Town Quixote's

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Nihilo continued...
You misunderstood.
We have the obligation to defend ourselves. We have the right, and we have the duty. If we do nothing, then that's how police and military tend to become too socially powerful, along with not being under civilian control.
Our military is not and has not been held in check by our stash of assault weapons.
No one's disputed that. The Commander-in-Chief is a civilian.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Wrap
on Thursday

fool asked...
So has the Impeachment begun?
It's been 11 months now.
Rome wasn't sacked in a day. :eek:

Nihilo continued...
...I believe in absolute rights
An absolute right to bear arms would be without any particular restraint. You believe in the Court's version of a right you will then call absolute in that expression.

If we do nothing, then that's how police and military tend to become too socially powerful, along with not being under civilian control.
Our military is not and has not been held in check by our stash of assault weapons. That's not how it works. If we promote a respect for our institutions and remain actively and ethically engaged in the process of government we have little to fear from it. If we abrogate our responsibilities it becomes what we allow it to become.

While in the NFL thread...

The Cleveland Browns are now 1-26 in their past 27 games, 2-36 in their past 38 games, and 4-44 in their past 48 games...]If that's not bad enough, the Browns general manager Sashi Brown didn't think Carson Wentz was worth drafting, and traded Cleveland's pick to the Eagles.
Well, you know, like they say, "Misery loves Cleveland."

And on the Trump front...
I'm sure the "testimony" of a criminal guilty of LYING to the FBI is trustworthy. Who can believe anything Flynn says? That's why prosecutors don't use murderers to "testify" against shoplifters.
That's why no mob boss ever goes to jail. He's surrounded by criminals whose word can't be relied upon. :plain:

When GO said...
Conservatives think what Trump is doing is funny.
Finally someone from the right admits that conservatives don't have a sense of humor.

The most fun is watching the liberals get their panties in a bind whenever Trump says, tweets, or does something that is politically incorrect.
The less fun part is the damage being done to the institutions of government and the American people. But hey, a laugh's a laugh.

Had a word for Angel about the problem of riches...
Its no secret that narcissists makes the best leaders and businessmen - i doubt you ll find many who disagree that hes a narcissist.
Is Warren Buffet a narcissist? :think: I know a lot of rich people. I've traveled in larger circles among them as a child and young man. Most of them weren't narcissists. It's narcissists who get the most publicity because they seek it and have the means to make sure you know who they are. I think you find more narcissists in second or third generation on among the rich than in the general population, because they grow up with the entitlement that can blind and form you that way. By the third it's much harder for anyone to have a grounding, given no one in the loop has a living memory of having to really earn anything and their perspective on what that means begins at a different place. Earning and working take on a different understanding by that point and they'll sometimes confuse a common human experience, like employing regular Joes or eating fast food, with understanding what is really an alien concept outside of their experience. But they have no real appreciation of the one thing that alters a human perspective fundamentally, the feeling of real vulnerability.

Corrected a mistaken impression more frequently heard these days about the history of progressive politics...

...It was also the Democrats who fought the Civil Rights acts of the 1950s and 1960s
If you break down the vote among states that were a part of the Union vs states that had supported the Confederacy, you'll see that 100% of the pro Union Democrats voted for the Civil Rights Act. 85% of the pro Union Republicans voted for it. Meaning that outside of the South Democrats were more solidly behind the act than their Republican cousins, though the lesser majority is still a profound one.

Got fed up with Ktoyou...well, along with...
You should shop at Walmart; you would be doing me a favor. Use the online app, I never did, but many use that and like it
Kat
Reminds me of my bit about The Waffle House. You can go to Subway in our local Walmart, sit in a booth and watch the shoppers milling about, half of them dragging their feet and shuffling like zombies. It's like dinner and a show...albeit a very poorly written one.

And a newbie asked...
Does this always happen in a Newbie introduction?
Does the Pope wear his hat in the woods? :think: Does a bear...well, no.

Before closing with Yor finally giving me what I asked for...
For black markets, you make the items legal. This would be true of anything banned (or highly regulated) you don't want to have a black market in. Perhaps markets like drugs or guns that shoot more than one round.
To begin with, much of what is sold on the black market isn't illegal as a thing, but is merely stolen goods, from prescription drugs to guns. Of what's left...Prostitution, heroin, machine guns? That's your idea? Increasing the access and destructive power of what's on hand would be more of the same that wasn't working, though I'd agree it would rob organized crime of a profitable outlet.

For gangs you remove regulation so young men can get gainful employment.
What regulation? Child labor laws?

You stop giving public money to schools because whatever they've been teaching those boys it's not helping.
Yeah, the problem is giving those who can't afford it on their own an education. That will really pull people out of poverty.

For broken families, you've already identified that the problem is almost entirely single mothers.
Leaving off that you're wrong...no, let's not.

Therefore, you don't give mother's money to have fatherless kids.
We don't. We provide for children who otherwise wouldn't have proper healthcare or nutrition. You want to cut off that funding?

