TOL Snapshot: Inside the Numbers

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Another way of looking inside numbers is to find the average views per post. In general, if you're averaging over ten your doing good. Over twenty and you have a thread with long legs. Let's look across the top five viewed threads in our respective categories.

Politics:

aCW's Homosexual thread, part I had 5,659 posts, generating 158,624 views. The average post to view? (P/V): 28

Skeptics Impeach Bush thread, number two in views, had a lower post count, with 4,538 posts drawing 148,957 views. P/V: 33

Nin's Homo Tolerance drew 1,569 posts and 68,892 views. P/V: 43

Religion:

Jeffblue's evolution thread drew 3,990 posts and 88,947 views. P/V: 22

krystna's Triune God Invention thread drew 3318 posts and 82,950 views. P/V: 25

chrys Catholic Answers? 2,377 posts to 81,856 views. P/V: 34

Exclusively Christian:

Oatmeal's Your Triune God, 10,245 posts to 218,880 views. P/V: 21

Totton's Pauls Mystery, 3,466 posts to 124,176 views. P/V: 36

Tet's MAD thread, 3,172 posts to 77,293 views. P/V: 24

And the Rest:

chrys' Gros M thread? 8,910 posts to 151,489 views. V/P: 17

Thunder Muse's Gratitude thread, 1,996 posts to 72,059 views. P/V: 36

Knight's Cigar Lounge, 884 posts to 39,698 views. P/V: 45

Topic of the Day:

Same Sex Marriage, 1,865 posts to 41,115 views. P/V: 22

Ground Zero Mosque, 870 posts to 21,802 views. P/V: 25

Do you believe in Evolution? 476 posts to 15,112 views. P/V: 32

zoo's Sea Change, 1,120 posts to 39,032 views. P/V: 35

The Best of YouTube, 557 posts to 38,655 views. P/V: 69

Tehmill

Here is something your stats don't show Town.

The thread you mention of my alter ego [:eek:] remained a hot topic with no tricks or trannies on my part during a whole year I was banned, it dropped off the first page the very day I returned.

Annnnd what does your stats show about threads which morph or are highjacked?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Here is something your stats don't show Town.

The thread you mention of my alter ego [:eek:] remained a hot topic with no tricks or trannies on my part during a whole year I was banned, it dropped off the first page the very day I returned.

Annnnd what does your stats show about threads which morph or are highjacked?
I don't know who you were then, but as for hijacked threads, it still shows the draw. And those tend to be the exception, not the rule. Another thing that isn't shown in the post count is how many/what proportion of the posts are the founders. But I was mostly looking for how much heat a thread generated, there are a number of other ways that a poster can be impactful here. I mentioned that a while ago.

And some posters, like Psalmist, might disproportionately start the sort of threads that just can't find significant statistical legs, like birthday posts, but they're of great value in terms of promoting a sense of community around here.

Quincy

Isn't it possible that not all views come from members or regular lurkers? For instance that Best of Youtube thread. Anyone could put that line into Google and find that thread. So doesn't that skew with the line, if you are trying to find out which people on the forum are doing the best making threads?

I suppose any view counts as a view of course, but if the thread isn't getting those hits from regular members of the community, how do we know that person resonates with us like the views seem to indicate?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Isn't it possible that not all views come from members or regular lurkers? For instance that Best of Youtube thread. Anyone could put that line into Google and find that thread. So doesn't that skew with the line, if you are trying to find out which people on the forum are doing the best making threads?

I suppose any view counts as a view of course, but if the thread isn't getting those hits from regular members of the community, how do we know that person resonates with us like the views seem to indicate?
That's mixing it a bit. The last batch was just giving an insight into some of the more popular threads by view.

When looking at posters you have to consider a few things. I try to mostly restrict my look to those who've made 100 posts. That's a decent sampling for an average. There are posters with penchants that skew the effectiveness of that, like Psalmist with his birthday threads, but they're few and far between.

I went for 100/1000 because it seemed a relatively high number looking across threads. I made it an either/or for counting. I should weight more heavily for threads that manage both, but it's a quick idea of what you're looking at.

What I found were certain posters, known mostly for negative approach, did poorly as thread generators, that they weren't effective in drawing interest, on average. Now almost everyone has come up with a hot thread at some point and a bomb too, which is why I average.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I remember well how you started your first thread in the beginning of August 2007. Then when you started your second thread in December we were all like "Whoa - slow down! Yer gonna crash the servers dude!"

Good times :)

zoo22

:think: Give me a minute. I'll get back to you.

Trad
Threads: 100
More than 1000 views: 47
More than 100 posts: 14

1) In how many of those 100 threads does he mention his going to college/grad school?

2) In how many of those threads that he mentions his going to college/grad school is it condescending?

FellowServant

DMV Princess
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I remember well how you started your first thread in the beginning of August 2007. Then when you started your second thread in December we were all like "Whoa - slow down! Yer gonna crash the servers dude!"

Good times :)

I'm just good like that.. :D

:chuckle: