Town Quixote's

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
For a number of posts now sky and the rest of the Dear Diary Club have been trolling this thread. I reported an earlier version of it. That's by and large all I can do.

Except this...Tam won't be happy, but I'm going to lock it down. I tried stepping around them. I tried appealing to the rules. Such is life.

I'll put enough on the page to bump their nonsense off and that will be that.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thusday's Reflection:

Christians, let us not rush to judgment of one another. I believe that every regular poster on this site is here for a purpose. and each of us has a cross to bear, a message to share, a need a hurt a sorrow....
We may comfort and nurture one another. We may inform and educate one another.
Knight has provided us a safe haven in which to share our selves.

And we have happiness joy and blessings to share as well.

For what it is worth I enjoy lively debate. I enjoy the sometimes wild and woolly confrontations that occur! Especially I love the quiet thoughtful concern that we sometimes show for one another.

And, we pray for one another in sincerity and truth.

All else is dross that is washed away.
Sounds good to me, bybee. :D

You never know. People can surprise you. The other day I was trenching near the road at the front of my property (because we'd had a good rain and the earth was easy). Noisy beast of a trencher....Anyway, this fellow drove by in a nice new truck and I accidentally threw some mud up on him. He locked up his breaks and stopped a little bit down the road, backed up a little and rolled down his window. I could tell that he was angry. So you know what I was expecting, but I wasn't prepared for what happened next.

He stared at me for about a full minute while I tried to throttle the trencher back, unsuccessfully. Then he called out, "You dug some ditch!" and drove off with a bark of tires, in a hurry to get wherever I guess he needed to be.

That really floored me. In that big a hurry and with mud slung down the side of a new truck, a complete stranger had stopped and taken time to encourage me in my work.

At least that's what it sounded like from where I was. :plain:

Last edited:

Mama Etna

Sassy and Ashy Mountain
Big Gulp and I end up barfing up breakfast, lunch and dinner. I got horribly sick the last time I drank one and that was a 32 ounce one. I'll stick with decaf coffee black.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Tuesday Evening Gazette

Differed with chrys on dogs and dog owners...
so I need a fence to keep your dog out?

this is how the owner thinks
No, it's how a bad owner thinks.

Bad owner. Bad. :plain:

Most aren't, which is partly why mostly dogs aren't a problem for anyone.

So...
That's what fences and ear plugs are for ...
:think: Are you talking about the dogs or chrys?

Then...
so why do so many have two dogs?
Best guess? So they can leave twice the poop in your yard. :plain:

Do you find that your neighbors, once they get to know you, frequently make the decision to get that second dog?

And SD finally got around to...something...
...Are you opposed to the 'right click and copy' feature
In lieu of argument? Sure.

or are you opposed to the argument?
A quote isn't an argument unless you're quoting one. :plain:

Re: Shaw on liars
:yawn: Proof please. :peach:
Keep making pudding. It's in there.

A lie twice told is no more true for repetition. :e4e:

Else, Jack is well on the mend and I'm enjoying more time in the real world, though I'll be here when I'm not engaged with it.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Big Gulp and I end up barfing up breakfast, lunch and dinner. I got horribly sick the last time I drank one and that was a 32 ounce one. I'll stick with decaf coffee black.

back in my undergrad days i once pulled an all nighter writing up a semester's worth of p chem labs at the last minute - drank two 2 liter bottles of Jolt Cola and handed in the labs at 8 am with shaking hands. I don't remember feeling queasy, just exhausted and jittery for the next five or six hours while i tried to fall asleep. :chuckle:

never touched the stuff since

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Informal Quixote's poll:

1. Do you own a dog?

2. Do you own more than one dog?

3. If you do or did own a dog (or more than one) and your neighbors didn't approve would you try to keep it a secret?

4. Would you be offended if your dog ownership was the cause of discriminatory conduct aimed at you?

5. Would you be angry if you were denied any right your non dog owning neighbors were?

6. Do you think it's natural or unnatural to own a dog?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Informal Quixote's poll:

1. Do you own a dog?

Of course ...

Of course ...

3. If you do or did own a dog (or more than one) and your neighbors didn't approve would you try to keep it a secret?

No ... I would, however, make sure that the dogs had a bodyguard during every potty break.

