TOL Snapshot: Inside the Numbers

sky.

BANNED
Banned
What does it all mean?
I am quite content just as I am!
This seeming, infatuation with numbers is a puzzle to me.
If all of the numbers disappeared we could say "So what!".
:confused:

I don't know bybee. Town for class president?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't know bybee. Town for class president?

cheerleader2-1_zpsf09e5e6f.gif

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Do you want me to cry harder?
Do you think that's really possible? :chuckle:

What does it all mean?
:
One of the encouraging things I'm seeing/learning is that the low blow champs, while found everywhere, don't actually tend to generate many posts and don't do especially well at even drawing interest where they're the thread starters. Oh, they'll find a topic or two, but on average it's a little weak.

That should make you feel better about the state of the place and about your TOL neighbor. :D

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

It doesn't seem like who is posting, but what the subject is.

Knight said:
This thread will be a continuation of the thread ARCHIVE: Open Theism pt. 1

Which at the time of this posting had 6,788 replies and almost 74,000 views!

Knight said:
This thread will be a continuation of the thread ARCHIVE: Open Theism pt. 2

Which at the time of this posting had 8,094 replies and almost 154,954 views!

And part 3 is currently 3,538 posts and 144,176 views.

That is a total of 18,420 posts and 373,130 views. Using Knights rounded numbers.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
GR
Threads: 100
More than 1000 views: 58
More than 100 posts: 19

Lighthouse
More than 1000 views: 43
More than 100 posts: 13

Knight
More than 1000 views: 69
More than 100 posts: 26

stripe
More than 1000 views: 59
More than 100 posts: 11

some other dude
More than 1000 views: 40
More than 100 posts: 11

Granite
Threads: 75
More than 1000 views: 52
More than 100 posts: 23

Spitfire

I have started 21 threads since June 2006. None of them had more than 100 replies.

Which means I.... totally suck or... something? :AMR: What's this really about, anyway? :p

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I have started 21 threads since June 2006. None of them had more than 100 replies.

Which means I.... totally suck or... something? :AMR: What's this really about, anyway? :p
It's exactly what I said it is. I wanted to find a way to look at relevance that wasn't your rep number, a number rather easily manipulated. What can't be as easily manipulated is interest expressed in the threads.

What I'm finding is that people who are less interested in mud rolling are fairing better, are in terms of drawing interest and response, a much more important number in the life of the community, the real engine that pushes this machine. That's good news. :D

As for you...Your sample is small. Look at the emerging average from those who have 100 threads or better and you'll see that even at the high end the percent of threads drawing over 100 posts in response is typically under 40%, meaning that 60% of those 100 threads, while they might be drawing over 1000 views often enough, don't generate much responsive heat.

So if you only have twenty something threads you might be within that larger sampling. That is, if you had 100 threads under your belt your numbers would likely improve significantly.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's about Town's need to puff himself up by diminishing others

pray for his troubled soul
Actually, I had done a number of numbers before I got to mine. It started with Sky taking a weak shot at my Quixote thread. That got me thinking about relevance and if we had to rest on the rep/popularity number. So I took a look at her thread performance. And that encouraging number led me to others.

You did better as Sod. Your current numbers, if they hold, are pretty weak, though Sod wasn't lighting up the boards either, except as a post contributor.

The numbers are what they are, though a few people are going to be surprised by someone I haven't set out yet.

Stay tuned. :D

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
He catches a lot of flack (and I've given him some of it, though more in fun than he seems to realize) but Gros M is an asset to the community.

GM
Threads: 76
More than 100 posts: 41

Like him or not, that's the top of the response prompting chart and really solid on the number of views.

WizardofOz

fluff master

fluff master

He catches a lot of flack (and I've given him some of it, though more in fun than he seems to realize) but Gros M is an asset to the community.

GM
Threads: 76
More than 100 posts: 41

Like him or not, that's the top of the response prompting chart and really solid on the number of views.

[/relevance of the numbers]

Just funnin GM! :p

zoo22

Sorry, I don't think there's much to read into these numbers overall. There are so many various possible reasons for them, and they're so dependent on the individuals.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And the topics that interest TOL members. Members tend to be attracted to controversy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sorry, I don't think there's much to read into these numbers overall. There are so many various possible reasons for them, and they're so dependent on the individuals.
We disagree. It doesn't tell you much about quality, but it does tell you which posters are on average sponsoring more interest, active or other. The trick is to realize, as in baseball and basketball that relatively low percentages can still represent significant achievement. Where .500 is fantastic play a .350 average isn't to be sneezed at, by way of example.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
[/relevance of the numbers]

Just funnin GM! :p

:chuckle: Well, it's not a number that reflects more than people's willingness to engage and/or read his threads. :idunno: Apparently he draws, for whatever reason. Some people have a knack for creating threads that interest viewers without drawing in a lot of posting activity. Some manage both. It varies. I'm just looking at an average and giving people something other than the rep number to consider.

I'll be looking for a rough average at some point, with a plus/minus.