The Omnibox: all things television

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Netflix's Making a Murderer 10-episode documentary. Bizarre story, difficult to discern the truth of what actually happened. My lasting conclusion is that in order for Brendan and Steven to have been guilty, they both have to be profound geniuses, and I can't see it. I think they were both bumbling, and the police thought that Avery was the culprit, so they "helped" the investigation along, and made it look that way, and there's a murderer loose as a result. :idunno:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Netflix's Making a Murderer 10-episode documentary. Bizarre story, difficult to discern the truth of what actually happened. My lasting conclusion is that in order for Brendan and Steven to have been guilty, they both have to be profound geniuses, and I can't see it. I think they were both bumbling, and the police thought that Avery was the culprit, so they "helped" the investigation along, and made it look that way, and there's a murderer loose as a result. :idunno:
Sounds interesting.
It is a real documentary or one of those re-enactments type show with actors?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sorry, nevermind.
I just saw the blue in your post with a link.
Thanks.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Sounds interesting.
Is it a real documentary or one of those re-enactments type show with actors?
No actors. The story is explained by the defense trial lawyers who actually defended Avery, and there is a lot of footage of him and of Brendan Dassey, and relatives and neighbors and such. Since they lost the case, but continue to believe in Avery's innocence, this show may be their best shot at doing right by Avery, after failing to convince his jury to acquit him.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Netflix: Stranger Things,
Reminded me of Goonies and that whole period. Darker and really well done.

Daredevil
Best single shot fight scene I've seen in the genre when Daredevil fought his way through a sea of hoods to rescue a kidnapped child.

Jessica Jones
A little darker than I was comfortable with here and there (like Penny Dreadful) but a solid debut.

And I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming Marvel Comics Netflix shows.
So far so good. And Luke Cage we've gotten a decent look at through Jones.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Reminded me of Goonies and that whole period. Darker and really well done.

Best single shot fight scene I've seen in the genre when Daredevil fought his way through a sea of hoods to rescue a kidnapped child.

A little darker than I was comfortable with here and there (like Penny Dreadful) but a solid debut.

So far so good. And Luke Cage we've gotten a decent look at through Jones.
Mostly agreed.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Started watching True Detective season one this week. Five episodes in and I am trying to suffer through all the existential angst dialog that gets in the way of the plot. I am hoping the remaining episodes will tie McConaughey's brokenness together such that it all makes sense. If this is not going to happen, tell me now and I can move on to something else.

AMR

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Anybody watching Mr. Robot?
I think I mentioned it earlier. I don't have satellite anymore but I do have Amazon Prime and caught the first season there. Really surprisingly good on about every point. Hard to imagine them sustaining that...could stay great for a while, or go the way of Lost and the X-files. Shows like that, you almost hope they run a short series, explore an arc and end it hot...happens with regularity with the Brits, but we tend to squeeze every last possibility out of a thing when it's good. Too much money to be made. So shows that were once amazing too often limp to the finish line a couple of years past their point and prime.

I remember when I saw Frasier was ending its run and thought, "That's still on?"

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I think I mentioned it earlier. I don't have satellite anymore but I do have Amazon Prime and caught the first season there. Really surprisingly good on about every point. Hard to imagine them sustaining that...could stay great for a while, or go the way of Lost and the X-files. Shows like that, you almost hope they run a short series, explore an arc and end it hot...happens with regularity with the Brits, but we tend to squeeze every last possibility out of a thing when it's good. Too much money to be made. So shows that were once amazing too often limp to the finish line a couple of years past their point and prime.

I remember when I saw Frasier was ending its run and thought, "That's still on?"

Yeah. I'm with you on that. There are many shows I've stopped watching years before they ended.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Has anyone else watched any of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norril? It's an interesting show that excels at establishing the period (Britain around and during the time of the Napoleonic conquests) while creating more than a few memorable characters. Something about this period seems to excite the imagination of authors. Novik's dragon series uses the same backdrop and in the same way, take the period as you find it, add one otherwise absurd element, like dragons, or in this case magic, and imagine what happens.

At any rate, it's a good show, with a solid turn by Eddie Marsan (Inspector Lestrade from the horrible, horrible Robert Downey Jr. version of Sherlock Holmes) as the bookish Mr. Norril, who has designs on bringing practical magic back to England with respectability/. Then there's Jonathan Strange, ably brought to life by Bertie Carvel as a likable, aimless fellow of means who suddenly finds inheritance of the latter coupled with the purpose of a unique aptitude for magic.

The special effects are mostly seamless and extremely well done. The acting is convincing and the plot (so far) sufficiently involving to have me back at it with regularity. Good show (either). :eek:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Have you ever read Doyle or is your familiarity with the character limited to movies and television?
Yes I have read some of the Doyle books, a far cry from the caricature portrayed in the Downey movies. I think the film makers took it to that other level. What channel was that show on, or is it on omnibox only?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes I have read some of the Doyle books, a far cry from the caricature portrayed in the Downey movies. I think the film makers took it to that other level.
I think they turned it into a Marvel production in the most regrettable sense. I love what special effects have come to as an art, but I'd like to see them in support instead of as the apparent point of too many movies. Richie only makes one movie and that movie isn't in line with Doyle's creation.

What channel was that show on, or is it on omnibox only?
Which Norril and Strange? It's a BBC production that's on Netflix at the moment. Not sure where else.