4. Would you be offended if your dog ownership was the cause of discriminatory conduct aimed at you?

Yes ... AND I would make whoever was responsible miserable ... :)

5. Would you be angry if you were denied any right your non dog owning neighbors were?

Of course ...

Both ... it's natural for loving, caring individuals to own and care for dogs.

Just as it is natural for those who are spiteful and sour to not own dogs and gripe about dog owners.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Wednesday Evening Gazette (a very special edition)

so what are you learning on tol?
That people with social disorders don't tend to own pets. :plain:
who the dog owners are
All sorts of people, really.
what are you learning about dog owners?
they need help
In educating people like you.
and the dog is helping them?
Pet owners tend to be more social, healthier and better adjusted than people who don't own dogs, so yeah. That's a fair statement.
some need two dogs to help them
I'm guessing that's doubly true if they live near you.
maybe you need help
I do
so get a dog
there are already too many dogs
Getting one doesn't entail making one. :plain:

Truth chimed in, of course...
i can't stand dogs
Utilizing the Chrys Gambit, that's a two to one anecdotal establishing the unassailable fact that most Catholics don't like dogs. :plain:

but other than that, they remind me of demons
Do squirrels remind you of demons?

Pot belly pigs?

Kites?

and someone who had a vision of Hell once said that there were demons there that look like dogs... so... I am vindicated.:D
:plain: I don't think that word means what I think it would have to mean for that to work.

Then chrys came through in stereo...
some of my best friends have dogs
Do you let them use the bathroom when they're over? (either) :eek:

now that is too clever for me
It was the punctuation, wasn't it.
but
I am sure your friends will laugh
You don't trust people who have those either, do you.

Else, don't sell yourself short. I'm spot on certain they already were. :plain:

And...
now a dog will make you feel important
Only if you value love.

Ending with...well, for now anyway...
you can at least respect a cat

For what?
Twenty, thirty minutes, tops. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Friday Evening Gazette

Differed with ASCon in the oddly revived Duder thread...
Anytime that you'd like to compare our beliefs with what the Bible says TH, I'm game.
Sure. I don't disagree with the Bible. Unless you've had your name changed legally to "the Bible", in which case I suppose I do. :plain:

I'm surprised that you changed your avatar.
I'm not surprised by your powers of observation. I've had any number of avatars, though I don't change it as frequently as some. I've had Jack in one bit or another more than once, Hobbes in a variety of poses for most of my time here and me in one or two variations.

I mean you can't have a mirror by your side 24/7 can you?
Doesn't bother me for people to see me as I am (either).

Oh, I forgot, there's your reflection in the computer monitor.
Except that, of course, no one sees their reflection in their monitor, though they get a pretty good look at you when they read the random nonsense you hammer out.

It must drive you crazy that one of us is gainfully employed.
I'm trying to imagine how much you must hate your life to be so repetitively jealous of my relative good fortune. :think:

But not even Tolkien had enough imagination for that. :poly: :nono:

The old notes were sounded from an atheistic perspective...
...God sets up a strange scenario which is like saying "don't eat that cake or something bad will happen" to a 3 year old and then leaves the room. On discovering that the child has taken a bite, this "loving" parent banishes the child into the back garden in the middle of winter.
No, it's more like God creates mountains and tells you, "Listen, if you jump off that mountain it's going to kill you."

Then you say, "But I think falling is fun. What sort of God would take that joy away from me, punish me because I want to fall."

We aren't three year olds (mostly) and we are fully capable of understanding our actions and the consequence of them.

Then...
Translation: Christians have low self esteem and they want to share that low self esteem with the whole world.
So you aren't in the atheist camp that declares the Christian vantage point egocentric and self important then...atheists, there's just no pleasing you. We're damned if we don't and damned if we do.

Where you've adopted a more streamlined approach. :eek:

Al weighed in...
But it wasn't an obviously dangerous mountain TH it was a tempting fruit.
Except nothing is as obvious as, "If you jump/eat you will die" coming from the one being you have absolutely no reason to mistrust and every reason to credit.

