Should Women Be Beaten?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
we've had consensus here and there that there are actions that some men take that deserve a sound thrashing - the upskirts in massachusetts thread comes to mind, and just about any thread that veers into pedophilia or spousal abuse territory

what specific actions would justify corporal punishment of women by their husbands?

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
we've had consensus here and there that there are actions that some men take that deserve a sound thrashing - the upskirts in massachusetts thread comes to mind, and just about any thread that veers into pedophilia or spousal abuse territory

what specific actions would justify corporal punishment of women by their husbands?
In a word ... nothing.

bybee

As I said to my husband when he was my fiancé "If you ever lift a hand to me you better make it a good one because it will be your last one!"
He was so upset with me for even saying such a thing! We were married 52+ years and neither of us ever resorted to violence. Even verbally, he was very careful of me...and I, well...as you have seen, sometimes my temper runs away with me.
But I respected him and didn't ever want to hurt him.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
If she gets too uppity, you should give her a sound beating...with a soft, fluffy pillow. Pillow fight!

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
It's sickening to be reminded every time you post that you teach an ethics class.

What precisely do you find wrong with what I've said? Do you disagree with it? If your spouse walks up to you and says, "Hey, would you please give me a spanking," it would be wrong to say "Ok, sure, I'll do that"?

Edit: I can't help but call to mind the episode of the Big Bang Theory where Sheldon administers a spanking to Amy.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
What precisely do you find wrong with what I've said? Do you disagree with it? If your spouse walks up to you and says, "Hey, would you please give me a spanking," it would be wrong to say "Ok, sure, I'll do that"?

Edit: I can't help but call to mind the episode of the Big Bang Theory where Sheldon administers a spanking to Amy.

Corporal Punishment. That's a beating, Trad.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

None. And that you even ask the question is disgusting.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
In a word ... nothing.

As I said to my husband when he was my fiancé "If you ever lift a hand to me you better make it a good one because it will be your last one!"
He was so upset with me for even saying such a thing! We were married 52+ years and neither of us ever resorted to violence. Even verbally, he was very careful of me...and I, well...as you have seen, sometimes my temper runs away with me.
But I respected him and didn't ever want to hurt him.

None. And that you even ask the question is disgusting.

then i suppose you all will disagree that there are things that some men do that deserve a thrashing?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Corporal Punishment. That's a beating, Trad.

"Corporal punishment" has a wide variety of senses. If your spouse specifically requests this or that kind of corporal punishment, it may not be unreasonable to do so, presupposing certain obvious moral constraints. You probably had the reaction that you did because you think I'm asserting that husbands should beat their wives.

No. That's not what I've said.

If anything, the thrust of my post is that the circumstances under which you should beat your spouse are probably limited/rare, if those circumstances are morally possible at all.

Before, AB, you post indicating base visceral disgust or otherwise moral outrage at something that I've said, do pause to take into consideration the fact that, as you yourself have indicated, I am teaching an ethics class, and therefore I am qualified to do so.

If you disagree with me, then state the reasons for your disagreement, and I likely either will 1. indicate why your reasons don't hold or 2. cede your point.

Presumably, what SOD has in mind is this: is there something that a spouse can do that objectively merits a beating? I'm not sure about this. However, as a humorous answer (and I was being humorous), if your partner specifically requests it, then you should probably go for it (the obvious assumption being that the partner would not request something seriously harmful to him or herself and that, if the partner only is administering "corporal punishment" at the request of his spouse, that he is not going to be prone to inflicting serious harm or injury).

You should try reading what I say a bit more charitably. :idunno:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
If anything, the thrust of my post is that the occassions under which you should beat your spouse are exceedingly limited/rare, if those circumstances are morally possible at all.

Then you tell me what a limited or rare reason would be for a man to beat a woman. I'm very interested to see what you say.

I am teaching an ethics class, and therefore I am qualified to do so.
I don't believe you're qualified to teach ethics based on your TOL posting history alone.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
"Corporal punishment" has a wide variety of senses. If your spouse specifically requests this or that kind of corporal punishment, it may not be unreasonable to do so, presupposing certain obvious moral constraints. You probably had the reaction that you did because you think I'm asserting that husbands should beat their wives.

