Guardians of the Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I just got back from the theater, and it was awesome! Probably the best Marvel movie to date. I need to see it again; in 3D. Seriously, this is a movie that needs to be seen in 3D. It needs to be seen.

Brother Vinny

Will provide my in-depth thoughts later, such as they are, but I am in nearly complete agreement with the OP (unsure whether it's Marvel's best; time and repeat viewings will tell). This movie needs to be seen from its gut-punch-to-the-feels beginning to the post-credits-surprise-cameo end. One heck of a ride.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Will provide my in-depth thoughts later, such as they are, but I am in nearly complete agreement with the OP (unsure whether it's Marvel's best; time and repeat viewings will tell). This movie needs to be seen from its gut-punch-to-the-feels beginning to the post-credits-surprise-cameo end. One heck of a ride.
Indubitably.

quip

BANNED
Banned
I just got back from the theater, and it was awesome! Probably the best Marvel movie to date. I need to see it again; in 3D. Seriously, this is a movie that needs to be seen in 3D. It needs to be seen.

The good guys must have triumphed over evil then...ehh? :plain:

Brother Vinny

It's been four days since I've seen it now, and I still don't know how to address this film. The movie should not have worked. I was a fan of the comic book in its Abnett iteration when the movie was announced, and while the news excited me, I could also see how this could have gone horribly wrong. Howard the Duck was a cautionary tale on making talking animals central to the story, and movies like Green Lantern and Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer showed not only that Hollywood couldn't get cosmic-scope comics stories right, but that no one but dyed-in-the-wool fanboys would go see them.

I'm so glad I was wrong. James Gunn done the impossible with Guardians of the Galaxy, and this makes him mighty.

The opening was a masterful stroke, as gut-wrenching as the first 12 minutes of Up.

Dominic Cooper's Rocket was a hoot, and Vin Diesel squeezed as much out of three words
Spoiler
(okay, four, and may I say the line in which the fourth word appeared had me nearly as choked up as the film's intro?)
as was humanly possible. Dave Bautista's Drax was a pleasant surprise. Zoe Saldana made for a note-perfect Gamora. But Chris Pratt's performance makes this movie; if he weren't who he is in this (part Indiana Jones, part Captain Kirk, with a smidgen of humble likability thrown in), and if he weren't able to pull it off believably, it may have signaled the death knell for this movie. He is what pulls and holds the team together, and I cannot wait to see whatever adventures he gets his team into next.

I cannot say what my favorite part of the movie is. My wife's is. . .

Spoiler
. . . when Rocket is, late in the movie, trying to get Star Lord to acquire the cybernetic eye of one of Quill's old shipmates. Peter had been fooled earlier in the film with a similar request involving a prosthetic leg, and Peter's wise to Rocket now, saying, "You don't need his eye!" And Rocket is fighting laughter while he insists that he needs the eye.

Yeah, this movie rocks.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Rocket, Groot and Drax steal the show..
Quite.

Spoiler

Howard the Duck is in the post credits scene, voiced by Seth Green.
Spoiler
You can see him in the distance before the explosion, sitting in his glass cage.

It's been four days since I've seen it now, and I still don't know how to address this film. The movie should not have worked. I was a fan of the comic book in its Abnett iteration when the movie was announced, and while the news excited me, I could also see how this could have gone horribly wrong. Howard the Duck was a cautionary tale on making talking animals central to the story, and movies like Green Lantern and Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer showed not only that Hollywood couldn't get cosmic-scope comics stories right, but that no one but dyed-in-the-wool fanboys would go see them.

I'm so glad I was wrong. James Gunn done the impossible with Guardians of the Galaxy, and this makes him mighty.

The opening was a masterful stroke, as gut-wrenching as the first 12 minutes of Up.

Dominic Cooper's Rocket was a hoot, and Vin Diesel squeezed as much out of three words
Spoiler
(okay, four, and may I say the line in which the fourth word appeared had me nearly as choked up as the film's intro?)
as was humanly possible. Dave Bautista's Drax was a pleasant surprise. Zoe Saldana made for a note-perfect Gamora. But Chris Pratt's performance makes this movie; if he weren't who he is in this (part Indiana Jones, part Captain Kirk, with a smidgen of humble likability thrown in), and if he weren't able to pull it off believably, it may have signaled the death knell for this movie. He is what pulls and holds the team together, and I cannot wait to see whatever adventures he gets his team into next.