And...
In your mind I suspect that belief really is for you is an absolute binary thing,
It depends on the belief. What you're talking about is an expression of probability. But there are some questions that can't be met by probability or settled empirically. Those must be answered affirmatively or in the negative as a choice of context or expression of the experiential/lack thereof.

The question of God is just such an inquiry/conclusion.

There is no reason that I can see to hold them to an objective (gnostic) absolute on belief.
I'd say it's rationally inescapable. Either He is or He isn't. Your response is similarly couched. You can think but cannot live as though there might be a God and a standard/moral rule extending.

Then Granite had a word or two to consider...
One might ask what the ravine was doing there in the first place.
You can't make a mountain without one.

This is less a noble and loving deity and more like a cosmic Skinner with literally all the time in the world.
I disagree. I don't think He approaches that at all, but we have to consider what distinguishes us or any creature from God and then discuss the inevitability of evil and how God responds to it. Christ is evidence of anything but a Skinner like cosmic context.

Tomorrow? More on faith and a few things just for laughs...which can be confusing for the anti-theist. :plain:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Informal Quixote's poll:

1. Do you own a dog?
Not currently, but I have in the past.
One dog was enough, but she had a heart worth two or three dogs at least.
Depends on whether I like my neighbor... or maybe more on whether my neighbor is likeable.
I'd be more wary than anything. On guard. Who knows what someone like that might do?
Only their right not to have dog hair all over everything. That makes me really angry.
Natural. It's an ecumenical thing owning dogs, loving dogs, making them part of the family. It crosses all demographic lines.

More than anything I hate it when people own dogs and then chain them to a tree or never let them come in the house.

Last edited:

IMJerusha

Informal Quixote's poll:

1. Do you own a dog?

Yup.

Yup.

Nope.

Yup.

Yup.

Natural.

Hey, do I get a prize or something for taking the poll? I'll settle for a rep, Brother!...uh, a positive rep, please. :wave:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Early Bird Gazette

Shook my head at xA's tendency for the expected...
I haven't been banned in a while and I say things like:

Jesus died for your fins!

Ah, you know, Catholics say Protestants are proof that God has a sense of humor, while Protestants are equally sure Catholics are reason to suspect that He might not. :plain:

Spoke with Wile about ASCon's tendency...
...you're making a thread about absent fathers an anti-gay thing.
He'd make a cheese sandwich into a gay thing.

While over in Who Posted...
should we kill the dog?
If this horse is any proof it wouldn't matter. :plain:

And...
Most people, I'm convinced, are either not particularly rational or are so poorly trained that the inclination to be does more harm than good.
the ignorant have one special skill...
No, they don't. They only think they do because, you know...or do you? :shocked:

:plain:

In fairness he added,
ignoring intellectual idiots
but that was just...you know...or do you?
:shocked: :eek:

Butted in with Tinark...
Your morality is just as "subjective" as mine, despite your claims to the contrary.
It is or it isn't.

Claiming otherwise does not make it so.
No more than your claiming equality makes it so.

And the Numbers thread kept adding up...
Mulla Sadra
Thread(s) : 1
More than 3000 views : 1
More than 300 posts : 1

I am not planning on posting another thread :)
Then we'll never have a sufficient sample to know much about how you'd draw as a rule. As an exception it's...exceptional. :eek:

I hereby announce that Mulla is TOL's most relevant poster!

All the rest of you can go home now :p
Sadly, the best chance res has of being read in his mistaken conclusion is in a thread not of his own making. :plain:

Bulletin Bored:

Congrats to Nazarro, April's Cub Reporter. I was beginning to think resurrected was going to make a clean sweep but his run ends at three consecutive months, losing a close contest with more reports than in any of the prior wins.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Story Time With Jack

My son goes into the refrigerator today and I find him at the dining table with a tomato and a bottle of red wine (corked).

He says, "I make a salad."

And I say, "Yes, Jack, if you're an alcoholic." Which he thinks is funny, but mostly because of the sound.

So, wine goes on the highest shelf now. :poly:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thursday Afternoon Gazette

Starting off with a high tech/low concept bit...
I did when you started the thread :thumb: and then you asked if Zoo was worth praying for? I would keep your prayer list selective. :scripto:

(Pac Man image)
Because nothing quite screams Christian concern like a good Pac Man illustration.