No. That's not what I've said.

If anything, the thrust of my post is that the circumstances under which you should beat your spouse are probably limited/rare, if those circumstances are morally possible at all.

Before, AB, you post indicating base visceral disgust or otherwise moral outrage at something that I've said, do pause to take into consideration the fact that, as you yourself have indicated, I am teaching an ethics class, and therefore I am qualified to do so.

If you disagree with me, then state the reasons for your disagreement, and I likely either will 1. indicate why your reasons don't hold or 2. cede your point.

Presumably, what SOD has in mind is this: is there something that a spouse can do that objectively merits a beating? I'm not sure about this. However, as a humorous answer (and I was being humorous), if your partner specifically requests it, then you should probably go for it (the obvious assumption being that the partner would not request something seriously harmful to him or herself and that, if the partner only is administering "corporal punishment" at the request of his spouse, that he is not going to be prone to inflicting serious harm or injury).

You should try reading what I say a bit more charitably. :idunno:

she does tend to respond emotionally, doesn't she? :chuckle:

doloresistere

then i suppose you all will disagree that there are things that some men do that deserve a thrashing?

Was a thrashing all that was brought up in the skirting thread? What specific punishments were mentioned in that thread other than wishes that authorities would administer once in prison? You cannot compare what a man does to a woman in the home to what prison authorities do to a man outside of the home.

bybee

The ways in which men work out their differences is another story.
Absolutely no hitting in marriage! I don't like rough housing between the sexes either but not everyone agrees with that.
Women have no more right to hit their spouses than vice versa.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Then you tell me what a limited or rare reason would be for a man to beat a woman. I'm very interested to see what you say.

I can think of several things a woman (or, conversely, a man) can do which is seriously contrary to their marital relationship. For example:

1. Attempting to seriously injure or kill one's spouse.
2. Committing adultery.
3. Intentionally burning down one's home.

You get the idea. If a woman intentionally burns down her and her husband's home, objectively speaking, does she deserve a beating? Presupposing that there are no mitigating circumstances, probably. Should her husband do it? I don't know. I don't venture to make a judgment on these matters. It could well be the case that the State, not he, has the authority to do so. [Note, the genders are irrelevent. If the husband burns down the house intentionally, he probably deserves a beating.]

I don't believe you're qualified to teach ethics based on your TOL posting history alone.

Thankfully, ethics doesn't involve shaking one's fist angrily and emotional outbursts. :idunno:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
It's sickening to be reminded every time you post that you teach an ethics class.

my male professor was teaching us this morning about the menstrual cycle and the periodic hormonal changes associated

but he's not a woman

should he be allowed to teach this material?

who would silly little anna propose should be allowed to teach an ethics class? ghandi?

bybee

I can think of several things a woman (or, conversely, a man) can do which is seriously contrary to their marital relationship. For example:

2. Committing adultery.

You get the idea. If a woman intentionally burns down her and her husband's home, objectively speaking, does she deserve a beating? Presupposing that there are no mitigating circumstances, probably. Should her husband do it? I don't know. I don't venture to make a judgment on these matters. [Note, the genders are irrelevent. If the husband burns down the house intentionally, he probably deserves a beating.]

Thankfully, ethics doesn't involve shaking one's fist angrily and emotional outbursts. :idunno:

However, ethics require common sense. A gift with which you have not been blessed.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned

2. Committing adultery.

You get the idea. If a woman intentionally burns down her and her husband's home, objectively speaking, does she deserve a beating?

if a woman is sexually abusing the couple's children, what would the proper punishment be if the husband didn't wish to break up the family?

PureX

I wouldn't view the request for a "spanking" or something similar as corporal punishment because I assume it's being requested for pain-as-pleasure, and not as an actual punishment.

By the meaning of those terms as I understand them, I don't believe there are any circumstances by which any spouse has the right to punish the other in that manner.