Also, accusations of domestic violence will require more evidence than the word of a single person.
It's actually rare that you only have that little and past emergency measures you have to stand before a jaded judge and make your case. And as the only one of us with real experience in the system relating to that, I can tell you that most domestic violence comes with bruises and police reports. A lot of them with medical histories too.

On the consequences of strong gun law:
Bad consequences like creating a new black market.
Hey, you want abortion mills? Because if you shut them down you'll send some women into the arms of criminals. Is that really an argument against closing abortion mills?

Or blaming people, and punishing them, for something that isn't their fault.
If you break the law it actually is your fault.

Or setting a further precedent that the government can take your stuff even if you've done nothing wrong.
By which you mean outlaw something that wasn't prior, like cocaine. Yes, we can do that and will continue to do that where there's a compelling case. Or were you talking about slaves?

Or leaving illiterate people unable to defend themselves, which is very elitist of you.
I never said we couldn't have oral examinations or help filling out forms. Your assumption is the culprit. I'm glad you're thinking about the illiterate though, given how your position on public education will likely swell their ranks.

And guns are the great equalizer that puts any small woman on the same level as the biggest man even with training that is no more than what she can get at the counter of a gun store.
In point of fact, if you don't know how to use a tool or aren't prepared to use it then the person who is will always have the advantage. In most cases, relating to guns, that favors the criminal.

Tomorrow? Snow, maybe...well, more snow then. :eek:

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Wrap
on December

Meshak decided to be an aggressive underdog...
Of course you side with trinity believers.
I believe in the trinity. I haven't brought it up in this thread. Mostly I've been trying to get everyone interested on the same friendly page, differences notwithstanding.

What are you trying to do?

what else is new.
:think: I give up, what?

When a new guy said...
Hello, New member.
:cheers:

Nobody special, just a child of God and enjoy His Word and exploring His word with others.
Make up your mind. ;)

And another was barely here when...

Hello
How do I cancel or delete my account?
That has to be the shortest distance between "Hello TOL!" and "Let me outta here!" ever.

After a disastrous handling of Eli Manning and a flubbed season, Pittsburgh came to the inadvertent rescue of the reeling G-men...
The Steelers released James Harrison
And the sound of champagne corks popping in the Giants front office was deafening.

Nihilo had a point to make about guns...
The founders support the notion of civilians having free access to standard issue military weaponry.
No, they supported it in their time, but in their time the people would have had access to and used weapons that were even less dangerous than the ones I'm talking about keeping.

WOTH provided conspiratorial insight...
54.3 percent of Americans do not believe the 'official' 911 story:
Well, that explains Trump right there and then some.

The "and then some" part has me worried. :plain:

Yor had a few ideas...here are a few of the same sort...
I'd say your objection is either poorly thought out or that you are an elitist.
I'm not sure what you mean by elitist...If you mean that I believe society should be led by an elite, I'd say that's true. People of superior virtue and wisdom, by way of example, would make better leaders than people with less of either.

...giving those who can't afford it on their own the government education we are giving them is harming them - obviously.
Anyone who believes that education harms someone is in need of additional education.

But, please note, if my position on government education were applied, we'd have a higher literacy rate.
Eliminating public education would raise the literacy rate? Do tell.

Even if you stop people from using guns for violence, they demonstrably don't care about that method used to hurt people.
It doesn't matter if they care. It matters that they find the means. It's easy to procure and use a gun to accomplish that end. It's much harder to find a viable alternative.

Jerry took time away from an unreasonable (if admirable) support of the Cowboys to go further afield...
Thank the LORD for Trump!
Like thanking a vegetarian for bacon.

He saved the Republic from dishonest Hillary and her minions!
And you know, I thought you'd never write anything crazier than some of your Cowboy posts... ;)

And...
You are so blinded by your liberal bias that you cannot think straight!
Nah. I'm no more a liberal than I'm a conservative, except on certain issues. I actively campaigned for people to NOT vote for either. And by either I mean Trump or Hillary.

The greatest danger to our Republic is from within.
The greatest danger to our Republic is the belief that makes us suspicious of neighbor and hateful of what should be often enough viewed as an honorable and thoughtful opposition. What's a danger to the Republic is contempt for its institutions and the men or women who promote it as a means to power.

Tomorrow? Fool defends a different sort of cowboy and Alabama says "When" to Moore. :plain:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
So having been under fire yourself, your story here is that you'd have not been better off, with a selective fire carbine in that situation? I'm incredulous.
What I'd say is that without serious skill and training, and an understanding of how the body behaves in that sort of situation it's foolish to believe a weapon with an automatic function will make you (and especially innocent others) safer.
So yes or no?
You missed this question. I need to know your answer here.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Wrap
on...

AB tried reasoning with one of the anti-science crowd and the response left him with a want of gravity, and this...
Try jumping and staying up in the air. After that fails try thinking.