:plain:

Unless it's a Defender illustration with little people carrying crosses and demonic ships trying to pick them up, of course...that probably went without saying.

But then, the Black Hole started drawing folks in...
Are TOLers going off the deep end? :shocked:

He's thinking about things.
I think it's darn near charming, you're thinking that thinking about things drives people off the deep end. :plain:

So;
This thread is not about me?
You're more like a warm, humorous red sun.

SD is a gas giant. :shocked:

Eeset is more of a quark...being fractious and all. :plain:

Continued to discuss gnostic labels with al...
I think that makes you gnostic TH.
It would if that was the totality of my experience and/or the full understanding of the term. But that's like suggesting Monty Python's The Meaning of Life was a pirate movie. :plain: :eek:

And absolutes with Pure...
...That you think it's God at all is your context.
Or it's God's imposition upon my context, which was God-free until the moment when that context was altered.

Nevertheless, the idea of it was there, and for whatever reason, it suddenly became your new reality.
Like suggesting that because a Hindu has heard of steak it's understandable that he have one now and again.

The need to maintain a sense of self-righteousness is a common human trait. Christianity as an organized religion has been selling people that phony self-righteousness for fun, profit, and power, for centuries.
I understand that you believe it to be true. I still don't know why you think I or anyone else should.

...we humans can't know the truth, in and of itself.
Then you can't know that is true and it follows that we humans may well be able to know the truth--the old problem of the relativist. As a larger context it's self defeating.

If you really knew that you can be mistaken, you would know that you could be mistaken about what "God" is or can or cannot be.
That's because you're impressing the I on both parts. I didn't. I said if God desires, irrespective of whether or not He did in my case or the next fellow's. As a logical proposition, if God desires to be known then He will be known. Just so, if God desired to be known and made Himself known to me then that knowledge is true. My experience is that this is precisely what happened. Now I'm either correct in that impression or I'm not. That's all that can be objectively said.

I honestly don't think you do know that you can be mistaken.
Then you should probably talk about my mother next. :D

Not really. You say it but you don't really believe it.
Welcome to zealotville, population you. :D The moment you feel it's okay to tell someone you know them better than they know themselves you're officially self righteous.

...I think it's a weak faith that has to rely on such blind arrogance to maintain itself.
Weak faith, blindness, arrogance. That sounds awful. It also sounds like someone losing possession of their composure or their argument, or lacking both.

I'm not saying this to be insulting or unkind.
Well, then you suck at praise and kindness. :plain:

The word "trust" does not define an absolute condition.
It does. You're talking about probability. But if it didn't then I'd just throw out the word and use the concept, so it's no impairment and nothing in any event.

Had a couple of things to say about potential mods...
IMO, Vegas would be a great choice for mod. He is fairly even tempered and not prone to personal vendettas.
I like him. Another right wing Christian, so no real departure, but a good egg and a fine choice.

I think fool would be the bolder choice and another good one. He has a sense of humor and no real enemies here that I'm aware of. And I don't think you have to be a Christian to understand and enforce the rules, that he'd be less inclined than most to jump the gun. Most of the suggestions have been good ones, though most would be polarizing on some level.

SD would spend too much of her time trying to track down IPs.

Psalmist would clog the machinery with graphics laced infractions. :D

Then vc flashed a mean streak :D...
And then we get to TH. (ancient Greek bust image--no, the other kind)

Busted? :plain: :eek:

Bastion of truth.
I was so close to reporting this one until I realized you'd written bastion. Man, I really need to consider reading glasses.

Purveyor of humor (sorry, AB, humo(u)r in your language).
Wha-WHAT?!?!? Wait...okay, I really do need those glasses.

...In all seriousness, though, I have liked TH since day one.
Back at you...and, of course, you're now only slightly more likely to become a mod. :chuckle:

Then again, I like most folks that aren't anti-bbq and beans, so I may not be saying anything particularly noteworthy.
Well, why change methodology this late in the game. :plain:

Tomorrow? I've been threatened with rain when I want it fair. :D

Last edited:

IMJerusha

"I was so close to reporting this one until I realized you'd written bastion. Man, I really need to consider reading glasses."

Dude, what's on your head? Sheesh!!

image.php