I cannot say what my favorite part of the movie is. My wife's is. . .

Spoiler
. . . when Rocket is, late in the movie, trying to get Star Lord to acquire the cybernetic eye of one of Quill's old shipmates. Peter had been fooled earlier in the film with a similar request involving a prosthetic leg, and Peter's wise to Rocket now, saying, "You don't need his eye!" And Rocket is fighting laughter while he insists that he needs the eye.

Yeah, this movie rocks.
Spoiler
Groot says five words: "I", "am", "Groot", "we", and "are."

Your wife's favorite part is one of mine.:rotfl:

Why can you not say yours? Did it have to do with the part at which most people demand a toy of a certain thing?

Also, Bradley Cooper voiced Rocket. Dominic Cooper played Howard Stark in Captain America: The First Avenger, as well as the Agent Carter one-shot.

In summation; I agree so much with what you just said.

Brother Vinny

Quite.

Spoiler
You can see him in the distance before the explosion, sitting in his glass cage.

Spoiler
Groot says five words: "I", "am", "Groot", "we", and "are."

Your wife's favorite part is one of mine.:rotfl:

Why can you not say yours? Did it have to do with the part at which most people demand a toy of a certain thing?

Also, Bradley Cooper voiced Rocket. Dominic Cooper played Howard Stark in Captain America: The First Avenger, as well as the Agent Carter one-shot.

In summation; I agree so much with what you just said.

D'oh! Got Coopers mixed up.

I can't say what my favorite parts are because there are so many. Quill's "12% of a plan" (and Groot's defense of him, evidenced by Rocket's response) ranks pretty high.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
D'oh! Got Coopers mixed up.

I can't say what my favorite parts are because there are so many. Quill's "12% of a plan" (and Groot's defense of him, evidenced by Rocket's response) ranks pretty high.
Definitely. A lot of great moments from which to choose. This movie was so fun!

Brother Vinny

Getting a kick out of the soundtrack album. Bought it Saturday to listen to in the car. Most of the songs were hits just before I became conscious of music beyond what my parents listened to. "I Fooled Around and Fell In Love" I have the sketchiest of memories of, same with "O-o-h Child."

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Getting a kick out of the soundtrack album. Bought it Saturday to listen to in the car. Most of the songs were hits just before I became conscious of music beyond what my parents listened to. "I Fooled Around and Fell In Love" I have the sketchiest of memories of, same with "O-o-h Child."
Dance off!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
As much fun as I've had watching a summer adventure in years. The best thing Marvel has done to date, bar none. Bravo.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Dance off!
There were so many great moments in this film, both funny and moving...reminded me of the fun and involvement I had watching Raiders the first time. Great fun wrapped in a real plot underscored by moments where we glimpsed the humanity and potential of each character.

Man, I have to own this film. :)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
There were so many great moments in this film, both funny and moving...reminded me of the fun and involvement I had watching Raiders the first time. Great fun wrapped in a real plot underscored by moments where we glimpsed the humanity and potential of each character.

Man, I have to own this film. :)
Yes! I will be very happy when it is finally on Blu-ray.

Did you know they announced the release date for the sequel before the movie even opened? That's how confident they were in it, and they were right to be.

Brother Vinny

May I just say that "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" bugs the heck out of me? It's about a bored man who decides to cheat on his girl only to find she's decided to cheat on him, and they basically laugh it off and say, "Small world, huh?"

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes! I will be very happy when it is finally on Blu-ray.

Did you know they announced the release date for the sequel before the movie even opened? That's how confident they were in it, and they were right to be.
Didn't know that, but I hope the same team is on board. Should be interesting to see them bring his father into this. :) And Gamora needs a little more of her back story. She seemed mostly humanized by her reactions to and relation with Quill.

Status
Not open for further replies.