TOL Snapshot: Inside the Numbers

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Hmm, I also find it interesting to watch the numbers go up on threads, and it does seem to
depend upon the author.

It's always slightly disappointing to see that he who possesses more views will more than
likely get more views the next time around, due to familiarity with the name, it becomes habitual.

Also, a thing that may affect the numbers is that some people arduously bump and spam
their own threads, whereas some people (I try myself) like to keep it clear and easy to read,
(or feel quite guilty for even double posting).

It's quite nice to be able to write throw away topics just for the sake of testing interest.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hmm, I also find it interesting to watch the numbers go up on threads, and it does seem to
depend upon the author.

It's always slightly disappointing to see that he who possesses more views will more than
likely get more views the next time around, due to familiarity with the name, it becomes habitual.
I don't think it really works like that. Look at some of the 100+ thread creators I've noted with really modest numbers. I do think time widens the base if people think you might have something entertaining and/or interesting to say. But the thread title is important too.

Also, a thing that may affect the numbers is that some people arduously bump and spam
their own threads, whereas some people (I try myself) like to keep it clear and easy to read,
(or feel quite guilty for even double posting).
People.

It's quite nice to be able to write throw away topics just for the sake of testing interest.
I like to think of nearly any thread I make as that sort of exercise. :eek:

Time is an interesting angle to examine. Some threads are slow cookers and surprise you with longevity. When I made Observations I had no idea it would take off, but most live and die off in fairly short order. This one has had a pretty busy first day. We'll see where or if it goes on.

:cheers:

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
I don't think it really works like that. Look at some of the 100+ thread creators I've noted with really modest numbers. I do think time widens the base if people think you might have something entertaining and/or interesting to say. But the thread title is important too.

People.

I like to think of nearly any thread I make as that sort of exercise. :eek:

Time is an interesting angle to examine. Some threads are slow cookers and surprise you with longevity. When I made Observations I had no idea it would take off, but most live and die off in fairly short order. This one has had a pretty busy first day. We'll see where or if it goes on.

:cheers:

You have a point there, also somebody new won't (unless specially arrogant) feel like going and resuscitating one of their threads that isn't on active topics anymore, for the sake of it... whereas somebody who's been around and seen the fanatic gravedigging won't mind.

Then there's also a matter of derailment, somebody will write something strange and nobody else feels brave enough to look past it which inadvertently leads to its demise.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You have a point there, also somebody new won't (unless specially arrogant) feel like going and resuscitating one of their threads that isn't on active topics anymore, for the sake of it... whereas somebody who's been around and seen the fanatic gravedigging won't mind.
I suppose, though mostly threads die and stay dead. Now and then I'l repost in one of mine that has been inactive for a while because of the nature of the thread...like "who would win that fight?" I get an idea for a new match, like battle of the really sad Draculas. Gerard Butler vs Frank Langella. That sort of thing. I have a number of odd threads that are fun to revive from time to time. :D

Then there's also a matter of derailment, somebody will write something strange and nobody else feels brave enough to look past it which inadvertently leads to its demise.
I suppose. And sometimes it's a matter of the whales/old guard having seen the particular circus and not being interested in another pony ride. So it varies.