netflix, Amazon Prime (as a student :)) and Hulu plus. I bought an HD antenna for the locals and I have all the programming I want, BUT, the Now service has a better line up than sling for not a great deal more money. The 35 dollar package has most of what I watched when I was paying 100 or so, including TCM. :D Once my wife's Mindy program is done next year I may kick Hulu to the curb and give Now a try.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You might want to look at Directv Now at some point. I went with ATT's Uverse internet service and have Netflix, Amazon Prime (as a student :)) and Hulu plus. I bought an HD antenna for the locals and I have all the programming I want, BUT, the Now service has a better line up than sling for not a great deal more money. The 35 dollar package has most of what I watched when I was paying 100 or so, including TCM. :D Once my wife's Mindy program is done next year I may kick Hulu to the curb and give Now a try.

I actually did the one week free trial with Direct Now (after I purchased an Apple TV). The channel selection was decent, though they currently do not offer a DVR. Should they ever get around to offering their service on Roku, I may give them another shot. For me, the roku is more user friendly and offers a larger variety of channels.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I actually did the one week free trial with Direct Now (after I purchased an Apple TV). The channel selection was decent, though they currently do not offer a DVR. Should they ever get around to offering their service on Roku, I may give them another shot. For me, the roku is more user friendly and offers a larger variety of channels.
We love our Roku and don't miss the DVR given Netflix has one built in and we can pick up whatever we miss or don't feel like sitting still for over the air with Hulu. I've been fairly happy with the arrangement, though I do miss sports talk and TCM. The good news is that there's a lot of the former on podcasts, etc., but there's no real replacement for the latter.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We love our Roku and don't miss the DVR given Netflix has one built in and we can pick up whatever we miss or don't feel like sitting still for over the air with Hulu. I've been fairly happy with the arrangement, though I do miss sports talk and TCM. The good news is that there's a lot of the former on podcasts, etc., but there's no real replacement for the latter.

The beauty of the roku is that services are either free or reasonable and you own the equipment. In addition to Hulu and Netflix, I have live over the air TV with unlimited DRV.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Father Brown is not going to be for everyone, but if you're a Chesterton fan or simply like the idea of a show where faith, in the best sense, is integral to the process, good acting and likable characters, this is a show you might want to give a look.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Father Brown is not going to be for everyone, but if you're a Chesterton fan or simply like the idea of a show where faith, in the best sense, is integral to the process, good acting and likable characters, this is a show you might want to give a look.
It is a good Catholic show, I agree. :thumb:

:)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What is Omnibox?
Decades ago (in HS) it's what I called television, the mind sucking omnibox, the all of nothing. I'd never seen the term used prior, though it has come up over the following years. So far as I know I thought of it first. Or at least long before I ever heard of anyone else using it.

Is it cheap?
It can be, unless you're choosy.

I hear they want to heavily tax Netflix and Hulu etc.
The voters are going to love that one. Can't wait to see who runs it up the flagpole.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I'd say it's a good Christian show, but as long as you enjoy it, I'm fine with whatever distinction pleases you. :)
It is a good Christian show, a refreshingly good Christian show. Some Christians who are not Catholic might be offended that the main characters are almost all Catholics and the hero is a Catholic priest, and rosaries and popes and Mary are mentioned here-n-there offhandedly, and just generally it's a very decidedly pro-Catholic show, so that's what I meant by Catholic. I used Catholic and I meant Christian, but also as a warning. :)

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A couple of freebies on Roku that offer live TV channels as well as movies are ... XTV and Channel Pear.
[h=1][/h]

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Finished season five of House of Cards...I think it jumped the shark this season. When Frank
Spoiler
pushed Durant down a flight of stairs, in the White House
I felt like Will Ferrel's character in The Other Guys after the explosion scene. I call it. I absolutely call it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Okay, so I've looked about in odd hours between projects and exams and found a couple of shows on Netflix that seemed interesting in premise. Here's what happened next....

iZombie takes the genre and plays with it in a surprisingly light hearted fashion. It's frequently funny, well written, and ably acted. Very entertaining show about a different sort of zombie.

Here's the series blub with alterations: A young doctor gets invited in a party which turns into a macabre zombie arena (thanks to a tainted drug). Liv wakes up the next morning on a beach and, sadly, a zombie (having been scratched by the drug dealer during the ensuing havock). To maintain her humanity she must consume human brains, and so she goes to work in coroner's office for access, leaving her fiance and former life and plans behind.

The sense of humor on the show varies from the subtle to pratfalls, but it's mixed into the rest in a way that works. Take her aforementioned fiance, a guy named Major Lilywhite. He introduces himself to any new female castmate with, "I'm Major" and they mostly respond, "Yes, yes you are." There are odd little bits like that in naming scattered around. The zombified heroine is named Olivia Moore, but everyone calls her Liv. :plain: For the more subtle humor you'll have to take in the set villain, who has genuinely clever side bars with his evil henchmen.

Anyway, eating a brain gives Liv memories and traits of the person sampled. So she wades in to help detective Clive Babineaux solve the murders as a 'psychic' and quickly enlists her fellow physician and Coroner in her adventures. Absent starvation or anger, these zombies physical appearance is divergent from the norm in terms of hair and skin tone only, so it's like a Goth convention without the fashion choices absent spray tan and hair dye. Not exactly a Walking Dead cousin then.

Anyway, again, it's entertaining, goofy fun.

The other show with a mystical tag line was more what I expected. Wynonna Earp is a reinvention of the Earp legend. It involves the legendary peacemaker and sending demons or likened things back to Hades with a shot, one that has to be delivered by the artifact and in the hands of the titular hero. It's a poorly written, B level effort and the acting largely runs parallel. Everyone is very into character. The lead isn't bad, but she's surrounded by people who would have otherwise been working on Eureka as extras and secondary characters a few years back. Skip this one unless you're a masochist.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's been the Dr. Blake Mysteries (Netflix) for me to pass the time during the monsoon season here in AZ.

AMR