Had an argument about an argument and argument itself with Yor...
So if there is support for it will you admit that means higher academia lacks wisdom and virtue?
Once again, no. I don't believe you'll support it, but irrespective of that it's a world on a turtle's back. You assume/assert by inference that believing in any particular economic philosophy or theory is indicative of a want of wisdom or virtue. I think that's an intellectually untenable position. Who decides the question and upon what empirically verifiable, objectively irrefutable foundation?

I'm only saying that finding the truth takes work.
No argument there.

And it requires that one expose themselves to the possibility of being wrong which can be hard sometimes.
Anyone who enters into an argument of parts does exactly that, I hope. That said, there is no virtue in pretending our best effort is suspect (if we thought it so we would still be searching) and no vice in insisting a better reason supplant it otherwise. Or, every reasonable soul is fallible, but then we know we contend among the (at best) equally fallible other.

Had a word with PJ in the conspiracy thread...
People, many who are Christians, believe a flat earth is possible.
Some people who are Christians can't locate Washington D.C. on a map. But being Christian has nothing to do with believing in a flat earth or map troubles. It's just a bad use of a Venn diagram.

You're consumed with the dangers of conspiracy theories and how "it hurts the world"?
Fewer than 50 posts against your working on 500 and I'm consumed by something?

Responded to CC on the efficacy of using a Trump wins the presidency prediction as a larger indicator of insight...
He knew what he was talking about when hen started this thread apparently.
I once, on St. Patrick's Day, threw a bullseye dart while nearly falling down drunk.

It didn't make me a darts champion.

jsanford called for a reasoned and civil difference on gun control, which had me hopeful, but before long...
Okay. I am not being condescending, but I am going to walk you through the first three parts of the document known as "We the People," and the Bill of Rights (preamble, first and second amendment), akin to a 5th grade history class.
:plain:

You can continue this preference for falsehood, but that would render you willfully ignorant.
And that's nonsense prima facie, as I cannot hold both the knowing advance of a falsity and be ignorant of the same. That's always been a lazy, irrational bit of rhetoric. Pick an insult.

You are trying to make an argument from authority (argumentum ad verecundiam).
No, I would be making an argument from authority had I advanced my qualifications and said that because of them my position on a particular (outside of an understanding or point directly tied to any or all of them) must be true.

Now here's what actually happened. You said that my remarks demonstrated "an ignorance of firearms". Responding that I am a life long hunter, possessing a qualified skill in their use, among other notes, is a clear rebuttal on the general point you make in your mistaken assumption.

And after Newt publicly proclaimed Trump a master of communication, I had to wonder...
Did he mean that in the post-literate society sense? :poly:

Free tried the ol...
Did you know there are studies out that show that college graduates show a either a decline in the ability to think critically over what they had when they entered college or no increase in that ability?
Who would have conducted those studies again?

More seriously...
If a man had a wooden leg would that make him, a table?
Depends on what you saw. :plain:

Happened upon a conversation in progress...
Do you consider Donald Trump to be an honorable man?
Compared to who?
Anyone with actual honor would be a good start. :plain:

I'm looking forward to this 'discussion'.
Did you mean to write deflection? :think: Or was it just her?

GM was busy being GM...
All I know is, Trump is, by far, the BEST president I've seen in my lifetime.
So you were legally blind prior to 2017? :think:

...Donald John Trump is #1 in my opinion.
As opposed to a really big #2?

Leading to the predictable...
Oh, the Town Clown has decided to lower himself and address one of my posts.
Well, I believe it's a good idea to give people a chance to do better, put the ball over the plate now and then and see what happens.

Goin' slummin' becomes you, little clown.
And another one in the dirt. But that's baseball for you. :)

Speaking of Trump...
Are you becoming nervous about the possibility that our president might just receive, higher approval ratings? :think:
No, I've watched a little reality tv. I know what people are capable of... :plain:

Tomorrow? Over the river and around the bend to grammar's house...something like that.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Looks like GM has closed his The Importance of Being Political Today thread...though in fairness it was the only way you he could keep him from spamming the thing to pieces. :plain:

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Looks like GM has closed his The Importance of Being Political Today thread...though in fairness it was the only way you he could keep him from spamming the thing to pieces. :plain:

Wouldn't that have been a travesty, pal? I see you're still on the attack. That's fine with me. I tried to show you a little kindness/civility and this is how you repay me? Your character needs some improvement.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Wouldn't that have been a travesty, pal? I see you're still on the attack.
It's a miracle you survived it. :plain: The pure viciousness of being told indirectly that you can turn a thread into the next nearest thing to a Twitter account.

That's fine with me. I tried to show you a little kindness/civility and this is how you repay me? Your character needs some improvement.
Everyone's character needs some improvement.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
TH, I don't do this often, however, I'm willing to admit publicly; I truly do not fully comprehend most of your 'sarcastic sense of humor?' However, I realize that you have a historical 'fan base' on TOL and I won't take THAT away from you. As I've mentioned before; I highly doubt members of your 'fan base' always fully comprehend your so-called wit? I'm of the opinion, they just slap their knee and assume you said something uproariously funny. After all, they wouldn't want to hurt your fragile feelings/ego. No offense intended, as usual.