weekly weigh in

john w

Hall of Fame
I'm going through a hotdog eating phase lately. With just chili and ketchup.

:chew:

Ketchup on dogs? Heresy, you propozon avoider!!! Mustard only, on dogs, Mayor. You shorely have a chili compelsion complex. Am I getting through to you, Chef Tel? Good.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Today I did one set of 20 reps of squat.

My whole adult life, I never really tried to do deep, deep squats, and now I love them. I think about them on my off-days, and look forward to them. I get down into a catcher's stance, and then explode upward as best I can. Around rep 10, I start to burn, and I have to shake out my legs a little before proceeding. I get way down, and stay there for a few before standing up.

I used to squat as shallow as possible so that I could do more weight, but now, I think because of my age, I'm more interested in being strong from a deep squatting position, which is something I've never been that strong at, and being more flexible. I'm also tired of being weak from a squatting position.

My knees pop when I let the weight push me down as far as I can go, but there's no pain, and rather than my knees feeling weaker they feel much stronger and tighter.

I recommend trying. ;)

SaulToPaul 2

Today I did one set of 20 reps of squat.

My whole adult life, I never really tried to do deep, deep squats, and now I love them. I think about them on my off-days, and look forward to them. I get down into a catcher's stance, and then explode upward as best I can. Around rep 10, I start to burn, and I have to shake out my legs a little before proceeding. I get way down, and stay there for a few before standing up.

I used to squat as shallow as possible so that I could do more weight, but now, I think because of my age, I'm more interested in being strong from a deep squatting position, which is something I've never been that strong at, and being more flexible. I'm also tired of being weak from a squatting position.

My knees pop when I let the weight push me down as far as I can go, but there's no pain, and rather than my knees feeling weaker they feel much stronger and tighter.

I recommend trying. ;)

:up:

I'm glad you posted that. I recently started squatting deep.
And also I get excited to dead lift , so I can relate to you there!

john w

Hall of Fame
:up:

I'm glad you posted that. I recently started squatting deep.
And also I get excited to dead lift , so I can relate to you there!

Oh, both of you are TOL's resident "Hanz and Franz," are you, now? Well, Mayor, didn't you once tell me that you used to jog, but the ice cubes kept falling out of your scotch glass? You beat everything...

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Today, I did one squat.
Nice. How deep? Were your thighs level with the floor, deeper, or less deep? My foray into deep squats started with no bar for a few sessions, then with a broom handle for some, and then I finally did it with an empty bar twice or three times, followed by 5s on each side, etc. Taking it so slow, since I'm not in any race (like I thought I was when younger), I feel as if I'm really pushing my limits. I wouldn't have had the patience for this, years ago.
I then took a 20 minute nap.
Sounds good. :)
I recommend trying.
Good enough for me---I'm doing it. :up:

john w

Hall of Fame
Nice. How deep? Were your thighs level with the floor, deeper, or less deep? My foray into deep squats started with no bar for a few sessions, then with a broom handle for some, and then I finally did it with an empty bar twice or three times, followed by 5s on each side, etc. Taking it so slow, since I'm not in any race (like I thought I was when younger), I feel as if I'm really pushing my limits. I wouldn't have had the patience for this, years ago.
I don't remember-I fell asleep.

SaulToPaul 2

Oh, both of you are TOL's resident "Hanz and Franz," are you, now? Well, Mayor, didn't you once tell me that you used to jog, but the ice cubes kept falling out of your scotch glass? You beat everything...

Oh sure, you must think I'm a regular Dean Martin type, never seen in public without a liquor glass in my hand! You beat all, you know that?

SaulToPaul 2

Today, at "the office", I am working on perfecting the "Whalen Death Stare/Intimidation Technique".

This is a technique that saint john perfected in his formative years from sitting at the feet of Robert Blake, William Shatner, and Steve McQueen.